Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-12-2010, 10:24 PM   #61
Tim Ayers

Default Re: As a long time HAMBer, I find this new FordBarn.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 296 V8 View Post
Yes
This is a good thing less crowded and no…………………………….. Just beautiful real old fords.

Can't agree more. Shelly started a great thing with Fordbarn.

The HAMB is certainly cool and some incredible craftsman hang there and are more than willing to share their knowledge and skills. Go by banjorear on there.

Sometimes the tatooed & mile high duck tailed crowd gets a bit old, but once you wade through that, tons of good stuff on there.

Sometimes its refreshing to get back to basics.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 05-13-2010 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Sleepy and cranky when I typed it.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:59 AM   #62
rocnroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rg0 View Post
I think the interesting difference is the Ford only aspect.

So does this mean that after all these years, I'll have to take my Merc powered Willys and go play somewhere else?

Last edited by rocnroll; 05-13-2010 at 10:05 AM. Reason: picture
rocnroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:01 AM   #63
TomT/Williamsburg

I see Fordbarn as being all about flatheads and/or Fords - whatever condition, type of build, or type vehicle they may be in. If there's a flattie and/or a Ford (within the years specified - Model T, A, Early and late) then Fordbarn is what it's all about. If Fordbarn is all about stock flatheads in stock vehicles we'd be a non-paying Early Ford V8 site - I know that Fordbarn is NOT what that is about.

The HAMB, to me, is about ALL modified, stock, custom makes, models and engines - it's everything with some of THE most creative and talented car people on the planet. I'm not just talking about the shops that are on there, I'm talking about guys working out of their garages, turning out phenomenal cars on shoe-string budgets. Regardless of what you think about some of the very few on there in so far as their their manner, their language, and/or their behavior, you owe it to yourself to check out some of the build threads - just lurk and see for yourself the unbelievable talent. What these guys, and gals as well, build starting out with so little or nearly nothing is just unreal. AND, many, many of their builds are with flatheads, top loader 3-speeds and banjo rears. Many, many of them are grey beards just like the rest of us as well!

Keep an open mind about things folks and enjoy the ride wherever it might take you.
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:10 AM   #64
Ryan
Administrator

rocnroll.... uhhh... no... that thing is COOL!
Old 05-13-2010, 11:54 AM   #65
jerseyboy

Well said TomT!

Here is a link to one of my all-time favorite builds. This guy takes a bunch of junk parts and makes a beautiful 32 rpu out of it! Just one of many great threads on the HAMB.

LINK: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=299603

I think the Barn has just as much to offer in it's own way. Now let's start posting!
Hooked up on it now.
I tried to hook another
To see if I'd do a little good,
But ain't no place to put it
'Less I perforate the hood.

Wanted, lower side sections of 32 radiator cowl.
jerseyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:04 PM   #66
TomT/Williamsburg

I remember this build - just another day for someone on the HAMB, building something from nothing. Just jaw dropping work .....
Old 05-13-2010, 12:24 PM   #67
0rg0

Fords, Mercs, Meteors, whatever. Maybe we could even talk about my Edsel.

And as far as Merc powered Willys are concerned, absolutely fantastic.
0rg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:42 PM   #68
rocnroll

I loved reading that build too.....and I remember the first time I ever saw pics of the engine..AWESOME!

I built a jeep but it's got alot of Ford rpu influence...I said when I started it "I've got friends that are jeepers and friends that are rodders, and I'm going to build something that doesn't fit in either place."

Was just joking then but how true it is now that it's done! Most of the rod shows the guys like it but it's 4WD so it doesn't fit there really....the jeep shows, well it's not really good for much of anything..in my words 'it's a sissy jeep'. They like it but "you don't do alot of rock crawlin' with that thing do ya?"

Even better is the fact that a few freelance photographers have shot it but it doesn't fit many magazine formats either so.........

Thanks for the kind words....I appreciate it.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:36 PM   #69
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT/Williamsburg View Post
I remember this build - just another day for someone on the HAMB, building something from nothing. Just jaw dropping work .....

Neil is also a Fordbarner. I think the picture of him & his dad behind his beautiful flathead which went into his '32 RPU was a feature month.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:19 PM   #70
Django

Complaining about being strictly ALL-Ford, and then posting corvair stuff? Even as an example, who cares?

Maybe Ryan can develop an image recognition plug in so you can't even post a photo of non-Fords.

I've been on both boards for years. I've gotten great help with issues and parts on both. This new format is a welcome change!

I would segregate it even more though: 32-48, 49-53, so I don't have to wade through the late model stuff.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:42 PM   #71
denverslim

Ok, segregate it some more....so's we don't have to wade through all that early stuff. LOL...slim
denverslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:08 PM   #72
butch27

I'm a HAMBER and my real love is the old Ford parts we put the cars together with.
butch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:14 PM   #73
55 dude

the new format was just in time because i'm in the process of adopting a 37' ford 2dr. sdn. that is stock and until now all my 30's era vehicles that were stock had been mopars. good things going on here.
55 dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:16 PM   #74
Broman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52merc View Post
i find it strange that all you hamb guys want to come abored the ford barn..you certainly didnt when it was the old barn,so how come guys????trev

Not to pick on this question or anything - I can totally understand that the long time "Barners" must feel like us HAMBers are kind of party crashing. After all you've been here a long while - we haven't - and we all kind of came over all at once with a distinct advantage (already knowing the interface).

Here is the bottom line. We all love cars. Specifically Fords. We either own one or just love them in general.

At the HAMB you will see a question about a 1966 Buick Riviera Kustom right next to a post about a 1932 Ford roadster set up for the dry lakes. I am not calling that a drawback at all - that's the kind of thing that makes the HAMB fun.

On the other hand coming over here - with this fomat of having the years broken out and the focus being Fords. What's not to love about that? How could any traditional hot rod lover NOT want in on that? Let's face it, hot rodding was built on the backs of the early Fords. So the attraction is as pure and natural as a the rising of your pulse when you see a truly beautiful woman.

And if I might add. Ryan built the HAMB under protest. He didn't want a Hokey Ass Message Board in the first place....but WE wanted it. And so it was born. Over time the main HAMB users have developed a bond and a very family like suppoprt system. We have supported Ryan in many other ways and this is just one more.

You can bet that if Ryan came to the HAMB tomorrow and announced that he was kicking off a toy poodle message board - HAMBers would show up without being asked to do so. That's just how we roll. That support doesn't come blindly by any means. It's been earned. Ryan has a way of seeing the big picture. He can take something that someone else can't seem to get right and he will make it right. He has vision and passion. Bottom line we've just learned to trust him - even if we can't see the forest through the trees, because we know he's holding the proverbial compass.

~Bro
Old 05-19-2010, 07:14 AM   #75
TomT/Williamsburg

Well said and I agree totally ....
Old 05-19-2010, 08:17 AM   #76
jerry grayson

Some of the things I like, but sometimes I find this new format cumbersome to use and more than a little confusing. The old method on the swap site much easier to navigate. I would hope that the hot rod stuff would be kept to a minimum.
jerry grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:32 AM   #77
rocnroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52merc View Post
i find it strange that all you hamb guys want to come abored the ford barn..you certainly didnt when it was the old barn,so how come guys????trev

Probably has about as much to do with the format as anything. Maybe the interest was there before but finding the format uncomfortable it wasn't used.....much like some of the 'old Barners' not being comfortable with the 'new' format.

It's sad to see the 'us versus them' taking place when there could be even more of a knowledge exchange happening with the larger audience.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:38 PM   #78
flatjack9

I really haven't seen an "us vs them" mentality. I think everyone is welcome when it comes to old Fords.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:57 PM   #79
KIRK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broman View Post

You can bet that if Ryan came to the HAMB tomorrow and announced that he was kicking off a toy poodle message board - HAMBers would show up without being asked to do so.

~Bro

Is that tpmb.com or traditionalpoodles.com or hapb.com? I can't seem to find it.
KIRK! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:40 PM   #80
rocnroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatjack9 View Post
I really haven't seen an "us vs them" mentality. I think everyone is welcome when it comes to old Fords.
You haven't noticed posts about the 'old board' vs the 'new' board and how the HAMBers are "suddenly coming over here"?

Are you reading all the posts?