Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-25-2010, 02:51 PM   #1
oldford

Default What year is the best; 1934 or 1935

I guess there will always be a debate on what year ford is the best looking. Up until now I have always own 34 fords and thought they were by far the best looking ford ever made. Now I own a 35 coupe and even though the 34 probe ably still will win the award as the coolest car, the 35 by far is superior in the improvements they made from 34. It’s like in 35; ford set down (or who ever) and decide to make a real car. There are to many improvements to list. I will just say the 35 is one hell of a car.
oldford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:20 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: What year is the best; 1934 or 1935

With a bunch of old Ford lovers here, I'm sure it will be mix and match. Personally I'll take 10 of each.

My Dad had a 35 coupe during his training period before flying over to North Africa and Italy during the war. I think he drove that thing from San Diego, Ca to Pecos, Tx & then on to Avon Park, Fl and never had any trouble with it. I think he wished he hadn't sold it either even though he had some pretty nice cars after the war.

Kerby
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:28 PM   #3
CWPASADENA

It is a matter of what you like. I would hope there were improvements in the '35 over the '34 Ford. It is sort of like the differences in a '33 over a '32. Every "Generation" brought changes and improvements. In the thirties, with the depression and such, the new car market was getting more competative and the manufacturers had to offer more then the year before to keep attracting the smaller number of new car buyers.

I have Model A's, '32s and '34s. I like the looks of my A Roadster and it is fun to drive around the local area but my '32 is a much more "Civilized" car to drive. My '34 is better then my '32 as it has a longer wheel base and more room. I have never owned a '35 but I am sure it is more comfortable then my '34.

A '41 may have improvements over a '40 but personally, I like the looks of a '40 better.

It just gets back to what a person wants. They are all good cars.

Just my opinion,

Chris
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:57 PM   #4
fordscript

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I am fortunate that I own a 34 coupe and a 37 coupe, they are both good cars, but there is no doubt about which is the 'better' car. The 37 has it in every way. Comfort, ease of driving, brakes. My everyday driver is a very original 38 deluxe, and it is better than the 37, in some respects. I once restored a 35 3w coupe...that car had the most comfortable (early ford) seat in it I have ever sat in. Backrest came right up to my shoulders. Compared to a 34, a 35 is a very solid well built car.
fordscript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:25 PM   #5
bonesy

Even as the owner of a '35 - I fully believe the '34 is a much better looking car.
bonesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:12 PM   #6
paul2748

This is one of those inane questions or is somebody is trying to get a rise out of others. No matter what you like the best, some one else will like something else the best. What is best? - its all in the eye of the beholder.

Posts like these out to be banned.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:16 PM   #7
Buford

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
This is one of those inane questions or is somebody is trying to get a rise out of others. No matter what you like the best, some one else will like something else the best. What is best? - its all in the eye of the beholder.

Posts like these out to be banned.
What's wrong with comparing old cars to one another? This is a discussion forum after all...maybe you should banish yourself from this forum...
Buford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:34 AM   #8
Bassman/NZ

I take issue with the word best..... best what? Best looking, best performance? Best value, best comfort? Questions like this are OK, but need to have a few parameters.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:36 AM   #9
Fe26

It's all subjective guys, I for one like to discuss these topics. These topics if approached in the right way can lead to interesting discussions and opinions being freely expressed in a forum, and which I believe Fordbarn to be.

Words like 'best' I agree are best left alone (excuse the pun). However, surely we are adult enough to understand that one mans sauce is another mans gravy. I say Hat's Off to oldford for raising this topic, I think such discussions are a breath of fresh air when the larger part of this forum is taken up with the rather dry topics of building and maintaining our cars.

Having said that, my weak spot is the '33-34' grille, I think one would be hard pressed to nominate a better looking grille on any ford car, ever.

For me the '35' stylistically is a major break from what has gone before. For the first time we get a glimpse of a new body style that in a few years time '38-40' would become regarded as the quintessential Art-Deco styling of the automobile. The rest as they say is history...
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:28 AM   #10
tub1

i sure wouldnt swap my old 35 ford a 34, everytime i drive it im 17 again and it feels so comfortable like a old pair of shoes but !!!!!! 33 and 34 ford must be the most wonderful design ever much better looking than them 32s
tub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:01 AM   #11
jimTN

33/4's have the most favorable visual design characteristics by far. 35's were an upgrade of that design with everything larger. Also lots of mechanical parts for the 35 will interchange up thru 40 where the 33/4 were animals to themselves for frame and running gear. There is no doub't, both are extremely popular and both were used widely on the dirt tracks.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:28 AM   #12
danliveshere

I personally prefer the 35. Yet I can go to the nationals and admire the complete range of Henry's finest . I like seeing how enthusiests "perfect" their cars with subtle styling cues of their own, or return a car to how Henry had it roll off the line. But one thing is for sure, which ever is your fancy, drive it , enjoy it and keep them on the road for there is nothing sweeter than a flattie purring down the motorway.
danliveshere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:02 AM   #13
sturgis 39

I like all of the flathead Fords. I even liked the Edsel. I liked when you could tell what year a car was manfactued. I do not like european styling or german engineering. We have better styling and engineering in the United States. The old Fords are cute compared to Olds, Chevy, Dodges, Nashes and Studebakers. The short hoods made the old fords cute. Sixty years ago my dad said they would start making the modle A again. He was pretty close when they started making the Shays. Dad had model A cars and trucks. He also had a 36 Ford coupe and a 34 Ford coupe.

Last edited by sturgis 39; 09-26-2010 at 09:15 AM. Reason: forgot a couple of capitol letters
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:03 AM   #14
blucar

The '34 Fords were very attractive cars, there are many things about the '33's that just don't quite get it.. I have come close a couple of times to buying a '34, then changed my mind.
To me the '35 Ford is like the '33, yes there were many improvements over the '33-34 cars, both design wise and mechanical. In reality, other than the '32, the '36 Ford is the most sought after car of the 1930's.
Of course I may be impartial because the '36 coupes, three window or five window are the cars that most people lust for. Of course I should add that it goes without saying that the '36 open cars are at the top of the desirability list.
To say that the Fords were the best looking cars of the 1930's, is like saying Ma Kettle was better looking than Jean Harlow... Chrysler, GM, Nash and Studebaker made some great looking cars in the 1930's...
Packard made some of the best looking cars ever produced... If my ship ever comes in, which would provide me with a suit case full of money, I would purchase a 34-37 Packard in a heart beat.
Lastly, if the dialog in this forum has to be confined to strictly comments about the purity of the EFV8's, then I fear the membership and comments herein will slowly fall off, like other marque specific forums have..
Old 09-26-2010, 12:04 PM   #15
FL&WVMIKE

I drive both my original 1934 and 1935 FORDS often. I believe that the 1934 is the better looking, but you sure can tell the improvements made in 1935 chassis.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:58 PM   #16
Frank The Plumber

If I am allowed to do another it will be a 34.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:28 AM   #17
Bob/Pa

34 wins with me, had mine since 52 and still drives as good as ever. Also is my age since I was born 34..so we celabrate each year together. Hopefully a lot more years togo.
Bob/Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:41 AM   #18
weemark

since i have 2 35s ive got to say i prefer '35s over '34s - i like they way '34s look but i think they look very modern if that makes sense, the shape of the body is way ahead of their time. i think 35s have more space in them than earlier cars but once it gets later i think that 39/40s are a touch too big so for me they are about right. also something about the way the front of the car sits that does it for me.

ive never driven a '34 only a '35 so cannot compare in that sense.
weemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:43 AM   #19
'36 5W

I cannot imagine why Bob would be biased toward the '34; he has only been a "proud parent" for 58 years!
Robb
'36 5W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:47 PM   #20
Richard (EV8G)

I have owned 34's for many years. I like everything about them (except maybe for the brakes...) and they have enough room for my long legs; much more than a 32, of which I have also owned some.

35's have always been sort-of orphans, as 36's were more popular/desirable, even though they are very similar to a 35. Styling is a matter of taste, and I guess 35's didn't taste as good???

As far as engineering, I cannot think of anything on a 35 that is significantly
better than a 34. I realize that the frame on a 35 is probably stronger than a
34 frame, but I really like the looks of a 34 frame. They are good without being over-done. Some things that others see as an improvement, I do not see that way. I see it as simpler is better. The 35 has a longer spring base which may
provide a better ride? but my 34's ride just fine. The rear axle has larger pinion bearings, but I have never had any problems with the pinion bearngs in
my 34's. The 35 has the engine mounted further forward, but that makes the
transmission further forward and the torque tube needs to be REALLY long and they are a PITA to get out of the car. Also probably puts more weight at the
front??? which could (adversely) effect handing? Both have mechanical brakes - don't really need to go into THAT??? (35 shoes are 1/4" wider than 34's, but a 35 is probably heavier...) Both have wire wheels... one is an inch smaller. The engines and transmissions are essentially the same... The 35 does have a crankcase vent, so instead of the fumes being in the engine room they are down under the car - they still end up in the car (cough, hack, yech.) Did they really think that silly-looking air scoop would do any good??? The steering gears are the same, although the 35 has cross-steering, which is arguably an improvement...
but then again, maybe not??? The 35 has a sector seal, which was rawhide originally and probably leaked, but they had to do something, since the shaft was now pointing downward...

The functionality of suicide doors vs. regular doors can be debated, but I find it alot easier to get in and out of the 34 - can literally plop my (behind) into the
seat first and then drag my (very long) legs in after. With regular doors, I am always getting my (big) feet stuck between the forward part of the door and the corner of the seat...

Disclaimer: Really, I like 35's and all other years that have mechanical brakes, I really do, honest, no kidding...

Last edited by Richard (EV8G); 09-28-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Richard (EV8G) is offline   Reply With Quote