Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-07-2013, 02:31 PM   #61
TomT/Williamsburg

Default Re: A 'Barner Run to Bonneville

On Sat I took a 1-day bonsai run in the roadster to the Heavy Rebel show in Winston Salem, NC - 250 miles each way. A tune up for B-ville as the car was loaded with just about everything save for luggage for the trip. The car ran great, no problems what-so-ever. I just need to grease the rear wheel bearings and adjust the brakes and I'm ready to go.

The car had so much weight in it that it rode like a caddy! It's going to be a smooth ride, Chuck !
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #62
41ford1

That is good news. Counting the days, Tom. Counting the days. I want the next 3 weeks to rocket by. Then the trip needs to be in slow motion. It needs to be savoured.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #63
TomT/Williamsburg

Update from the Bones thread on the HAMB - ************ UPDATED **********

Forget the nightly ice cream stand meets come out and hang with us for the night , better yet run a way with the circus:

Sat, Aug. 3rd - lunch at the steak and lube - 1:00 - I-90 EXIT 24, 7851, Peach Street, Erie PA
Sat. night (6:00 - on) , parking lot cookout (might even be a few adult beverages), Econo Lodge, Perrysbugh ,OH. 1-419-874-8771

Sun. night, Aug 4th - (6:00 -on) parking lot cookout , Motel 6 , I-80 East at Exit #142A/I-80 West at Exit #142, 3225 Adventureland Drive, Altoona , IA. 1-515-967-5252 .

Mon night, Aug 5th - (6:00 - 7:00) cocktails in the parking lot - dinner at the Whiskey Creek Motel 6, I-80 at US 83, Exit #177, 1520 S Jeffers Street North Platte , NE. 1-308-534-6200

Tues, Aug 6th - lunch at the Village Inn 12:00 at the inter section of I-80 and 25, 2410 West Lincolnway, Cheyenne WY
Tues night ( 6:00 - on ) cook out in the parking lot , La Quinta Inn, 2717 Dewar Dr, Rock Springs , WY. 1-307-362-1770

Weds, Aug 7th - 12:00 lunch cookout in the parking lot - La Quinta in Orem - 1100 West 780 North, Orem, UT 1-801-235-9555. That night we will be at the Salt Flat Speed Shop party

Thurs until the following Weds night - on the salt during the day and the parking lot of the Nugget at night.

Hot rod . custom , rat rod who cares come on out bring something to toss on the grill , a cooler full of whatever you drink . bring your best lies and hang out . It's what this stuff is supposed to be about.
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by TomT/Williamsburg; 07-09-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #64
TomT/Williamsburg

So, I do believe we have our entire route planned with the Bones portion given in the post prior to this one.

First, we'll meet up with the Bones on the way out @ the Erie, PA lunch stop listed above.

Unless this cannot be for whatever reason, we'll be stopping @ Speedway for the afternoon museum tour on Aug 5th - we'll catch up with the Bones again that evening.

For our trip home we will leave Wendover on the 15th of August early early, heading for the HAMB Drags in Joplin, MO, perhaps stopping @ Pete and Jakes if time permits, getting to Joplin in time for the Friday night (16th) festivities.

We leave Joplin on Sunday and hopefully tour Starbird's museum that day.

From Starbird's, we will follow Rt 66 up to St Louis and perhaps beyond, depending on time. I've bought the Rt 66 maps so we take in as much of the original roadway/route and keeping off of the interstates as much as possible We will meander our way towards home at some point, stopping by to visit the Iron Lords in Concord, NC on our last night on the road.

From St Lou we have 2 plans - if time is short, we will probably go through Paduca, Clarksville, Nashville, and Knoxville, TN, Ashville, NC and then on into Concord. If we have more time, we'll mosey on up to Speedway, IN, catch the speedway museum and drop in on Bubba's Ignition. From there we'll go south through Cincinnati, Lexington, Knoxville, and then across towards Ashville and Concord.

Any and all 'Barners/HAMB folks in and around either route home from Joplin we'd love to hook up with. Just reply here and/or PM me and we'll figure out how to meet and when .....
Old 07-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #65
911 STEVE

check out ChevyLand Museum in Elm Creek, Nebr. Its just off I80 near Kearney. they dont appear to have a website, but if you google chevyland, nebraska you can get info about it
911 STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #66
911 STEVE

OOOOOPS, I forgot. another great place is Ole's Big Game Lounge in paxton, ne. 30 miles west of of north platte. typical small town bar but Ole was a big game hunter and all his mounts are there. elephant, zebra, giraffe, elk, deer, a full size polar bear. you name it and its there. GREAT FOOD ALSO.
911 STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:45 AM   #67
TomT/Williamsburg

We just got our first night planned - we'll be in Leechburg, PA on Friday, Aug 2nd, and attending the Tarentum, PA cruise night - check it out here:

http://www.carcruises.com/cruise_detail.asp?eid=24237

If you live close by come on out ....
Old 07-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #68
41ford1

Good plan. That aught to keep us out of, or maybe in, trouble until we run away with the Rolling Bones circus.
Come on out and meet a couple of run away's.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:35 PM   #69
2 deuces

Tom, I have been following your post on here and the HAMB. So glad to see it all come together for you this year. You will not regret it.
So I will see you at "The Shop" for lunch on Monday.....You will never forget this lunch I bet.
Mayor Dennis
Bones Pit Crew Member
2 deuces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #70
TomT/Williamsburg

Some updates: Chuck and I will be at the Starbird Museum on Sunday, Aug 17th, staying in Carthage, MO that evening - Chuck is scoping out a good place to stay ....

On Monday, Aug 19th, we'll zig and zag our way on Rt 66 to Cuba, MO and stay at the Wagon Wheel Motel that evening on Rt 66. From there we'll continue exploring things on Rt 66, go through St Louis, see the arch, and we've decided to continue on Rt 66 through Illinois, cutting east towards Speedway, Indiana at some point. We'll make a stop @ Bubba's Ignition either on Wed the 21st or Thursday the 22nd of August, then head towards Concord, NC for a visit with the Iron Lords and home the next day ....
Old 07-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #71
TomT/Williamsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 deuces View Post
Tom, I have been following your post on here and the HAMB. So glad to see it all come together for you this year. You will not regret it.
So I will see you at "The Shop" for lunch on Monday.....You will never forget this lunch I bet.
Mayor Dennis
Bones Pit Crew Member
Mayor D - we heard about this lunch from Ken and it has thrown a monkey wrench into our plans for visiting Speedway somewhat. Speedway has always been on my bucket list but this lunch adn its location sounds really intriguing. I think we can still do both and get to North Platte, NE late that night - we'll just have to see ...
Old 07-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #72
JM 35 Sedan

Tom, we will be riding with you and Chuck in spirit if you can find time to post daily trip details and pictures. You guys will have the time of your lives. It's a very relaxed atmosphere on the Salt. Most of the pit crews will welcome your visits and conversations. The nightly gatherings at the Wendover Golden Nugget are a show in themselves and not to be missed. Take your time and drive safely enjoying every minute of the way out and back. I am still on a "Rocky Mountain High" from our Cross Country Grand Tour to and from Lake Tahoe.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #73
Milt K from Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT/Williamsburg View Post
We just got our first night planned - we'll be in Leechburg, PA on Friday, Aug 2nd, and attending the Tarentum, PA cruise night - check it out here:

http://www.carcruises.com/cruise_detail.asp?eid=24237

If you live close by come on out ....
Tom,
Today was the first time I noticed this thread, don't know how I missed it. I will try to be at the Friday cruise at the Pittsburgh Mills to see the caravan. This does sound like a bucket list to me too. My roadster ('34) with it's 411 rear wouldn't be too easy a trip!! My '53 convertible could be another thing. I do fear the security prospects of these trips. See you in Pa.

Milt K from Pa
Milt K from Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:48 AM   #74
TomT/Williamsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Tom, we will be riding with you and Chuck in spirit if you can find time to post daily trip details and pictures. You guys will have the time of your lives. It's a very relaxed atmosphere on the Salt. Most of the pit crews will welcome your visits and conversations. The nightly gatherings at the Wendover Golden Nugget are a show in themselves and not to be missed. Take your time and drive safely enjoying every minute of the way out and back. I am still on a "Rocky Mountain High" from our Cross Country Grand Tour to and from Lake Tahoe.
Chuck and I will do our best to get daily updates out - we are so looking forward to the trip and planning it has been a lot of fun (until the first breakdown which will throw our entire schedule into the toilet!!!) ....
Old 07-19-2013, 07:49 AM   #75
TomT/Williamsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt K from Pa View Post
Tom,
Today was the first time I noticed this thread, don't know how I missed it. I will try to be at the Friday cruise at the Pittsburgh Mills to see the caravan. This does sound like a bucket list to me too. My roadster ('34) with it's 411 rear wouldn't be too easy a trip!! My '53 convertible could be another thing. I do fear the security prospects of these trips. See you in Pa.

Milt K from Pa
Milt - we'll be there once we've checked into our B&B. Hopefully there's a good place to eat there .... We'll be on the lookout for you ...
Old 07-31-2013, 09:54 AM   #76
TomT/Williamsburg

Chuck got here yesterday and we immediately got my brakes adjusted, oil changed, we went over everything on the car and in the trunk eliminating certain things and adding others, repacking it with enough room for our bags, and loaded his GPS with all of the addresses as we know them up to now. To say we are stuffed is an understatement - you can sure pack a lot in a little roadster when you have to!
Old 08-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #77
41ford1

We are ready to go in the AM. The roadster is loaded sleeping in the garage tonight. Its raining right now. Tom and I are set to roll. The anticipation is killing us.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (65.8 KB, 37 views)
Old 08-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #78
JM 35 Sedan

Wishing you two a great and safe trip out and back. Keep us posted on the adventure.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #79
41ford1

The run up to Leechburg, PA was perfect. The weather and traffic could not have been better. The roadster is an excellent driver. Tom and I went to a cruise night to see what is happening in the area. The main interest in the area is muscle cars, not so much stockers or flatheads. We also met a couple of HAMBers. Jeff (54sled) and family,and Chris (solosketchstudios).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (59.2 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by 41ford1; 08-02-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:04 PM   #80
Mike in AZ

have fun, guys....looking forward to more posts from the road....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote