Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-13-2016, 05:49 PM   #1
coupe1942

Default Went to the drive in today and saw...........

Out of over a hundred cars at the Guthrie, OK. car show, only one Model A which was basically stock, but in real need of restoration or at least cosmetic upgrade. Sort of sad as I had thought I'd see more A's. They had a few rods which started out as Model A's, but even that showing was miniscule.

Someone posted a photo at the Ahooga site of Model A's and other vehicles at the drive in from back in the 30's. Nice photo. I got a couple of photos of the stock A at the drive in, but not even close to that neat photo posted at the other website.

It was hotter 'n hell on that drive....... But still fun to have gone, anyway.

I got a job at our local drive in as a kid when the owner decided it was cheaper to hire me than to always be looking at the fence line or in a truck of a car when I snuck in. Ahhhh, the stories i could tell of folk steaming up the car windows or even when one guy got so excited that he or his girlfriend actually kicked the car door open when they were doing something besides watching the movie. He had to wiggle back and actually get outside of his car in order to pull his pants back up and zip is fly. I believe every car in the place had someone witness that and honk their horns forever. He and his gal drove off without seeing the rest of the movie that night. :-)

My brother and I snuck in to see Bonnie and Clyde one night when that movie first came out and it was so cold and snowing that we just about froze as we sat outside in the metal patio chairs. I believe out teeth chattered louder than the old speakers we had to listen to the movie with. I can't even begin to count how many of those old metal speakers we had to replace from folk either driving off with them still attached in the window of their car or trying to steal them. I never saw an A at those movies though, so today sort of brought back some memories in even walking around a real drive in parking lot.

I never found the owner of this A when there. It needed a lot of work, for sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7097.jpg (109.0 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7088.jpg (111.0 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7084.jpg (132.4 KB, 297 views)

Last edited by coupe1942; 08-13-2016 at 05:59 PM.
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:36 PM   #2
james hitchcock

Default Re: Went to the drive in today and saw...........

I love it just as is. Make sure mechanically sound and then go.
james hitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:02 PM   #3
coupe1942

I agree, but unfortunately, it was not very mechanically sound at all when looked at closely.

I love unrestored ones too. To me, this one just seemed to lack a lot yet to put it into that category of being safe. That is exactly what I am currently doing with my own pickup though. Making it road worthy before returning it to being a daily driver. Not rushing that to happen before it is indeed safe. Anxious to get it on the road, but still allowing me to cool my heels before doing such. I like safe...... :-)
Old 08-13-2016, 08:31 PM   #4
Pickupman

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe1942 View Post
I agree, but unfortunately, it was not very mechanically sound at all when looked at closely.

I love unrestored ones too. To me, this one just seemed to lack a lot yet to put it into that category of being safe. That is exactly what I am currently doing with my own pickup though. Making it road worthy before returning it to being a daily driver. Not rushing that to happen before it is indeed safe. Anxious to get it on the road, but still allowing me to cool my heels before doing such. I like safe...... :-)
Just curious as to what was not mechanically sound on the car?
Pickupman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:46 PM   #5
modelAtony

Really nice looking trailer hitch. I like the orig. looking car NICE. Have fun modelAtony tony white Lafayette, LA
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:00 PM   #6
coupe1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickupman View Post
Just curious as to what was not mechanically sound on the car?
Totally subjective on my part and, as I said, I do like the unrestored ones also, but condition of brakes and wiring I saw when looking it over and in looking under the old girl. All things which could be easily repaired or upgraded, but to be really safe and road worthy I would not have put this one on the road right away, myself. No specific photos to show what I was addressing though.

I did have one photo of the passenger side of the engine bay, but it didn't show just what I was concerned about; just the fact that it needed some attention pretty badly to bring it up to snuff.

On a lighter note though, I did find a Model A with a "Bone" stock set of mirrors on it. (See photo) :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7085.jpg (95.5 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg 34.jpg (54.8 KB, 93 views)
Old 08-14-2016, 12:08 PM   #7
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

They are only original once. Lots of people have restored cars but few have an originaL. Make it safe and get ready for the time of your life. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:39 PM   #8
H. L. Chauvin

Most in our rural area looked like this in the late 1940's and early 1950's when they were the only car our lower income citizen's could afford.

It beat walking, hitchhiking, or riding 10 miles on a bicycle for mandatory trips to places like a drug store or doctor's office.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 02:01 PM   #9
TinCup

It's amazing with over 150 cars in the local club, new cars seem to pop up almost every day. Many are recycled from former owners but every now and then you get a new discovery. Always a treat to find something unmolested or near untouched.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 02:49 PM   #10
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by james hitchcock View Post
I love it just as is. Make sure mechanically sound and then go.
agreed but yea i can see concerns about wiring/ steering/ brakes being untouched...

Steering is most important

Brakes are 2nd importance

and id say electrical is 3rd on my personal list of things that needs addressed on any car.

If you loose steering you can have the best brakes and smoothest running engine but if you cant control where its going it then whats the point?

a car is still somewhat controllable with barely any brakes (even no brakes) if you can still steer it.

but especially on a model a with no factory fuse system electrical problems can cause fires then you have no car and potentially no house...or cause poorly running engines or non existent brakelights/headights/taillights that cause accidents....
Old 08-14-2016, 04:38 PM   #11
nhusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Most in our rural area looked like this in the late 1940's and early 1950's when they were the only car our lower income citizen's could afford.

It beat walking, hitchhiking, or riding 10 miles on a bicycle for mandatory trips to places like a drug store or doctor's office.
Hey!!!! Watch yourself!

My dad used the 31 Town Sedan that I now own as daily transportation in the 50's and 60's.
I also used it to get to school in the early 60's when my 41 Ford coupe was broken.
We were not lower income people.
We even had a summer place on the cape.

The A was put in the barn in 64 with the 1919 T when my dad got sick.
It was brought out about a year ago.
I first thought I would get it running and sell it but my wife informed me that it was her car.
She does not want it restored - just made safe and reliable so I am going through everything. The motor was in big trouble but we now have a rebuilt one ready to go in. When things were apart I rebuilt the transmission. I am replacing all the wiring and going thru the brakes.
The interior is origional and will not be touched. The exterior looks a bit like the one in this thread and will not be changed.

Since this is an A forum I will not go into the details about the T but it is my baby!
nhusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:38 PM   #12
WRA

Perfect just the way it is.
WRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:25 PM   #13
mike657894

hes missing the engine splash shields. He better have a back up engine ground
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:28 PM   #14
Tom Wesenberg

Those spark plug connectors look to be a half inch longer then mine on my 28, and they also appear to be the early style like mine.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote