Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-28-2014, 11:21 PM   #1
34fordfan

Default Valve lifter noise question

Hey Guys: I'm new to the Barn and saw the notice about what we could post so if this is off base, please advise me and I won't post any more questions. I have been building a 53 Ford flathead to put in a 34 coupe. It's bored out and has a Max 1 Isky cam with new valve springs and .60 shims. I've adjusted the valves from .12 on intake and .14 on the exhaust down to .06 on intake and .08 on exhaust. Each time it improves a small amount but I still get lifter noise at higher RPM like 3000 to 3500. Motor has only been run about 30 minutes and not broke in yet. I just can't get lifter noise out no matter what I try. Yes I have checked rod bearings and listened with steth0scope and noise seems to come from back two cylinders on left side. Wondered if anyone else experienced this. Couldn't ask for better sounding motor at low RPMs. Sounds like a flathead should. Thanks for any replys.
34fordfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 11:43 PM   #2
Russ/40

Default Re: Valve lifter noise question

No,no,no your too tight. Take them back to .012 and .014" as the tightest. If your hearing a quiet motor at idle and a noisy one at 3k you have another problem.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 12:30 AM   #3
Ross F-1

The fuel pump pushrod is back there, could be making the noise.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:38 AM   #4
scooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
No,no,no your too tight. Take them back to .012 and .014" as the tightest. If your hearing a quiet motor at idle and a noisy one at 3k you have another problem.
This X2
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:58 AM   #5
jetmek

ill bet you have valves kissing the head MAKE SURE to check clearances anytime you make changes from stock
Old 12-29-2014, 08:19 AM   #6
chap52

Be nice if it was just a fuel pump rod, but if the sound changes when the lifters are adjusted???
jetmek has a good point. Lots of info on here about head clearance...Check it out, especially after changing that cam.
Please keep us posted as "iron sharpens iron". Enjoy the adventure.
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:28 AM   #7
rick r

Could be valve interference with the heads. As there are no alignment dowels, push the heads up(towards the intake)as far as possible before tightening the head bolts
rick r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:50 AM   #8
Walt Dupont--Me.

The Max-1 calls for .014 all through. You can get by with 12-14. What are you using for heads? Did you check head to piston clearance? bet you'll find pistons is hitting head at high rpm. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:17 AM   #9
zzlegend

Yes what Walt said. I just installed a Max -1 and set mine at 14 on all. And no noises.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:06 AM   #10
4t8v8

Valves adjusted way to tight. This is going to cause you serious problems down the road. I am using the Max 1 cam and am adjusted .012 and .014 and have no valve noise at all.
4t8v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:23 AM   #11
the cooch

I just did almost the exact same motor swap. Usually your questions here will get you more questions! Isky spec is .14 for both. What prompted the lash adjustment so tight? Correct type of pistons and gaskets to match the heads with rebuild? Clay or foil ball the head clearance before firing? How loud is the noise? Fuel pump in place or electric and no rod? Also, your qestion is technically speaking a little off base, but it seems like this type of hybridizing old Fords for agreeable use is becoming more accepted by the restorers here. The usual guys responding here are as experienced as it gets with the "mix and match" of flatheads, parts and chassis. I don't think I'd fire that motor again without at least checking the piston/head clearance, but keep this thread going!- Chris
the cooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 01:21 PM   #12
34fordfan

Hey Guys - thanks for the suggestions. The motor is 52-53 with EAB heads. The motor mounts are on the water pumps so probably a truck block. Good solid block checked out before we bored out to 187 ths.. over with new aluminum pistons. Installed Isky cam and used original valves as they were good condition. Reseated them of course. Installed new springs and when we first started the motor it had a high level of lifter noise At that point we adjusted the lifters tighter on the advise of an experienced flathead mechanic of over 40 years. When that did not fix the problem, we installed the shims on top of the springs. Valve spring pressure is 190 lbs at 2" on the gauge. I might also note that along the way we completely rechecked the bottom end with bearings, rods and clearances. Everything checked out with no issues. After that we put putty on top of the pistons and turned the motor over. There was over 60 ths. clearance on pistons and valves. The head gaskets are copper with oversize openings and all checks out to be good clearances. I might add that there was originally a lot of lifter noise but now seems to be confined to one or two back cyl. on the left side. Sound wonderful until we crank up the throttle - then we still hear some lifter noise. It sounds like something you could live with but would be irritating. Just hoping someone has experience this and would have a solution. Thanks again for any help.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:34 PM   #13
scicala

I am a far cry from an expert on Ford flatheads, but might be worth setting up a gas can with a hose to the carb fuel inlet (or some alternate fuel supply). Then remove the fuel pump push rod to see if the noise goes away. Just a thought.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 01:42 PM   #14
flatjack9

190 lb? Wow. What is your installed height? I wouldn't use more than 60 lbs at installed height.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 03:21 PM   #15
34fordfan

Installed height is 65#
Old 12-29-2014, 03:23 PM   #16
34fordfan

Sorry for the error - they are 90# at 2"
Old 12-29-2014, 04:42 PM   #17
Walt Dupont--Me.

I still think there is a piston hitting the left head in a small spot when you rev it up, now it's beating itself in. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:09 PM   #18
oldford2

34fordfan

Pull the left head and check for a "hit" like Walt says. My money is on the fact that he is right. John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:33 PM   #19
Russ/40

Where you made your clearance measurements is important. Pistons, center of dome and most distal from the valves. Those two locations. Valves, very top of the valve furthest from the piston. Are you using the EAB heads or some of the earlier heads?
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:48 PM   #20
34fordfan

Using EAB heads - showed 60 ths. clearance when I put putty on top of piston and turned motor over. Neither head or valves showed any sign of metal to metal when inspected. Everything clean with no marks.??