Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-04-2014, 06:21 AM   #61
Terry,OH

Default Re: Yes, they are still out there NUMBER 2

It is possible the clutch plate is stuck to either the pressure plate or the flywheel and not releasing, since the car sat for a long time. There are several threads here about freeing the clutch plate without removing the transmission. On Ford cars all three fingers of the PP have weights that act to exert more force against the clutch when the engine RPM exceeds about 2,000, to minimize any slipping. All three fingers have adjustment screws at the throw out ends of the fingers for adjustment so they all act at the same time. I would GUESS the Lincolns also had the weights and screws. I do not believe tractor PP's have the weights and may be without the adjustment screws.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:39 AM   #62
Bruce in southern OH

Terry, I thought the same thing, might take car out in field, place in gear and push start and drive around and see if pulling small grade or loping the car would free it up. (have rocked the car back and forth to try free up ) I do not think that this is the problem because the adjustment leakage is pass the max point now and the transmission floor covers were removed when I got car. I think they had a problem before. The 51 pickup parts would have all the weights, will see if old owner can shed some light, as always thanks for reply, value your thoughts and knowledge.
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:16 AM   #63
Bruce in southern OH

Worked on brakes yesterday, got all the bleeding screws loose, pumped brake pedal and moved fluid through the lines on a one by one basis. Went back to garage and thought I would press the pedal with foot to see how pedal felt, rock hard pedal, pushed a little harder and pedal did move, got out of car to start another project on car and saw a squirt of fluid on floor, found front brake hose blown out. Have to now order the two front brake hoses, going to take front wheels off today and inspect the brakes and repack the bearings. QUESTION, are all the front brake hoses the same if the number is the same in Ford vendors as in the Lincoln vendors catalogs????? Back to garage, still no movement with Clutch, did talk to previous owner and he cannot remember why his brother had the floor pans out. ALSO, STILL WAITING ON TRUNK KEY!!! NEED IN TRUNK TO SEE WHAT TREASURE IS WAITING, THANKS EVERYONE
Old 08-07-2014, 06:37 AM   #64
Terry,OH

Make sure the master cylinder piston can return all the way and the actuating rod (adjustment ) is not prevent it's return. With the brake pedal back to it's stop there has to be a slight bit of clearance between MC piston and rod. Make sure the brake pedal return spring takes the pedal to it's stop.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:37 PM   #65
cmbrucew

Bruce
I got the brake hoses for my 41 Ford Deluxe from Napa.
#6100 rear (1)
#7600 front (2)
Possibly same as yours.
Bruce
Old 08-07-2014, 09:15 PM   #66
Bruce in southern OH

Spent 1 hour and 15 minutes at NAPA today for nothing, I will return after you gave me this information and ask, thank you, will let you know what I find out.
Working on brakes today
Old 08-08-2014, 04:18 PM   #67
Bruce in southern OH

Bruce, it takes three of the 7600 NAPA hoses for my car, I had to cut one front passenger side fitting off above the nut, frozen in hose fitting, Question is can I flare the short tubing and install a new 7/16" nut. Let me know what everyone thinks, do not want to replace the old line across engine compartment if you have a solution, thanks
Do you have a good number for the grease seals, what to pack front inside bearing and will have to remove old seals, appreciate the info!!
line cut above line nut
Old 08-08-2014, 04:29 PM   #68
V8COOPMAN

Is that curved piece of tubing copper? NOT trying to stir-up any poo here. That's a weird-looking fitting for a brake line. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:32 PM   #69
Bruce in southern OH

It is a painted steel 1/4" line with 7/16" brass fitting screwed into a brass hose crimped end. I cut rotted rubber hose off of metal end of hose end so I could get a 6 sided socket on the 5/8" hose side. I have removed the horse shoe clip that secures line to car.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:15 AM   #70
Bruce in southern OH

Green Bible????? cmbrucew and countless others have helped me find parts for the Lincoln that are across the counter items and local. Radiator hose 1 3/4" found at NAPA for lower engine and sold by the foot. #7600 brake hoses for front end and swing brake hose in rear of car and the list I am sure will go on. My Question is there a book/computer web site that shows the interchange parts like Green Bible that includes the Lincoln?? Asked Walt about the one he has for sale here on barn and it does not, also best way to get bearings and seals. Went to Applied Technologies with my front 39 "clean" drum to match up drum seals and bearings, you would have thought I brought in a part from outer space. Told they have nothing, then asked on Ford barn and looked on E-bay, one answer on fordbarn quickly and ebay seller had a part number for Lincoln and other Ford cars, just looking for a way to match up Ford parts in supplier catalogs with Lincoln part numbers. Same number on parts like A-7550, B-7550, 18-7550, 48-7550 and so on. Thanks and let me know what you have found,
Old 08-10-2014, 11:50 AM   #71
Bruce in southern OH

Purchased a book off ebay: 1938 1939 1940 1941 Ford Lincoln V8 V12 Flathead Mechanical Service Bulletins
I also talked to another man about brake line repair, going to purchase a short section of brake line with flare on it with nut, next bend to fit and connect in a straight section in engine compartment with a compression coupling, this will work for me, thanks
Old 08-10-2014, 12:38 PM   #72
cmbrucew

Bruce
Compression fittings are a no-no for brake lines. Reverse flare only for safety reasons.

Bruce
Old 08-10-2014, 02:06 PM   #73
Chris Nelson

Regarding the intake gasket, if you can't get it from Best Gasket, you might try Olson Gasket in Port Orchard, Washington. 360-871-1207 They stock all sorts of obsolete gaskets as well as make gaskets.
Chris Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:33 PM   #74
copperpenny

Bruce, you need to call Earle Brown of the LZOC club. Check LZOC website for his phone and copy of his catalog. One of the best for Lincoln mechanical stuff. Almost 40 years in Lincoln mechanical parts. Not too far from you...in Pittsburg. I don't know of any interchange catalog between Lincoln and Ford, Our green bible is the Lincoln Master Parts catalog.
copperpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:56 PM   #75
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce in southern OH View Post
Green Bible????? cmbrucew and countless others have helped me find parts for the Lincoln that are across the counter items and local. Radiator hose 1 3/4" found at NAPA for lower engine and sold by the foot. #7600 brake hoses for front end and swing brake hose in rear of car and the list I am sure will go on. My Question is there a book/computer web site that shows the interchange parts like Green Bible that includes the Lincoln?? Asked Walt about the one he has for sale here on barn and it does not, also best way to get bearings and seals. Went to Applied Technologies with my front 39 "clean" drum to match up drum seals and bearings, you would have thought I brought in a part from outer space. Told they have nothing, then asked on Ford barn and looked on E-bay, one answer on fordbarn quickly and ebay seller had a part number for Lincoln and other Ford cars, just looking for a way to match up Ford parts in supplier catalogs with Lincoln part numbers. Same number on parts like A-7550, B-7550, 18-7550, 48-7550 and so on. Thanks and let me know what you have found,
Hey Bruce, Thats a very nice looking Zephyr you have there. I see it has an accessory center front bumper guard. I also see it has a Hot Air heater but the metal elbow is missing ,do you have it? They are very hard to come byif you dont but one can be made from a piece of exhaust pipe.I read that it has a Columbia Two speed,does the speedometer cable come frome the pass side axle housing at the rear wheel? I dont see a speedometer adapter on the firewall is why I ask. If it comes from the rear wheel its a pretty sure bet it was factory installed. My advise would be not to shift that columbia untill you have time to go through rebuilding it. It has some cork pads inside the synchro clutch and they tend to glue themselves to the inside of the drum . If they are stuck it could rip the sun gear to pieces.There is actually not very much interchange between the Lincoln and Ford. Luckly the front grease seals are same as 35-48 Fords and rear grease seals are same as Ford 38-48 and so are the front wheel bearings,inner and outer same as 28-48 Fords. The 39 Lincoln has the same drag link as 35-40 Ford along with the tie rod ends. The wishbone rubber ball is 39 Mercury and so is the cap. The master cylinder is same as Ford. There are some large rubber isolators,2 in the front crossmember and 2 in the rear crossmember that the suspension mounts to. Check them out for dry rot. If they are bad there is really nothing holding the front and rear suspension in the car except just the weight of the car. Rebuilt ones are available. Im definatly no expert on the 39 Zephyr but I have built two of them and now working on the third one so let me know if I can be of any help.
Ken/Alabama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:33 PM   #76
Bruce in southern OH

Great to hear from you Ken, Have Hot Air heater parts to fill a box, several fittings and blower motors, will take photos and post tomorrow. #2 Columbia Two speed, yes it does come from the passenger side axle housing at rear wheel. Ken the speedometer cable was not hooked up on drive shaft, I will look in morning also and take a couple photos and post. Ken, do you think it is safe to drive car using the drive line as a means to free up stuck clutch!? My plan was to fix brakes and then take car out in my hay field and coast start car in gear and drive around with clutch pedal depressed, slow and fast and apply brakes and drive up small grades with clutch pedal down all the time? How would I know if Columbia is in a safe mode position? I will order bearings and seals tomorrow, only reason for bearings/seals is while I am in location I do not want to return, pack bearings and new seals. Have to be very old with CR labels and Ford script bearings? Keep info coming, I will use a vacuum brake pump machine tomorrow to flush lines with new DOT 3 brake fluid. Next leave adjustment screw loose on brakes, install front drums loose and bleed system of air. Move to rear drums and remove, same process, after all 4 are bled I will exercise the brake pedal and see if wheel cylinders operate. So much to do, little at a time. I will also check those rubber bumpers, thanks
Old 08-10-2014, 08:14 PM   #77
Ken/Alabama

Bruce ,the columbia is probably in std drive,cable pushed in. Im just saying that I would be a little hesitant to shift it from whatever position its in . When you get the clutch working properly you might try shifting it with the rear of the car sitting on some jackstands. As far as the clutch goes, I have had luck unsticking clutches by driving it with the pedal depressed but like you said,do it in a field where there is no traffic. I have bought many items from Alan Whelihan in MD.. Earle Brown is good for mechanical items. I you plan to rewire I would get it from Narrangansett, Ive rewired 3 Lincolns using their wiring and it fits nice. Im in the process of installing those rubber isolators in my frame,if I get home from work on time tomorrow I will post some pictures of them and where they are.
Here is a photo of a Zephyr my friend bought a couple years back from a long storage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zephyr4dr 002.jpg (25.0 KB, 76 views)
Ken/Alabama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:31 PM   #78
Bruce in southern OH

Thanks, look forward to photos, Bruce
Old 08-11-2014, 04:55 PM   #79
Bruce in southern OH

Ken/everyone the speedometer cable runs from the passenger side rear housing, along frame rail, out in fender well for about a foot and into the inside of car and is connected to the back of big speedometer. I thought I saw the cable going to the drive shaft, but it was the emergency brake cable going in that direction. Now what would be missing from the Columbia system? The dash going to floor and transmission pans were removed when I got car. ( parts are with the car ) Several wires and small metal clad cables/wires disconnected on back of speedometer, what would these have gone to??? I did remove the front drum grease seals this evening, will order front and rear drum seals tomorrow, bearings do say Ford B-1201 and seem to be in very good condition, I will repack them and continue to work on brakes.
cable from Columbia rear housing

Ken, is this the front body mount you spoke of????
Old 08-11-2014, 05:57 PM   #80
copperpenny

Bruce, they are called "frame insulators." Lincoln part number 96H 5044. There are 4 on you car.
copperpenny is offline   Reply With Quote