Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-26-2018, 08:48 PM   #1
doug.nichols

Smile From Borg Warner back to Original

Have a 29 roadster that came with a Borg Warner overdrive. Can't really tell if the OD works and would prefer the original drive shaft arrangement. Can someone provide me with a description of what it would entail to convert back to stock setup?
doug.nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:15 PM   #2
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: From Borg Warner back to Original

The easiest way would be to find a good used rear end assembly. I 'm pretty sure some might trade with you. Otherwise you would need to replace the driveshaft and torque tube . Bearing pre loads would need to be set up. The pinion gear that matches your differential gear would have to be removed from your old drive shaft and be used to replace the pinion on the replacement used driveshaft . You would need a good collection of banjo gaskets to pick and choose from when setting up the differential bearing clearance . Experienced help with setting up preloads and bearing clearance would probably be needed .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 10:26 PM   #3
Tom Endy

All you need to locate is a drive shaft and a torque tube. There are plenty around and worth very little since the inception of the Mitchell overdrive. I wouldn't pay more that $25 for the pair. You also need the bearing and speedo assembly that goes in the front of the torque tube. This you can take out of the front end of the BW torque tube.

Once the rear axle assembly is out of the car, The task is then to unbolt the BW from the flange on the front of the banjo and set it aside. You then need a puller tool to pull the stub shaft and the pinion assembly out of the banjo. The stub shaft is then removed from the pinion assembly and replaced with the drive shaft. As long as you do not disturb the two large nuts on the pinion assembly the bearing pre-load will remain intact. You then press the bearing assembly with the drive shaft back into the banjo. You can use the torque tube with some long studs and nuts to pull the assembly back into the banjo. Then install the torque tube with the proper bolts and you are ready to put the rear axle assembly back in the car. There is no reason to remove the two axle housings from the banjo.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 11:13 PM   #4
daveymc29

Why are you taking the BW out? If it is fixable I would gladly give money plus a whole differential so all you would need to do is pull yours and put mine in. Mine is 29 coupe and is the only car I own that has no OD. Without a trade of any sort I got my last one as a complete differential including the brakes and drums for $400. Works for me very well. They are a 36% OD, good on our California roads. PM if interested.
Dave Mc Arthur
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:26 PM   #5
doug.nichols

Thanks everybody....
doug.nichols is offline   Reply With Quote