Go Back   The Ford Barn > To The Editors > Questions & Suggestions

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-08-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
Russ Koch

Default How Do You Get Back To Previously viewed?

Is it me? I'm on page 4 viewing a thread and no matter WHAT link I click on to return or go back I'm on page 1 at the top, or I'm on page 1, view near the bottom click to return and I'm at the top of the page???
Russ Koch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:58 PM   #2
Russ Koch

Question Re: How Do You Get Back To Previously viewed?

Okay, I am guessing no one will reply because this format will not do what any other website will do!!! Also I notice when leaving the site then coming back ALL previous threads are marked as being read?? Not by me!! What's with that?
Don't get me wrong, I like the new format with the ease of posting pictures especially,BUT with what was said with the previous post and this is it makes it hard to navigate and remember what is viewed and what has not been viewed. Am I missing something?
Old 05-09-2010, 07:23 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: How Do You Get Back To Previously viewed?

I haven't got much figured out yet on this new site. To return I just click "BACKSPACE" on my keypad.

I agree, that it's hard to figure out what I've already read. This format is better than the Cub Cadet site I went to a couple times.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:36 AM   #4
Minnesota Denny

On the old site the articles that I read turned color and stayed that way. That way I knew what I had already read. It saved lots of time. Now I find myself going to the same stuff over and over. How can I fix this?
Minnesota Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:35 AM   #5
itslow

Are you saying that when you're on page 4 of a thread and want to go back to page 3 of the thread, you wind up on page 1 of the thread?

Simply clicking the "back" button on your browser will take you back to page 3, provided that was the page you were on prior to viewing page 4. Alternately, clicking on the < link at the bottom or top of the page (see photo) will take you to the previous page. The > takes you to the next page if you aren't currently on the last page.

In this example, the page I was on was page 3, and the < (in the blue circle) would take me to page 2. The number that is in bold indicates your current page (in the green circle).
Attached Images
File Type: gif page_navigation.gif (4.0 KB, 1 views)

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:42 AM   #6
itslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Denny View Post
On the old site the articles that I read turned color and stayed that way. That way I knew what I had already read. It saved lots of time. Now I find myself going to the same stuff over and over. How can I fix this?
Do note that this was only due to your browser remembering you browsing history. If you cleared your browser's history, either manually or automatically, you would lose that information.

The new software can be set to subscribe you to a thread in which you post, so that you can receive an email when new replies are posted to it, and will also show a different icon to the left of the threads in which you've posted. You can also manually subscribe to those threads in which you have interest by clicking on the "Thread Tools" link in the 2nd red bar near the top of the page, then clicking on "Subscribe to this Thread" in the menu that drops down.

Also, provided that you retain cookies in your browser, which you probably do, the forum will indicate which threads have new information since your last browsing session, as indicated by the bold thread titles in the forum listings.

Sometimes it also just simply helps to remember when the last time you visited the forum (ie; 8:30 last night) and note the times listed in the "Last Post" column of the thread listings, looking for those that are later than your last visit.

Wanted:
- ARDUN parts
Old 05-10-2010, 05:21 PM   #7
Russ Koch

[QUOTE]Also, provided that you retain cookies in your browser, which you probably do, the forum will indicate which threads have new information since your last browsing session, as indicated by the bold thread titles in the forum listings.

Because I end my browsing session this forum decides what I have/have-not read? That's a pain in the arse!
The problem with hitting the back button is it will not make the thread "as read".
Thanks Tom, I'll try the backspace key

Last edited by Russ Koch; 05-10-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:01 PM   #8
itslow

The browsers treat the backspace key as a key command shortcut for the back button. Just like Ctrl-R functions the same as the reload button. Unfortunately, if the back button doesn't mark it as read, the backspace key won't, either.

Wanted:
- ARDUN parts