Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-02-2015, 11:18 AM   #21
ODFever

Default Re: Road Salt Still Doing Damage After 20 Years

To me, snow is a four letter word (if you get my drift). I have a solution for you, Tom. Escape the great white north and head south. Sell all your vehicles except your collector cars, sell your lawnmower(s), and donate your snow shovels. Leave the heavily salted roads behind. Life is too short to spend a substantial portion of time and energy shoveling snow.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:13 PM   #22
ericr

doesn't it get extremely hot and humid in deep Southern states, and considering that some of us find Model "A"s hot to ride in anyway, I might respectfully decline the various invites to relocate. Granted, it is increasingly hot in the North but the snow is far less than we experienced decades ago. And we have no hurricanes, fire ants, killer bees, alligators, pythons, etc.....just tornadoes.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:11 PM   #23
Tom Wesenberg

Every state has it's drawbacks, gut the south and southwest sure would be nice for at least the 6 months of winter. The dry southwest should be the kindest for our cars. Tomorrow morning I'll see if the rusty tank strap bolts will come out of my Olds so I can repair or replace the rusted fuel lines on my gas tank sender. Life would be much better if it wasn't for man's folly of ethanol and road salt. South Dakota only started using road salt in the 80's and my insurance agent told me it was pushed through by the insurance companies. Used to find a lot of nice old rust free cars in South Dakota, but not anymore. Model A's were plentiful until the late 60's. My uncle said most of them went to California.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:15 PM   #24
Skeezixx

Move to New Orleans. We never salt the roads:

Skeezixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:45 PM   #25
Jeff/Illinois

Yes, there is no perfect place to live. Everywhere has it's drawbacks of some kind.

Orange County and San Diego Counties in SoCal. have the best weather, but the millions of people jammed into Southern California today, not much fun. Bumper stickers that say 'Thank you for leaving Orange County. Take someone with you'. I was told in the 50's and 60's it was pretty nice but word got out and now it's shoulder to shoulder people and traffic. Every other blacktopped/concreted mile is the same boring spat of Corporate America. Wendy's, Taco Bell, McDonalds, Pizza Hut, Super Mex, Long John Silver's, Chevron, Shell, Exxon Mobil, blah blah blah then it starts all over again. And again. And again.

I guess in the whole scheme of things, what difference does it make where you live anyway we're all heading down Cemetery Road? And the more the years roll by the faster and closer the end gets, for all of us

You don't have to think too hard of just the Model A hobbyists alone, who are gone and just in the last few years----- Roger Kaufman, Dave Lopes come immediately to mind George DeAngelis, Al Lepore, kinda sad-----------
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:45 PM   #26
mshmodela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
...Life would be much better if it wasn't for man's folly of ethanol and road salt...
Add Front Wheel Drive... UGH! hate it... Thankfully not had daily driver with that since 1992.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote