Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-2013, 11:53 PM   #21
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: Luggage Rack Mounting Brackets

I'd like to thank Don Rogers, flatheadfan, Fordbarn members who pm'd me, and others who posted the information and explanations given here on why these racks do or do not properly fit on coupes, roadsters and cabriolets. Also, thanks to Jeff for his picture posts.

Happy New Year to all you Barners!!

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:16 PM   #22
VeryTangled

I was able to get the fabricated brackets out for a few minutes today. There are a pair of original links (wired together so it just looks like one) along with the fabricated links which are part of the hinges I think.

-VeryTangled/Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEDC0083_zpsf45788c1.jpg (62.3 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0085_zps5d5c056f.jpg (62.2 KB, 25 views)
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:53 PM   #23
flatheadfan

DavidG-

I don't doubt what you read at the Benson Ford Research Lab was accurate as to the wooden strips but it does leave some questions. First, are the four square holes. The original rack I have has four special carriage bolts with a large collar that fits perfectly into the holes. The bolts are only 3/4" long. The purpose of the bolts is to hold the two wooden slats to the backside of the luggage rack. They are countersunk in the wood. The wood slats are 14 1/4" long, 1 inch wide and 3/4" tall. When installed the strips are the exact same height as the metal end pieces. As a result, these slats lift objects carried on the luggage rack above the sharp edges of the rack stamping.

If the wooden strips were not part of the original engineering drawing it seems that they were definitely anticipated in its' application.

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0517.JPG (99.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0516.JPG (69.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0518.jpg (35.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0519.JPG (80.7 KB, 35 views)
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #24
DavidG

The square holes are for carriage head bolts to attach a fitted trunk. If locked, the trunk in combination with the carriage bolts becomes theoretically theft proof.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #25
flatheadfan

DavidG-

Interesting explanation for the "square holes." However, I don't think it is applicable to '35-'36's. If you had a bolted-down fitted luggage trunk, access to the spare tire is virtually impossible. To test this idea I placed a cardboard box on the luggage racks of my '35 and '36. The box was to assume the role of a medium size trunk. In both cases you could not access the spare tire. If you had a quasi-permanent trunk mounted and needed to get to the spare tire you first would need to empty the luggage trunk of whatever was in it and unbolt it from the luggage frame or (if that was not possible), disassemble the luggage carrier platform itself. To re-install the trunk you would need two people, one to hold the carriage bolt from below and another to place a nut inside the trunk on the protruding bolt from below. Needless-to-say, this would be inconvenient especially at the side of the road in a dark night!

As best I can remember items placed on a luggage racks were usually secured with either rope or leather belts or I suppose if, you lived in a particularly 'tough neighborhood," with a chain and lock. Some of the more "elegant cars" in the past that had bolted-down fitted trunks usually were accommodated with side mounted tires to avoid these mechanical gymnastics.

Tom
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:29 AM   #26
Terry,OH

I was told by the Mfg. they would not sell to me directly but to contact Mac's (one of their outlets) and ask them to order. Your chances are good.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #27
FL&WVMIKE

I am wondering why The Ford Motor Company did not market the trunk rack for all models. Why not the coupes, roadsters and cabriolets ?
I've enclosed photos of my original trunk rack, with the original "V8", mounted to my '35 with reproduction brackets and stainless strips. I am assuming that my reproduction brackets were patterned after an original set.
MIKE
CLICK ON PHOTOS TO ENLARGE - Twice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trunkrack1.jpg (443.8 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Trunkrack2.jpg (435.3 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Trunkrack3.jpg (478.2 KB, 46 views)
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:42 PM   #28
jfcrash

Thanks to all of you who have continued to share such informed knowledge to this post and to Jeff and others for their photos.

I was initially interested in a source for set of mounting brackets for an “original” rack, which I hadn’t seen yet and would not consider purchasing it if brackets weren’t available…after expressing an interest in it…I am told the rack its not for sale any more…which could be a good thing as it also had no hardware or trim pieces.

As far as tracking down a set of brackets, Mac’s said they could not get or supply them separately…. And would not say where their made. Drake said their complete rack assembly was mfg in Taiwan and brackets were not available separately.

Dick Spadaro did however check with his USA supplier and could offer the brackets and hardware for $190 …as usual they were the most helpful (IMHO).

Guess I will bite the bullet for a complete after market assembly…maybe for the wife’s birthday….

Thanks again, Jim

I couldn't repair the brakes, so I adjusted the horn louder....
jfcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:26 PM   #29
TJ

Jim, go for it. You wife will be very appreciative. I have convinced my wife that the Portland Swap Meet is the best place to go for our anniversary. It's always in April and so is our anniversary!
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #30
FL&WVMIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Rogers View Post
Jim & Mike, While visiting the archives about 2 years ago I noticed that the engineering release for the 35/36 Luggage Rack assembly (48-18575-A) listed only the 700, 730, 740, and 750 models. There were no boxes checked for 710, 720, 760 or 770. That peaked my curiosity so I checked the engineering releases for the brackets only. The 48-18590/91-C brackets showed that they were used only on the 700, 730, 740, and 750 body styles. The 48-18575-B rack assembly and 48-18590/91-B brackets indicated use on the Touring Sedan body styles only.

I went back and checked my Chassis Books and sure enough....page 48 of the Nov 35 Chassis Book and page 131-132 of 28-36 Chassis Book confirm this finding. Since that time, I have found no reference in writing to the Luggage Rack being used on Models 710, 720, 760, and 770.

I changed the reference on page 124 of The 1935-36 Ford Book to reflect this finding before the 3 printing of the book came out and listed this finding in the corrections listing for the 35-36 Book on the Early Ford V-8 Club website.
DON ....................
The trunk rack was not a factory installed part, but a dealer installed accessory. I doubt if very many Ford dealers turned down a sale, because the coupes, roadster and cabriolets were not listed in the engineering realeases. After all, the brackets did fit.
I think it would hardly be fair to dock these award winning coupes, roadsters and cabriolets for having trunk racks. There must have been thousands, installed at the dealers.
MIKE

Last edited by FL&WVMIKE; 01-08-2013 at 12:30 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #31
JM 35 Sedan

I agree with you Mike. I can see why the engineers would have been asked to design luggage racks for sedans, especially the slant back models w/o any trunk accessible from the outside of the vehicle. If they fit, or could have been made to fit by the dealers, I am sure the dealers sold plenty racks to customers who owned other '35-'36 models. It will be interesting to see what happens when folks bring their cars to the EFV-8 meets and enter them to be judged in the Dearborn class and have luggage racks on models other than sedans/touring sedans. Since I have signed up to judge 35 & 36 vehicles at the GNM in Lake Tahoe, I plan to discuss this with the Chief Judge before the cars go on the show field. Furthermore, I plan to put a luggage rack on my 35 coupe and do whatever is necessary to make it functional. This car is going to be a driver, not a show car.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
Old 01-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #32
Henryat1140

Just to stir the pot a little, here is a very original '35 Phaeton with a luggage rack. The V8 logo looks different from those I've seen.

Don Rogers, do you understand the racks were built at FoMoCo or by one or more third party vendors?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 120430_HCG_0034.jpg (58.2 KB, 43 views)
Henryat1140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:43 PM   #33
DavidG

Zoom in on your photo and you'll notice that there's no rack behind the center width of the 'new' V-8 emblem and that it's attached with a single round head screw right through the middle of the upper oval of the eight. The V-8 emblem appears to be off a truck hood. The only thing original attached to the rack are the two upper stainless steel trim mouldings; everything else was added (or subtracted) post production.

Like most 'accessories', luggage racks were made by third party suppliers to Ford's specifications.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:21 AM   #34
Don Rogers

Mike and John, I do my research at The Benson Ford Research Center (Archives) with no agenda other than to dig at the facts. My findings are not submitted to the Judging Standards Committee nor am I envolved in the creation of any judging rules for our V-8 meets. I found the information on luggage racks to be interesting and at odds with what I and many others had always thought. This discovery prompted me to look at Ford's Parts books and they seem to support my Archive findings. I also have looked at the limited group of Archive Vehicle photos that I have and have only seen luggage racks on Sedans. Fords emphasis on Sedans may have because Coupes, Cabriolets and Roadsters appeared to have ample storage room in the trunk/rumble area.

You comments that Ford dealers may have installed these racks on Coupes, Cabriolets and Roadsters may be accurate but I haven't been looking into that possibility and can't confirm that. I also haven't tried to mount a luggage rack on to one of these vehicles to see if they fit and function without modification.

Lets continue this discussion and see what else "pops" up
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:14 PM   #35
FL&WVMIKE

DON ..........................
I'm trying to leep this going to see what else "pops up".

Fords emphasis on Sedans may have because Coupes, Cabriolets and Roadsters appeared to have ample storage room in the trunk/rumble area.

It seems to me, that the sedans have more ample storage room, in the back seat, than the coupes, roadsters and cabriolets do in their trunk/rumble area. That is, with the same number of passengers.
I just can't understand why Ford did that.
MIKE

Last edited by FL&WVMIKE; 01-08-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #36
Terry,OH

I was told the two upper trim pieces next to the V8 were slightly different than the rest (slightly arched to match the rack) on the originals. The aftermarket all the trim is straight. This can be seen on above photos I believe.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #37
JM 35 Sedan

Don, this probably doesn't mean that much but thought I would mention anyway and I am sure you are already aware of this....there was an approved accessory pamphlet published by the Ford Motor Company for 1935 that shows what they refer to as a Luggage Carrier. There is no mention in this publication as to which model '35's those carriers/racks should be used on.
Even though you do not submit your findings to the Judging Standards Committee nor are you involved with the creation of judging rules, the EFV-8C/A Books/Restoration Guides are frequently used on the show field at club meets in an effort to try to determine what is correct or what is not correct on these cars. It doesn't personally bother me because I could care less about winning awards/plaques/trophies with my cars, but some folks take this quite seriously.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #38
DavidG

I'm the second owner of my '35 phaeton and its rack is original to the car. There is no curvature to any of the original stainless trim pieces, all of which were intact when I bought the car roughly 20 years ago. Also, I have a copy of the original engineering drawing for the '35-'36 rack and all of the trim pieces carry the same part number (i.e. they are all the same).
Old 01-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #39
Terry,OH

Thanks David
Old 01-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #40
JM 35 Sedan

Dave, do you have the four or five rung luggage rack? Just wondering since the 35-36 Book mentions a five rung rack that was shown in some 35 publications but may have been a prototype that was never produced. Also, could you please post some pictures of your rack showing details of the front and rear of the rack plus some shots of the mounting brackets? I have two racks and I am trying to determine if they are original or reproduction. Thank you!