Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-25-2012, 08:18 AM   #1
todd3131

Default Straw wheel paint

I am researching the correct color for my wheels on my 31 roadster. Has anyone had any success with powder coating the straw wheels and if so is there a color or formula that I can give the powder coat company that is correct? I have seen several variations of colors from the tan side to a more yellow. It is difficult to repaint them if it is incorrect.

Any help would be appreciated.
Todd 3131
todd3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:26 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Straw wheel paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd3131 View Post
I am researching the correct color for my wheels on my 31 roadster. Has anyone had any success with powder coating the straw wheels and if so is there a color or formula that I can give the powder coat company that is correct? I have seen several variations of colors from the tan side to a more yellow. It is difficult to repaint them if it is incorrect.

Any help would be appreciated.
Todd 3131
First off, Straw is NOT an original wheel color. It is a striping color. I believe the color you are looking for is Tacoma Creme. With regard to a correct powder, I have had success in matching a color in powder for Tacoma Creme only because I have 55 lbs. of it custom blended. Generally it will take about ¾-1 lb. per wheel. If you are looking for "close", then Tiger Drylac's RAL1001 will get you close.

As far as repainting an incorrect colored wheel, all that is necessary is scuff the incorrect powder-painted wheel and re-coat with the color of your choosing.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
todd3131

I have an original paint chip book and my car is wash and riv blue with tacoma cream stripe and the original book and everything I have read over the last 40 years says straw wheels, the wheel color I have now is more tacoma cream and I do prefer it. I am just wondering where your information comes from. My big concern about the powder coating is my wheels were NOS and I don't want to screw them up. I have powder coated other wheels and have been very happy with the results but this set I want to be very careful with.
todd
Old 09-25-2012, 08:55 AM   #4
RonC

Todd, your car came with tacoma cream painted wheels painted at the Ford factory. This information is well documented in Ford literature and has been included in the national club judging standards. If your roadster is a standard roadster prior to July 31 then it could have had straw wheels but your body color was not available on a standard roadster. Is your paint book from Ford? If so is it during the Model A production years or after?

Last edited by RonC; 09-25-2012 at 09:01 AM.
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:03 AM   #5
Barry B./ Ma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
First off, Straw is NOT an original wheel color. It is a striping color. I believe the color you are looking for is Tacoma Creme. With regard to a correct powder, I have had success in matching a color in powder for Tacoma Creme only because I have 55 lbs. of it custom blended. Generally it will take about ¾-1 lb. per wheel. If you are looking for "close", then Tiger Drylac's RAL1001 will get you close.

As far as repainting an incorrect colored wheel, all that is necessary is scuff the incorrect powder-painted wheel and re-coat with the color of your choosing.

Hi Brent, after scuffing the incorrect powder coat color do you mean to use powdercoat on the correct color or spray with enamel?
Thanks, Barry
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Yes Barry, you can coat over cured powder paint. The only thing you give up is the added mil thickness generally makes the coating a little more vulnerable to chips/etc. They can also be painted with any type of sprayed paint as the scuffed powder paint just become the primer/base for the sprayed paint. Properly applied powder paint will be a good substrate for the sprayed paint. By the same mindset, poorly applied powder paint will make a poor substrate.

Todd, exactly what is your fear regarding a powdercoater "screwing up" your NOS wheels?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 09-25-2012, 02:14 PM   #7
todd3131

Just general fear, what if it chips [I know a good powder coat shouldn't] wrong color just unjustified concerns. I powder coated a set of 32 chevy wheels last summer and they looked great it should be an easy decision but when I painted the wheels 22 years ago I took of the factory henry paint. My car is a deluxe no side mount car made in early 31 around january or early february I need to install a new set of goodyear white walls these are getting worn since I put them on in 75. Oh and no guff about having a Chevy I sold it a this summer Instead of finishing it.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:10 PM   #8
shuttlebuggy

Hey Brent any chance for purchasing enough powder to do 5 - 19"s?
Thanks
shuttlebuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:07 AM   #9
28Annie

Agree with the previous "straw" color feedback. Had a set of wheels powdercoated this past summer. The shop had a Tacoma Cream color in their chart & they did the wheels only to find out that what was shown as Tacoma Cream ended up being waaaayyy off from the original Tacoma Cream. Had to order the correct Tacoma Cream from these guys:

http://www.modelawheelcolors.com/

Cost was around $125 but they shipped more than double the amount than what was needed so I have a bag with quite a bit leftover if anyone is interested.
28Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:48 AM   #10
todd3131

I would be interested in it also
Old 09-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #11
P.S.

Looks like Tacoma cream is $128 per bag with free shipping. Sounds like a deal!
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #12
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I don't have version 3 but the second version of the paint guide put out by MAFCA states on page 16, "Five body styles were equipped with colored wheels as standard." "In 1930, ford made colored wheels available as an accessory on all passenger cars. At that time ony f colors were available: Tachoma Cream, Apple Green, Orange, and Aurora Red." "In 1931, Ford reduced the number of Wheel Colors to three: Apple Green, Tachoma Cream, and Aurora Red."
Old 09-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #13
Roger V

I agree with Brent as this info has been known for years that Tacoma was the wheel color from the factory. You didn't answer RonC's question for which I'm curious too. Who specifically made your color chip book that you mention? What year was the printing and does it actually state wheel colors to go with specific body colors?
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #14
todd3131

The chip book is a ditzler book with a ford logo and I don't have a date on it, it does list the colors for each vehicle
Old 09-26-2012, 12:28 PM   #15
P.S.

http://www.mafca.com/data_tudors.html

Scroll down a bit to the chart on the bottom.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:00 PM   #16
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuttlebuggy View Post
Hey Brent any chance for purchasing enough powder to do 5 - 19"s?
Thanks
I need to have another batch blended up as I am down to a small portion of that powder left. It would probably be the best to purchase what is available from that company mentioned above or what is left over from 28ANNIE's batch so I can save what I have. If that doesn't work out, I will consider alternatives.

The Ditzler book Todd speaks of is probably the same book that is the predecessor to the book MAFCA publishes now. I am not sure if the Rev III now is 3 versions of when MAFCA took over Ditzlers book, --or whether the Ditzler book counts as the first one. Does anyone know?

I also have some of the chips that Ditzler produced in 1959 that are pretty cool. See below... (Note the color of wheels they were suggesting for the '31 Roadster back then.)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0621.jpg (61.1 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0622.jpg (63.9 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0623.jpg (40.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0624.jpg (32.3 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0625.jpg (81.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0626.jpg (49.6 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0627.jpg (48.1 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0629.jpg (63.9 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0630.jpg (66.6 KB, 62 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 09-26-2012, 02:34 PM   #17
todd3131

That is the book I had a flood in iowa in 08 and that as henry built it and my original complete factory service bulletins in the original binder were all lost so is my memory as it seems
Todd
Old 08-14-2017, 05:37 PM   #18
todd3131

Ok I am finally committed to powder coating my wheels is RAL 1001 still the closest match?
Old 08-15-2017, 12:34 PM   #19
Chris Haynes

Here is the link where you can buy correct colors of powder coat.
http://www.modelawheelcolors.com/
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote