Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-16-2019, 04:16 PM   #1
Ian1932

Default 32' v8 exhaust....?

Not sure what i have or what im missing... Some might be for a 4 cylinder?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_2606.jpg (89.9 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_2607.jpg (91.3 KB, 411 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_2608.jpg (106.4 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_2609.jpg (84.3 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_2610.jpg (184.0 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_2611.jpg (104.9 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_2626.jpg (36.5 KB, 53 views)
Ian1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:32 PM   #2
deuce lover

Default Re: 32' v8 exhaust....?

Picture 5 looks like the headpipe.The crossover connects to that at the "Y",then the muffler at the other end.Then the tailpipe
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 05:21 PM   #3
V8COOPMAN

The part numbers that have a "18-" prefix are V8 parts. Parts with a "B-" prefix are 4-cylinder. Some parts COULD be marked with both prefixes, and would be common to both types....4s and V8s. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 05:51 PM   #4
DavidG

Regarding the pipes in your photos, it appears that you have two of the correct long tail pipe sections (at the top of the first photo) and two of the matching short tail pipe sections at the bottom of that photo. One of the short tail pipe sections in that photo is mistakenly attached to what appears to be the correct crossover pipe that attaches to the left side exhaust manifold and is routed beneath the front of the oil pan and inserted into the header pipe shown in your fifth photo. I agree with Sheldon that the header pipe appears to be correct.

I can't comment on your muffler without seeing it outside of the box and for your to confirm the orientation of the inlet pipe on the front of the muffler relative to the smaller outlet pipe on the back of the muffler. With the front muffler pipe in the 6 o'clock position, the back pipe should be in the 2 o'clock position when viewed from the rear as shown in the attached photo.

There are two pipes in the center of your first photo which are not for a '32, be it a four or V8, only those six that I mention above.

P.S. I've not forgotten about your photo request; it has been a busy day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Book photos 196.jpg (67.2 KB, 69 views)
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:56 PM   #5
Ian1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Regarding the pipes in your photos, it appears that you have two of the correct long tail pipe sections (at the top of the first photo) and two of the matching short tail pipe sections at the bottom of that photo. One of the short tail pipe sections in that photo is mistakenly attached to what appears to be the correct crossover pipe that attaches to the left side exhaust manifold and is routed beneath the front of the oil pan and inserted into the header pipe shown in your fifth photo. I agree with Sheldon that the header pipe appears to be correct.

I can't comment on your muffler without seeing it outside of the box and for your to confirm the orientation of the inlet pipe on the front of the muffler relative to the smaller outlet pipe on the back of the muffler. With the front muffler pipe in the 6 o'clock position, the back pipe should be in the 2 o'clock position when viewed from the rear as shown in the attached photo.

There are two pipes in the center of your first photo which are not for a '32, be it a four or V8, only those six that I mention above.

P.S. I've not forgotten about your photo request; it has been a busy day.

David i think i got it! If indeed there are only these pcs that make up the complete exhaust minus the clamps and bracket pcs. It doesnt look long enough sitting on the floor...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_2642.jpg (31.1 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_2643.jpg (28.9 KB, 44 views)
Old 11-16-2019, 09:43 PM   #6
DavidG

Nope, not there yet. You have to add one of the two short S-shaped pipes (that are at the bottom of your earlier photo) at the back end of your photo on the right. The back end of the long pipe in your latest photo and the short S-shaped pipe join together at the front right corner of the rear cross member with the short pipe passing through the hole in the front vertical surface of that cross member. There's a unique-to-'32 clamp for that junction of the two pipes shown on page 4-39 of the book.

Last edited by DavidG; 11-16-2019 at 09:49 PM.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:12 PM   #7
Ian1932

Quote:
Nope, not there yet. You have to add one of the two short S-shaped pipes (that are at the bottom of your earlier photo) at the back end of your photo on the right. The back end of the long pipe in your latest photo and the short S-shaped pipe join together at the front right corner of the rear cross member with the short pipe passing through the hole in the front vertical surface of that cross member. There's a unique-to-'32 clamp for that junction of the two pipes shown on page 4-39 of the book.

One of these? Correct?

1. these seem to be all new. The are rusty but not as bad as they look. Would you clean these with acid and paint them with bbq grill paint maybe?
2. Without a doubt i have those clamps but probably wont be able to find them. Is this stuff i can buy?
3. The flywheel in the picture i can use acid to clean this but i shouldnt sand blast it, correct?

I got the pictures they are perfect, Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_2645.jpg (30.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_2647.jpg (31.9 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_2648.jpg (58.1 KB, 36 views)
Old 11-17-2019, 12:15 AM   #8
deuce lover

For what its worth the left exhaust manifold in your pic is not '32 but '33-'36.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:47 AM   #9
DavidG

That's the right pipe. These days I have the entire exhaust system powder coated with high temp flat black, but there are some good spray-on/brush-on high temp paints out there as well to use after sand blasting. I agree with Sheldon regarding your left side exhaust manifold, but since you are using a '34 engine, with presumably a '34 oil pan, that's the manifold you will want to use to provide clearance for the oil dipstick.

With the type of muffler you have, you'll need two common, readily-available pipe clamps for where the cross over pipe joins the header pipe and for where the long tail pipe attaches to the back of the muffler as shown on the left side of the photo in the lower right hand corner of page 4-37. One larger diameter clamp of the same type will be required for where the header pipe attaches to the front of the muffler. (Originally the header pipe was welded to the muffler forming a single unit also as shown on page 4-37.)

The clamp at the rear cross member mentioned above is not reproduced, but a similar clamp used on '33-'34s is reproduced and it can be readily modified to work on a '32.

Likely your flywheel will need to have the clutch facing re-surfaces if it is pitted or gouged, which requires a seriously-large lathe.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:03 PM   #10
Ian1932

Quote:
That's the right pipe. These days I have the entire exhaust system powder coated with high temp flat black, but there are some good spray-on/brush-on high temp paints out there as well to use after sand blasting. I agree with Sheldon regarding your left side exhaust manifold, but since you are using a '34 engine, with presumably a '34 oil pan, that's the manifold you will want to use to provide clearance for the oil dipstick.

With the type of muffler you have, you'll need two common, readily-available pipe clamps for where the cross over pipe joins the header pipe and for where the long tail pipe attaches to the back of the muffler as shown on the left side of the photo in the lower right hand corner of page 4-37. One larger diameter clamp of the same type will be required for where the header pipe attaches to the front of the muffler. (Originally the header pipe was welded to the muffler forming a single unit also as shown on page 4-37.)

The clamp at the rear cross member mentioned above is not reproduced, but a similar clamp used on '33-'34s is reproduced and it can be readily modified to work on a '32.

Likely your flywheel will need to have the clutch facing re-surfaces if it is pitted or gouged, which requires a seriously-large lathe.

Stuff seemed to clean up nice with a little soak in some "after blast"...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_2655.jpg (87.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_2656.jpg (86.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_2657.jpg (117.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_2658.jpg (44.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_2659.jpg (51.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_2660.jpg (55.7 KB, 25 views)
Old 11-17-2019, 04:22 PM   #11
DavidG

It did clean up very nicely, but I'd have it resurfaced to ensure smooth clutch operation.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:45 PM   #12
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
The part numbers that have a "18-" prefix are V8 parts. Parts with a "B-" prefix are 4-cylinder. Some parts COULD be marked with both prefixes, and would be common to both types....4s and V8s. DD

Ford part numbering had all parts that were common to both V8 and 4 marked with B prefix. Parts unique to the V8 were prefixed 18. Did they ever make a mistake, probably.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:11 AM   #13
Ian1932

Is this something i can buy and use some of the clamps and maybe weld on them if needed if this dont line up exactly? Looks like i could make these work if the diameters were correct...Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (32.9 KB, 29 views)
Old 11-19-2019, 10:09 AM   #14
DavidG

Yes, I believe that you get just about everything you need in that kit knowing of course that you'll have to modify the lowest one in the photo to create the clamp for joining the two tail pipes at the rear cross member (B-5256). There is one additional piece you will need which is a piece that attaches the clamp at the rear of the muffler to the adjacent rear running board bracket. Even if you aren't planning on using running boards, you will need that one bracket in place to support the weight of the muffler. The photos below will likely prove useful. One is of the clamp/bracket at the rear cross member and the other is the transition piece between the clamp at the rear of the muffler and the running board bracket mentioned above.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Email0127.jpg (60.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Book photos 187.jpg (45.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Book photos 184.jpg (52.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Book photos 188.jpg (47.8 KB, 16 views)
Old 11-19-2019, 10:24 AM   #15
Ian1932

Quote:
Yes, I believe that you get just about everything you need in that kit knowing of course that you'll have to modify the lowest one in the photo to create the clamp for joining the two tail pipes at the rear cross member (B-5256). There is one additional piece you will need which is a piece that attaches the clamp at the rear of the muffler to the adjacent rear running board bracket. Even if you aren't planning on using running boards, you will need that one bracket in place to support the weight of the muffler. The photos below will likely prove useful. One is of the clamp/bracket at the rear cross member and the other is the transition piece between the clamp at the rear of the muffler and the running board bracket mentioned above.

Awesome! Thanks for the pics too! Im going to order that. I have running board brackets already painted and will (later in life) put fenders and running boards on this car, but, probably not until i finish the coupe...Im trying to think of other this i can order at the same time, like a rubber grommet kit for the firewall? Im brain storming, if only knew more...
Old 11-19-2019, 12:30 PM   #16
DavidG

That's a good idea (the firewall grommet kit) and if you are going to use a hood, the rubber bumper kit for it would be another, as would the rubber grommet for the handle escutcheon on your rumble/deck lid, the rubber pads for the windshield stanchions where they are attached to the cowl, rubber weatherstrips for the windshield frame, etc.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:35 PM   #17
Ian1932

Tah...da...! I found 2 original clamps, thought i use one even though i had one made already. I never fails, every-time i buy something i find what i need! Im happy with this, nice and rigid. All parts were brought to raw metal and painted with grill paint. I know ill have to twist and tinker once the engine is in. Surely ill need to make a few small adjustments...Now on to pedals and master cylinder...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_2681.jpg (31.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_2684.jpg (75.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_2685.jpg (74.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_2686.jpg (41.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_2688.jpg (89.2 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_2689.jpg (90.1 KB, 32 views)
Old 11-22-2019, 06:47 PM   #18
DavidG

Well done!

We're all still intrigued by your front axle radius rod on the left side.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:44 AM   #19
rotorwrench

It has a pretty good dog leg in it doesn't it?
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 12:01 PM   #20
JSeery
Member Emeritus

It would depend on if material was added to maintain the proper alignment. If it was done correctly it shouldn't be a problem.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 01:16 PM   #21
Ian1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
It would depend on if material was added to maintain the proper alignment. If it was done correctly it shouldn't be a problem.

Im using a different frame that this came from which to me even more verifies that it is fine. I know it looks a wompy, but wont be able to see it soon..lol. It was done on purpose and done correctly. This isnt a pc i just found at a swap meet. When i put the leaf spring into the front cross member when i lifted the ball it fell perfectly into the socket! No extra effort to make it fit. Im 100% percent positive there is no pulling or crook...
Old 03-24-2020, 09:08 AM   #22
ct1932ford

Bought my exhaust from Kirk White some years back. It is S/S so may not be what you need. Made my own clamps etc..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ROADSTER 002.jpg (74.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (87.6 KB, 20 views)