Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-12-2015, 08:05 PM   #1
hb32

Default 32 speedometers

Yeah I know, gotta get the book but in the mean time...
I have 2, what I think are, 32 Delco speedometers, one is a 90 mph and the other 80 mph. Not able to find any pics on them and looking for confirmation if they are Delco. The 90 has a really long sweep needle where as the 80 is short.
Anyone have any insight on them?
I suspect that the 80 is correct with the build date for my pickup and it came in a commercial black painted dash which should coincide as well.
As always, thanks for sharing the knowledge.

hb32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:02 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: 32 speedometers

I think your 80 MPH sweep needle is short because the pointed end is broken off (look carefully). Even then the round area is blended and not round on the ones I have and on the ones pictured in the book. On the 90 MPH you show the arrow at the end of the needle doesn't match anything I have or are pictured in the book. "The 1932 Ford Book" (you really need a copy) says that the speedometers changed from 80 to 90 MPH in late May with the direction to use the remaining 80 MPH speedometers on the four cylinder powered vehicles. By the way, what is the build date of your pickup? I am sure DavidG will jump in here are clear things up.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 02-12-2015 at 09:08 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:24 PM   #3
MIRoger

Delco speedometers have a black painted housing. Waltham and Stewart -Warner speedometers have cad plated housings. The back of the Stewart-Warner speedos have raise circular ribs. The back of the Waltham housings are flat. The Delco units also say Delco Appliance around the central hub. Charlie is correct about the needle on your 90 MPH unit. According to the engineering records on file at the BFRC Ford specified the same design needle for all three suppliers. For your early production PU the 80 MPH is correct.
MIRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:00 PM   #4
hb32

They both fit the description with the 90 being a Delco and the 80 a Stewart Warner without the logo on the face. Mounting tabs on both along with physical size is identical. The 90 has a stop peg at zero where as the 80 does not. Could the needle be a carry over from "A" ?
Looks like I may need to hunt down a needle for the 80.
Truck is a late May build from the info I have.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:54 PM   #5
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb32 View Post
They both fit the description with the 90 being a Delco and the 80 a Stewart Warner without the logo on the face. Mounting tabs on both along with physical size is identical. The 90 has a stop peg at zero where as the 80 does not. Could the needle be a carry over from "A" ?
Looks like I may need to hunt down a needle for the 80.
Truck is a late May build from the info I have.
The needle is definitely not a carry over from the Model A. The Model A had a rotating disc and displayed the speed through a window at the front. (see https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161499)

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 02-15-2015 at 05:19 AM.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:57 PM   #6
hb32

Right and excuse my lack of knowledge or better yet memory.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:13 PM   #7
DavidG

You could resolve your question in a hurry with a couple of photos of the back of the speedometers that you have and apply the accurate description provided by MIRoger. Based on the style of the numbers alone, they are not both Delco speedometers.

As stated above, the needle or pointer on the 80 MPH speedometer is not a Ford part and the other is broken off (a fairly common occurrence). While the appearance of all of the '32 speedometer needles are the same, they are not completely interchangeable across all three manufacturers' (Delco, Stewart Warner, and Whatham) speedometers due to different diameters of the shaft to which the needles are attached.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:22 AM   #8
hb32

Here you go. The left is Delco and right is Stewart Warner according to the descriptions given earlier.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:54 AM   #9
DavidG

Correct.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:27 PM   #10
hb32

Thanks for the help, once again and yeah I need to get the book.
Any idea where I can get a replacement needle for the 80 mph speedo?
Also, it seems that the Stewart Warner speedo`s are very common, is there any value in the 90 mph Delco that I have?
Are the 80 mph speedometers harder to come by due to the limited availability ?

Last edited by hb32; 02-14-2015 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:49 PM   #11
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb32 View Post
Thanks for the help, once again and yeah I need to get the book.
Any idea where I can get a replacement needle for the 80 mph speedo?
Also, it seems that the Stewart Warner speedo`s are very common, is there any value in the 90 mph Delco that I have?
Are the 80 mph speedometers harder to come by due to the limited availability ?
It has been my observation that most people want the 90 MPH and if anything there is a premium on them. You might contact someone that rebuilds speedometers and see if they have a needle they would sell you. You might try a wanted ad for speedometer core with good needle.

Charlie Stephens
Old 02-14-2015, 04:06 PM   #12
DavidG

The pecking order in terms of desirability seems to be Stewart Warner, followed by Delco, with Waltham at the bottom of the list and the 90 MPH versions of all three are more sought after as Charlie indicates. Notwithstanding, the Delco version is the easiest one to restore. Only early V-8s came with 80 MPH speedometers, but they were used on Model B well past mid-model year. Both of the speedometers shown in your photos appear to be on the rough side, condition judging from the deterioration of their faces. Reproduction Stewart Warner 90 MPH face plates are available, but not Delco (or Waltham) face plates.