Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-08-2013, 09:51 PM   #1
todd3131

Default 32 spring perch differences

I'm working on a 32 that is a older restoration but was never driven started to put teds floaters on it today and found that the the rod inside the spindle is binding up on the right side looked at it harder and the cross shaft is a eighth of a in short of going into the king pin. The left side is fine and after looking further I found that the perches are different each side the part side that works is a less beefy than the right and the arch is an eighth of an inch more making up difference. My question is has anyone ever seen this or have a suggestion what I should do? The car had terrible brakes and I think this is why the pedal was so hard. Any advice would be appreciated
Todd
todd3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #2
deuce lover

Default Re: 32 spring perch differences

Check the part number on the perches.32's of course begin with a "B" and 33-34 begin with 40-.Its been my experience that the 33-34 perch sits higher by maybe 1/8" which led me to believe Ford made that change because over time as the shackle bushing wears the spring will ride on the axle.Seen many 32 axles with that problem.I never compared the angle of those 2 perches(to see if there was a difference) as I always converted my cars to hydraulic brakes.I'm positive others will chime in with their ideas.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:59 AM   #3
DavidG

It sounds like you have a bent spring perch. The brake backing plates, drums, shoes, and all other brake parts inside the drums, spindles, the horizontal brake operating shafts and housings, the vertical brake operating shafts inside the the king pins, and the king pins are all the same for '32-'34 passenger cars and commercial vehicles. Whether your spring perches are the B version or the 40 version, neither will not affect the fit of the horizontal brake operating shafts into the head of the king pins unless the spring perch is bent.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:53 AM   #4
Terry,OH

I agree with deuce lover the 32 and 33-34 perches appear to be slightly different. Have noticed the same detail differences. Many of the 32, 33 & 34 perches are not marked with the part number, some are. I also agree with DavidG it would appear one perch may be bent since the difference in the perches is the spring shackle mount and not the brake connection point.
I also see that Bob Drake is or is going to reproduce the perches, see the last page of his sales flier. Not even mentioning the 32 front engine supports.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #5
todd3131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,OH View Post
I agree with deuce lover the 32 and 33-34 perches appear to be slightly different. Have noticed the same detail differences. Many of the 32, 33 & 34 perches are not marked with the part number, some are. I also agree with DavidG it would appear one perch may be bent since the difference in the perches is the spring shackle mount and not the brake connection point.
I also see that Bob Drake is or is going to reproduce the perches, see the last page of his sales flier. Not even mentioning the 32 front engine supports.
If it is bent it isn't readily visible I do know they are quite different, is it possible that the king pins are different or the axles I think I may have to heat it and bend it above spring but it does make me nervous.
todd3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:42 PM   #6
DavidG

Without photos it's not possible to ascertain if both of your spring perches are original parts and compatible with one another. It may be a better course of action to replace the incompatible spring rather than trying to bend it.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote