Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-19-2017, 11:07 AM   #1
dahrens1

Default Stone Guard Side Brackets - Correct Height?

I purchased a new stone guard for my 1931 and the side brackets are at least 1" higher then the headlight conduit grommets, shouldn't they be even with the grommets? Has anyone else run into this problem? Are the grommet holes in the radiator shell higher in the 1930 shells or are they the same height from where the bottom bracket hooks over the radiator shell. Photos below show what I am referring to.

Thanks

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1647_resized.jpg (145.2 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1649_resized.jpg (159.2 KB, 69 views)
dahrens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 11:54 AM   #2
barnstuf

Default Re: Stone Guard Side Brackets - Correct Height?

If the stone guard top opening for the Ford emblem to be seen is in alignment with the emblem, and you find the mounting brackets are too high, then yes you have a problem. You are not the first one to encounter this as a friend had this problem with a 1931 stone guard last year.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:04 PM   #3
Tom F OHIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahrens1 View Post
I purchased a new stone guard for my 1931 and the side brackets are at least 1" higher then the headlight conduit grommets, shouldn't they be even with the grommets? Has anyone else run into this problem? Are the grommet holes in the radiator shell higher in the 1930 shells or are they the same height from where the bottom bracket hooks over the radiator shell. Photos below show what I am referring to.

Thanks

Dave
Dave, the brackets on the stone guard should line up with the holes for the headlight conduits. Mine is a 1930 but I think they are hooked up all the same.
Tom F OHIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:39 PM   #4
1931 flamingo

Is it "seated" correctly on the bottom??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:58 AM   #5
dahrens1

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstuf View Post
If the stone guard top opening for the Ford emblem to be seen is in alignment with the emblem, and you find the mounting brackets are too high, then yes you have a problem. You are not the first one to encounter this as a friend had this problem with a 1931 stone guard last year.
The bottom hole lines up almost exactly but the oval opening at the top of the stone guard is about a 1/4" too high relative to the Ford emblem, but I could probably move the Ford emblem up to match, so my main concern is the side attachment tabs which are way too high.

So Barnstuf, what did your friend do to resolve this issue last year? I don't want to drill new holes in my radiator shell and I'm not certain that if I buy another stone guard from a different vendor that it will be any better since they may all be made by the same company in Taiwan.

Thanks

Dave
Old 08-20-2017, 10:05 AM   #6
Wm J.

A few years ago I read some place the Canadian shells were off by an inch or so at the conduit holes. Why I don't know or remember.
Wm J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:21 AM   #7
Bob C

If it's a 1/4" off at the oval you may have the wrong stone guard.
See post #4 in the link. https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ht=stone+guard

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 02:49 PM   #8
dahrens1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
If it's a 1/4" off at the oval you may have the wrong stone guard.
See post #4 in the link. https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ht=stone+guard

Bob
Thanks Bob. I took a look at post #4 and my SG is definitely not 30 1/2" long as shown in Mac's catalog, it is closer to 30 3/4" which would correspond to the 1930 SG. The vendor did sent me a 1930 SG to compare and the top oval cutout was about 1/2" too high compared to where the Ford emblem is on my radiator shell and the side mounting tabs were still at least an inch too high relative to the headlight conduit grommets. Also bottom hole center to top oval cutout center measurement on Mike's website do not match either. They have 24 3/4" for the 1931 and the SG I received had a hole-to-hole center measurement of 25 1/4".

Dave
Old 08-21-2017, 03:14 PM   #9
dahrens1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wm J. View Post
A few years ago I read some place the Canadian shells were off by an inch or so at the conduit holes. Why I don't know or remember.
I thought the radiator shell in my car was an original U.S. version but I can't be certain of this. If the Canadian shells had conduit holes that were about 1" to 1 1/4" lower then the U.S. version then this could explain what is going on.

If anyone has a USA 1931 original shell could you please measure from where the bottom stone guard "L" bracket hooks over on the radiator shell up to the center of the highlight conduit grommet holes and let me know what that measurement is on your car? I'm getting approximately 12 1/2".

Thanks

Dave