Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-31-2018, 06:25 PM   #1
grovesmr

Default Working on grandpa's car.

The car in question is a 35 roadster. Engine is a 59ab. It's been sitting out of service for at least 15 years.

Battery is a year old. Never used yet. But stored in climate controlled garage since I bought it. I got 6v with my meter and I've been charging for about an hour.

Car is equipped with an inline electric fuel pump and it sounds like it's working or trying. No fuel in the system, I've drained the tank and sediment bowl and carb. I've checked to make sure the engine isn't seized, removed plugs to get rid of compression working against me.

Foot on starter and I can hear the starter turning but it is not turning the motor.

Since history on the car cannot be confirmed, I'm suspecting the starter. Since it has an electric pump maybe it has been converted to 12v? If I throw in a 12v to try to get the starter kicking will anything be damaged?

Maybe it's just gunk on the threads for the gear on the starter that's holding the gear in place?

Any ideas?
grovesmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:27 PM   #2
adileo

Default Re: Working on grandpa's car.

Many on here have 6 volt electric pump, including me.

Andy
1952 F1
adileo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:31 PM   #3
grovesmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by adileo View Post
Many on here have 6 volt electric pump, including me.
I figured they were out there, 6v pumps. I just threw that in there to show it's been tinkered with.

I don't know how to check if the car wants 12v or 6v. I don't want to damage a guage or something by throwing in a 12v battery just to kick the starter.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:44 PM   #4
koates

You can put 12 volts just on the starter without putting 12 volts on any of the other electrics. Just connect a 12 volt battery using jumper cables to the starter motor main terminal and ground on the engine block making the block connection last. The 12 volts may just unstick a stuck starter drive if that's the problem. Original Ford electric system is 6 volts with positive terminal to ground. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:55 PM   #5
flatheadmurre

Quote:
Originally Posted by grovesmr View Post
I figured they were out there, 6v pumps. I just threw that in there to show it's been tinkered with.

I don't know how to check if the car wants 12v or 6v. I don't want to damage a guage or something by throwing in a 12v battery just to kick the starter.
Take out a lightbulb and see what it says on it.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:56 PM   #6
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

I had this problem on a long stored car were the bendix gog was stuck ,the pan cap was of the end so a grabbed the first thing within reach( shifter wrench) and shoved it handle first in the hole. I blipped the starter and the thing broke loose and engaged .after that sprayed with WD40 .Ted

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:09 PM   #7
grovesmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by koates View Post
You can put 12 volts just on the starter without putting 12 volts on any of the other electrics. Just connect a 12 volt battery using jumper cables to the starter motor main terminal and ground on the engine block making the block connection last. The 12 volts may just unstick a stuck starter drive if that's the problem. Original Ford electric system is 6 volts with positive terminal to ground. Regards, Kevin.
Thanks Kevin. I should have stated I know it should be reverse polarity. Or maybe we now have the reverse in modern times. 🤣

A helper would be be nice, I can only see so much when my foot is attached to the starter. I hear the starter but can't see the fan move. .. I guess it's possible the motor is turning and pumps are siezed holding the belt. I just can't see it all.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:10 PM   #8
grovesmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadmurre View Post
Take out a lightbulb and see what it says on it.
You sir are a smart ass. Compliments to you good sir
Old 01-31-2018, 07:12 PM   #9
adileo

Did you check to see if the selenoid has a button under it? If it does you crank from there

Andy
1952 F1
adileo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:18 PM   #10
grovesmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatheadTed View Post
I had this problem on a long stored car were the bendix gog was stuck ,the pan cap was of the end so a grabbed the first thing within reach( shifter wrench) and shoved it handle first in the hole. I blipped the starter and the thing broke loose and engaged .after that sprayed with WD40 .Ted
This was my diagnosis well. Can't rule out some other things just yet. New to these old cars but by tearing down the flathead for my truck I have seen some parts and I thought it might be this. I guess this is worth looking into.

Thank you sir
Old 01-31-2018, 07:32 PM   #11
bill3337

Maybe I missed the obvious, but can you turn the engine over by hand with the front pulley?
bill3337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:41 PM   #12
51504bat

You might be concerned about the oil pick up screen being blocked with crud. Hate for you to get it running only to damage the engine with no oil pressure.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:43 PM   #13
B-O-B

just jump your 12v directly to the starter terminal should be fine.

Last edited by B-O-B; 01-31-2018 at 07:47 PM. Reason: been posted
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:48 PM   #14
grovesmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill3337 View Post
Maybe I missed the obvious, but can you turn the engine over by hand with the front pulley?
By hand? No. I'm not a 200lb gorilla. With a short ratchet no problem
Old 01-31-2018, 10:34 PM   #15
AnthonyG

Not sure from ur answer, can u turn over by hand with breaker bar and socket 0n crank pulley? Shouldn't be that hard. If it is then you've got resistance issues u gotta clear in engine, PP/FW. Assuming u shot some oil into the spark plug holes before trying to tun over. If turns fairly easy move to your grounds. If grounds are carroding may not be getting full power from battery. Direct connect as has been said of 12 volt to starter only wont hurt a 6 v starter. Many run 6v starter with 12v conversion on car. Spins twice as fast.
Good luck, go slow, be safe, don't inadvertently damage engine by not taking care to make sure all as clean as possible & oiled well. Before trying to run it use clean container of gas as I'm sure after 20 yrs ur tank needs to be cleaned or replaced as not to run crud to / thru carb. All 101 stuff but important
Old 01-31-2018, 10:39 PM   #16
1949f1

Quote:
Originally Posted by grovesmr View Post
You sir are a smart ass. Compliments to you good sir
how is he a smart ass? If its been converted it should say 6 or 12 on the bulb. If the spark plugs are out it should be fairly easy to turn it by hand. Regardless can you bump start it by pulling it behind something? That's usually how we start one that's been sitting awhile.
1949f1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:46 AM   #17
Mart

I checked the bulbs on my recently aquired 41 pu to see if it is 12V. Smart, yes, Smartass, no.

Starter is probably 6V so will turn over ok on 6V anyway.

Is the starter only just about turning? If turning slowly it will not throw the bendix out even if not stuck. If the starter is whizzing over at high speed and not turning the engine, the bendix is probably stuck.

Mart.
Mart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:40 AM   #18
George/Maine

This works most of the time to tell if 6 or 12 volts. Take the cables off and use your finger and see witch one is larger. The larger is pos. You have a nice car there and my guess its 12 volts. Take and mark the fan belt and see if it moved.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 01:57 PM   #19
rotorwrench

Lots of things can get stuck in that amount of time. Stuck valves, clutch disk, water pumps, etc. If the starter just spins free, it will just sound like any electric motor whizzing away at higher that normal rpm (stuck bendix). If its turning the motor then you can generally hear the wah, wah sound they normally make.

I'd put a crank to it and see if she turns by hand. If it's not set up for a hand crank then you'll need a wrench of some type to turn it. I do this through two full turns before even engaging the starter just to make sure nothing will get damaged. Oil or marvel mystery oil squirted in the cylinders won't hurt either. It hasn't seen any top end lube for a long time. A crust will build up in there and every thing gets sticky.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:08 AM   #20
chap52

rotorwrench X2
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote