Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-09-2012, 02:39 PM   #1
Ice man

Default Ford Tri Motor

I see a story about the Ford Tri Motor in the introduction. WOW what a trip. Back in the 60s we were driving through Sandusky, Ohio and I saw a banner advertising a trip to the Islands in Lake Erie on the Ford Tri Motor. We flew to lower Bass island (top speed was 90mph) and I was hooked. Talked to the pilot and he suggested that if I like that ride I should come back in the morning and take the mail run. It stopped at all 5 Islands. Well, I had a hard time sleeping but was there early for the morning flite, so I could get a good seat. HA, I was the only one there beside the pilot, so he suggested I ride up front with him. DID NOT NEED any encouragement. That was a thrill of a life time and some thing I will take to my grave. To bad they don't fly them any more. We approached Rattlesnake Island at 45 mph and traveled all the way across the Island before getting her stoped. He turned the plane around and slid the window open and a bag of mail appeared (like in the old days) and he through it over to me and throlled up and in half the distance it took to land,we were airborne.
Many do not realise that Henry started the first commercial airport next to the Deaborn Inn that he built for that purpose, and had lower class accomodations for the pilots to stay at the adjoining Hotel. Just a bit of Henry history. Iceman
Ice man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
ctlikon0712

Default Re: Ford Tri Motor

Great Story Ice Man, thanks! Here is a pic of one that Lindenburgh flew.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TAT Ford 5-AT-B flown by Lindbergh.jpg (88.8 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by ctlikon0712; 10-17-2012 at 02:33 AM.
ctlikon0712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
TampaTech

I rode in one of the Tri-Motors in 1975 when I was six years old. It had previously been used as a school bus taking kids from Put-in-Bay to Port Clinton. When I saw one was coming to Plant City, FL this past summer I jumped at the chance to ride in one again. My two year old is too young to remember but I brought him along for the flight anyway.

The EAA takes their 1929 Tri-Motor out on tour in the summer. It looks like you could still take a ride this year if you go to Oshkosh. Otherwise keep an eye on their web site. Maybe she'll be closer to you next summer. Probably not all the way to St. Thomas though.

http://www.airventuremuseum.org/fordtrimotor/
TampaTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
Great Lakes Greg

I rode the Tri-motor belonging to the Kalamazoo Air-zoo. Last I heard, it was torn down for an airframe restoration.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #5
TudooR31

I had my 1st encounter this summer.
Trimotor01.jpg
TudooR31 is offline   Reply With Quote