Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #1
jojofilo88

Default Transmission Fluid - Beginner Question

Hey everyone,
Heres an easy general questiom that I don't know the answer to...

I took the shift lever off my transmission and noticed there isn't very much transmission fluid inside. In the posts I've read online here, it seems that 600W goes inside here? I have 600W for the rear diff...is that really what goes in thr transmission? Or is there another type of 600W.

Thanks
jojofilo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:27 AM   #2
329s

Default Re: Transmission Fluid - Beginner Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojofilo88 View Post
Hey everyone,
Heres an easy general questiom that I don't know the answer to...

I took the shift lever off my transmission and noticed there isn't very much transmission fluid inside. In the posts I've read online here, it seems that 600W goes inside here? I have 600W for the rear diff...is that really what goes in thr transmission? Or is there another type of 600W.

Thanks
600W is 600W...

Some folks even use STP!

Pluck
329s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

It's only filled to the top fil plug on the right side of the tranny. Yes, the same 600W goes into the tranny and rear end. I put small powerful magnets into the pockets of the tranny fill and drain plugs to catch any metal grit.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
Chris in WNC

based on Roger Kaufman's recommendation, I have run straight STP in transmissions, differentials and steering boxes for years.
a nuisance to put in (especially in cold weather) but works very well........
Old 08-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
Terry, NJ

There are certain questions that one must think about before asking around here. This is one of them! You will get a lot of differing answers, some even contradictory. It's like, "What's the best bait for Catfish?" Everyone has their own recipe. To begin with, I've always heard that 600W is not what we would call SAE 600 W weight oil. It's called 600 but it's actually around SAE 240. Maybe I've got that wrong, but that's what I've heard. Anyway, You won't go wrong using it. Some swear by STP. I'm using it with Lucas "Oil stabilizer". If it doesn't work out, I'll say so. Another time someone said that Lucas Hub Oil was working. At the same time, someone else said said it made the Trans impossible to shift on Hub Oil. Then there's "Steam Cylinder Oil", something that's totally out of my experience. And Lubriplate makes some products that are good. The important thing to remember is that the lowest quality oil of today is better than the best oil of 1930. The oil must accomplish certain things. Be thick enough not leak past the gaskets, Stick to and lubricate the gears. And slow the transmission down while shifting. Hope this helps!
Terry

Last edited by Terry, NJ; 08-19-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
Joop

All you want to know and more

Click here: The Ford Barn - Search Results
Joop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #7
jojofilo88

thanks for all the help and opinions everyone! ill try using the 600W for now since i have it and see how it works for me...if needed i can swap to one of the other types mentioned!

Joe
jojofilo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:52 PM   #8
Dusty

I know this has been hash around but I would like to share my experiance. When I got my "A" about 4 years ago it shifted I guess as an "A" should shift. I would double clutch and for the most part worked fine and it also had the whine in first and 2nd as it should. Well over time it did leak some and I would top it off with 90/140 gear oil. Well it seemed the whine got louder and no matter how I shifted it would crunch.

I seen on here the sugestion of Lucas Hub oil and I found some locally. I drained what was it the tranny and replaced it with the hub oil. Never has the tranny shift more smoothly and I know the whine has decreased by at 30%( educated guess) I now rarely double clutch, I just shift slowly ( relatively speaking)and it slides smoothly into gear.Also the gears have a more silky feel to them, almost plastic like???

I know that Lucas also has not recommended using the hub oil but damn for me it has worked nicely.

Healing fast in WV
dusty
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:43 AM   #9
1931 flamingo

Dusty: What happens in the winter?? Or don't you use or doesn't it get "cold" What I'm referring to is in cold weather does the lucas "thicken" up?
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:03 AM   #10
Flathead

I bought some of the Lucas Hub Oil, I haven't tried it in the trans yet but the container says it is good to use in transmissions. It "looks" like good stuff. I did put some in my 2-tooth steering box and it is still in there.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:07 AM   #11
Ed in Maine

Don't forget that the Reverse Idler Shaft sticks out through the back of the transmission and is a potential leak path if the shaft wasn't modified with an o-ring. The use of thick oil like 600W minimizes this problem. I am always saving cardboard boxes to put under my car! Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #12
Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Dusty: What happens in the winter?? Or don't you use or doesn't it get "cold" What I'm referring to is in cold weather does the lucas "thicken" up?
Paul in CT
Paul it gets cold here, sometimes real cold but I don't drive the "A" after October unless we happen to get a great day and there is no salt on the roads. So I can't answer that question and for me it is not a problem.

I know this may not be the right thing but it works so well for me and you would think that anything made today would have to be way better in the lubrication department than something from 80 years ago.

dusty
Old 08-20-2012, 05:56 PM   #13
Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Maine View Post
Don't forget that the Reverse Idler Shaft sticks out through the back of the transmission and is a potential leak path if the shaft wasn't modified with an o-ring. The use of thick oil like 600W minimizes this problem. I am always saving cardboard boxes to put under my car! Ed
Yep and I have notice less fluid from the tranny sense the switch, I do get a soccer size puddle of oil from the rear main but I can easily separate the tranny fluid from the oil as it is much more gooey.

dusty