Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-21-2020, 10:30 AM   #1
Ed in Maine

Default Leaking Shock Absorbers

I have a set of original shock absorbers that were rebuilt by the previous owner. They look very nice and seem to have good action but two of them leak between the cover and locking ring where the cover contacts the o-ring.

Now I know this is not going to look like an original shock but after several days this shock has not leaked. I purchased a roll of Buna N rubber 1/2" x 10 ft. part no. 47400452 from MSC in Mableton, GA. The rubber has an adhesive to make it easier to put on and stay in place. I also used Permatex RTV Silicone Sealer and a 3 1/2 in. hose clamp. Dump out the hydraulic fluid and clean the outside of the shock with a solvent. Put a bead of RTV at the seam where the o-ring is located and gently put on the rubber strip cut to the correct length. Put the seam at the top. Following the Permatex instructions, wait an hour and then tighten the hose clamp. The repair costs about $20.00 and the materials purchased will do all four shocks. Good luck, Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 10:42 AM   #2
Ruth

Default Re: Leaking Shock Absorbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Maine View Post
I have a set of original shock absorbers that were rebuilt by the previous owner. They look very nice and seem to have good action but two of them leak between the cover and locking ring where the cover contacts the o-ring.

Now I know this is not going to look like an original shock but after several days this shock has not leaked. I purchased a roll of Buna N rubber 1/2" x 10 ft. part no. 47400452 from MSC in Mableton, GA. The rubber has an adhesive to make it easier to put on and stay in place. I also used Permatex RTV Silicone Sealer and a 3 1/2 in. hose clamp. Dump out the hydraulic fluid and clean the outside of the shock with a solvent. Put a bead of RTV at the seam where the o-ring is located and gently put on the rubber strip cut to the correct length. Put the seam at the top. Following the Permatex instructions, wait an hour and then tighten the hose clamp. The repair costs about $20.00 and the materials purchased will do all four shocks. Good luck, Ed
Does it not leak because you "Dumped out the shock fluid" or did you put shock fluid back in at some point?
Old 04-21-2020, 12:27 PM   #3
Redbird

Do they come apart easier when they are leaking? All four of mine leak and I think the prior owner had them rebuilt quite awhile ago.
Redbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 12:50 PM   #4
Woodys29

If you are using shock fluid switch to 90 gear oil.it has been in my shocks for over forty years with no leaks and the ride is real good.had a fellow in our a club rebuild them when I restored my car and he did a lot of rebuilds using 90 gear with no problems.
Woodys29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 10:20 AM   #5
Ed in Maine

Yes, I did put the hydraulic fluid back in! The rebuilder also told me to use a heavier oil as suggested. I was also advised to have an air space in the shock. Don't fill it to the top. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 08:34 AM   #6
rotorwrench

As these things wear, higher viscosity oils are necessary. SAE 90 gear lube is the same viscosity as SAE 50 motor oil due to the different ways the two are tested.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote