Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-05-2018, 02:48 PM   #1
RalphG

Default 53 Flasher

I never had signal lights on the 52Merc so not sure where to find the flasher on this 53 (which came equipped with factory signal lights). I have not had a real detailed search under the dash yet but haven't seen anything that might be the signal flasher. I did see this unusual add on down on the right side of the control panel. Appears to be a plastic cover held in by those Philips head screws. Inside I can see a silver object kind of resembles the cigarette lighter socket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0434[1].jpg (60.4 KB, 63 views)
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:43 PM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: 53 Flasher

Somewhere in the area above the steering column there should be a receptacle that looks the same as the ones that the sealed beams plug into.
It should be mounted so that the flasher is plugged into it from front to rear.

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 02-05-2018 at 05:16 PM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:23 PM   #3
1949f1

The plastic cover is if I'm not mistaken a map light. I cant remember exactly how you turn it on. I haven't looked at it in a while. There should be two lights on the side of the dash as well shining on the floor. I was told once that their were courtesy lights in the back seat area as well. Is there any evidence of that on your car? Unfortunately my car was rewired with a J.C. Whitney harness in the 70's. A new stock appearing harness is in the future.
1949f1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:28 PM   #4
1949f1

As far as the turn signal goes we just traced the wires coming from the base of the steering column to find mine. Mine was just shoved into the lip of the dash.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:42 PM   #5
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1949f1 View Post
As far as the turn signal goes we just traced the wires coming from the base of the steering column to find mine. Mine was just shoved into the lip of the dash.
These wires come out the middle of the column and I'll have to track them from there. Re: the map light, on my 52 it has courtesy lights under the dash as well as a separate map light. I would assume the 53 would be the same. I've never seen one of these dashes with that plastic plate in the side. I suspect it is something a previous owner installed for reasons yet to be discovered. When it warms up a little I"ll get into tracking wires.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:38 AM   #6
rotorwrench

I hope yours is easier to get at than the 1951 Mercury cars. They were put on a small metal plate mounted above the emergency brake handle in front of the dash panel. I have to unbolt the E-brake control just to get my hand up in there. The fuses are in the same location and even harder to get at. Not one of Fords better ideas.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:20 PM   #7
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
I hope yours is easier to get at than the 1951 Mercury cars. They were put on a small metal plate mounted above the emergency brake handle in front of the dash panel. I have to unbolt the E-brake control just to get my hand up in there. The fuses are in the same location and even harder to get at. Not one of Fords better ideas.
The fuses on the 52-3 are easily accessible. You can see them in the picture I posted. There is one inline, I think for the heater control. The others on a board.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:10 PM   #8
1949f1

If this Is the plastic piece you’re talking about it’s not owner installed, and it is a map light.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (27.4 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by 1949f1; 02-06-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:14 PM   #9
1949f1

And of course I forgot there is a separate knob to turn it on. It’s been awhile since I’ve used it sorry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (25.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 02-06-2018, 07:18 PM   #10
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1949f1 View Post
If this Is the plastic piece you’re talking about it’s not owner installed, and it is a map light.
Thanks, I had no idea. My 52 has the same instrument panel but no such map light. It is down under the dash a little right of centre I believe. And it has a switch just like yours on the dash. I guess there were some minor changes between 52 and 53.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:57 PM   #11
Merc Cruzer

RalphG,

Your turn signal flasher for the 53' Merc is located above all of the wires in your picture, sorry but it is hard to get a good picture. The on and off interior light switch is shown in the attached picture. It is a push for off and pull for on. The light lens is held on with two screws, yours is correct.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flasher.jpg (51.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg light switch.jpg (61.1 KB, 24 views)
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:44 PM   #12
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post
RalphG,

Your turn signal flasher for the 53' Merc is located above all of the wires in your picture, sorry but it is hard to get a good picture. The on and off interior light switch is shown in the attached picture. It is a push for off and pull for on. The light lens is held on with two screws, yours is correct.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, that helps to give me a better idea where to look now for the flasher. And I thought I knew it all about the 52-53s. So I have learned something new today about that extra light on the side of the instrument panel.