Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-30-2015, 03:47 PM   #1
Tony, NY

Default Engine Problem- Piston

I have this "forever" project AV8 with a '51 Merc bored .060 over, and numerous other things done to it, that's 10 yrs in the making. It was running and on the road briefly this year. It has probably 5 running hours on it.
Here's what's going on. Last week I started it and revved it up a little and all of a sudden smoke starts coming out of the breather. Pulled the breather and could feel pressure pulses coming out. Shut it off and did a compression test.
Zero on number 4. Pulled the intake, nothing unusual. Pulled the pass head and found a hole in the piston.
Apparently, last winter when I tore it down to do something, it swallowed a small nut down the intake passage when it was off. No damage to valve.
So today I find out that those pistons (Silvolite cast) are no longer being made. What can I do? Put a different one in that cyl? Can I replace them all without doing any machine work? Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010523.JPG (151.2 KB, 56 views)
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:23 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Engine Problem- Piston

You should be able to replace all the pistons with a light cylinder honing as worse case. You could just replace the one piston as long as the weight matches the existing pistons. Was the head damaged?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:34 PM   #3
GOSFAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony, NY View Post
I have this "forever" project AV8 with a '51 Merc bored .060 over, and numerous other things done to it, that's 10 yrs in the making. It was running and on the road briefly this year. It has probably 5 running hours on it.
Here's what's going on. Last week I started it and revved it up a little and all of a sudden smoke starts coming out of the breather. Pulled the breather and could feel pressure pulses coming out. Shut it off and did a compression test.
Zero on number 4. Pulled the intake, nothing unusual. Pulled the pass head and found a hole in the piston.
Apparently, last winter when I tore it down to do something, it swallowed a small nut down the intake passage when it was off. No damage to valve.
So today I find out that those pistons (Silvolite cast) are no longer being made. What can I do? Put a different one in that cyl? Can I replace them all without doing any machine work? Thanks in advance.
Hi Tony, I have a few sets of the same type pistons on the shelf here, same size, +.060". I have the rings also.

They more than likely weigh the same as your Silvo-lites?? Do you happen to know the weights on yours now? I'll be able to estimate whether or not your facing any serious issues, but I don't believe you will. They should be somewhere around 415 grms and with a 120 grm pin??

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Give me a contact number and I will get back to you. Things go quicker for me by e-mailing me at [email protected] I can't get pricing until Wednesday, this is when I return to work. I have the same ones in the photo below but in .060".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead Piston-Nylen 030.JPG (72.4 KB, 40 views)
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:34 PM   #4
Tony, NY

JSeery. No head damage.
Gary. I don't know the weights, but I'll get a scale and let you know.
Thanks. Tony
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote