Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-15-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
wamnram

Default 1936 Ford Pinstripe

Does the pinstripe on the 36 Fords extend all the way to the surrounding grill trim ring on the front grill or does it stop to a taper just short of the trim. Also, how wide is it. I looked in the V8 Club 35/36 book for the info on the pinstripe but did not see any. I assumed the bodies were hand striped with an approximate 3/16 inch width?
Old 12-15-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
Ken Bull

Default Re: 1936 Ford Pinstripe

I plan on getting mine striped in Jan by Sunny Ackermann here in Florida. He said it ends on each side of the grille and goes all the way around to the other side. I dont know how wide the stripe will be (Im sure he knows whats correct)--so im interested in what replies you get!!
Ken Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:15 PM   #3
DavidG

According to Ford's records, the stripe was 3/32" wide and located 5/8" below the belt line crease. It started with a slight curve just rearward of the stainless steel moulding on the grille and continued on uninterrupted to the other side of the grille.

There is good photo of the starting point of the stripe on the cover of the V-8 Club's '35-'36 book (the middle photo at the top of the cover).
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:12 PM   #4
wamnram

Thanks David! You have good eyes, I had to get my magnifying glass out in order to see it.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:37 PM   #5
Don Rogers

During my last visit to The Benson Ford Research Center, I came across several SK drawings ( SK-10133-A, SK-10149, & SK-10148-A)that gave additional stripe detail on 35 and 36 Fords. The stripe location and width was identical with Dave's information above but the 36 pinstripe in these drawings did not curve up at the grille. It tapered to a point. The taper began 5" from the stainless grille trime. It appears that there were several striping patterns in 1936.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36 pinstripe.jpg (171.9 KB, 64 views)
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:55 PM   #6
KiWinUS

I distinctly remember the original pinstripe on my Kiwi RHD 36 had like a little arrowhead where it began on the grille . The width above would be correct & mine was silver on a grey vinyard green.
Cheers
Tony
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:41 PM   #7
DavidG

Don,

In looking through the Archives photos of '35s and '36s in George DeAngelis' book, the variations in the striping at the front of both '35s and '36s are quite noticeable ranging from the straight-line treatment (with and without a taper) to the upward curve treatment as shown on the '36 in the photo at the top of the cover of the '35-'36 book. I was somewhat surprised to see the upward curve treatment on some of the '35s.

As the striping was done freehand, the possibility for slight variations is virtually endless.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote