Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-09-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
mach0415

Default Classic Car Insurance

So I went on the Grundy Insurance website and found out that unless you live in South Carolina or Massachusetts , you cannot get classic car insurance through Grundy. Here is what it says on their website:
"As of October 20, 2011, Philadelphia Insurance (PHLY) has assumed administrative responsibilities of policies previously issued under the name "Grundy Worldwide" in all states except Massachusetts and South Carolina.

In 48 states, PHLY has imposed a "non-compete" on Grundy Insurance at the current time, which prohibits us from writing new Collector-Car-Only policies. We hope that in the future, the non-compete is reversed, rescinded or expired. Until that time, we can insure collector vehicles, but only in conjunction with other policies.

If you want to take advantage of our expertise and legendary service, please check out our two new, breakthrough insurance products. We believe these new programs will evolve to be the future standard of insuring all your vehicles."

So what other companies with the same reputation does everyone recommend that carry liability policies for a low price?

Mark in NC
mach0415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:52 PM   #2
azmodela
BANNED

Default Re: Classic Car Insurance

Bummer, but I'm not a fan of Grundy.

Search the archives, there's a ton of discussion on this topic and the preferred oil for your A.
azmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #3
1931 flamingo

This was discussed at length either here or on the EV8 board back in october. Do a search.
I have Haggerty.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:12 PM   #4
Tom Cavallaro

Two months ago I tried to get insurance through Grundy..talked with an agent and he took all the info. Sent me everything in the mail. I filled it out and a check for $131.00 and all..only to get everything but the pictures returnd to me stating the same thing you mentioned. I now have Leland Ins. in CA. It's full coverage for $171 on a Model a.
Tom Cavallaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:02 PM   #5
mach0415

Just got Hagerty for $125.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:06 PM   #6
mach0415

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmodela View Post
Bummer, but I'm not a fan of Grundy.

Search the archives, there's a ton of discussion on this topic and the preferred oil for your A.
Ahhh yes...the preferred oil debacle. I am a member of a diesel Benz forum also, and oil is especially a fire suit only discussion.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:27 PM   #7
Louis

I've had Hagerty for awhile, Today I renewed for my 1931 "A" ford coupe, a 1967 m151 milt. jeep, a 1972 VW bettle, all three for one year for $256....Good people.
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:30 PM   #8
LukeDahlinger
BANNED

Hagerty! I have 6 cars insured thru them and never had a problem. Great service.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:16 PM   #9
Barry B./ Ma.

I just changed from Grundy to Hagerty and I'm glad I did.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:10 PM   #10
JBR

MetLife / Condon & Skelly. 2 Model A's -about $150.00 per year.
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:03 PM   #11
shall

Hagerty here. $12,000 coverage, towing within 50 miles,500K/1K/500k per accident zero deductable. $189 year.
shall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:56 AM   #12
CountrySquire55

I have Hagerty. $20,000 car value, 5000 miles driving per year, $202 premium.
CountrySquire55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:02 AM   #13
Georgew48

Hagertys wanted 180 a year for a 16,500 value but got the same coverage thru my State Farm agent for 138. I have all my toys, vehicles and house with them and have been with them for over 45 years and never a problem with a claim.
Georgew48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:29 AM   #14
Droobie

Does anyone know of an insurance company that will cover an A that is not garaged? that is my only set back is I do not not have a garage. It truly is a bummer not having one.
Droobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:37 AM   #15
Keith True

While I've been with Hagerty for many years,it seems like they are more of an agent than an underwriter.I believe that in the last 20 years or so there have been 7 different companies listed as the underwriter.The last two I can remember are Glen Falls,and Encompass.A lot of underwriters don't want to comply with N.H. insurance regulations,so they pull out.I've had the same policy on my garage for over 20 years,but with maybe a dozen underwriters.You can insure an antique here with State Farm,and reasonably,but read the fine print.It says stated value.If you go for agreed value,the price skyrockets.Also,this year on my Hagerty renewal,the wording has been changed from stated value to actual cash value.I haven't looked into that yet to find out just what it means,but they don't just change wording for no reason.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:59 AM   #16
Georgew48

With State Farm I only had to provide an apprasil. Mine was apraised for for 16500 so that is what it is inured for. If that changes all I have to do is provide the new apprasil. I would think this would only be necessary if the market value of these cars changes very much.
Georgew48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:42 AM   #17
azmodela
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgew48 View Post
With State Farm I only had to provide an apprasil. Mine was apraised for for 16500 so that is what it is inured for. If that changes all I have to do is provide the new apprasil. I would think this would only be necessary if the market value of these cars changes very much.
You may want to look into that again. Could you replace your car for that cost? Could you build a car for that price?

For car owners, car restoration isn't a profitable venture. You'll have more in the car than it's worth, and I think you'll find that in the event of a loss, the $16,500 in replacement won't leave you with a happy feeling.

So you may want to ask yourself how much you have in the car, or what would it take to replicate this car and not what the car is worth.
azmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:14 PM   #18
BILL WILLIAMSON

Glen Blue, (a friend,) made a classic statement that always rings in my ears, (ding dong, ding dong), He said, "IF YOU'RE GO'NNA PLAY, YOU GOTT'A PAY!!)
Old 12-10-2011, 03:49 PM   #19
Ron in Quincy

Unless I am wrong, I would suggest you telephone Philidelphia Insurance Co. and talk to someone. I received the letter from Grundy telling me that P. I. C. would be the carrier of my insurance. I just renewed my policy which covers my 3 A's; each one is covered for at least $ 20,000.00, unlimited mileage, uninsured motorist, no deductable, full coverage. My premium for the 3 A's for one year coverage was $373.90.

I had a claim last year and P.I.C. was already handling claims for Grundy. I had excellent service and settlement and would not even consider changing my insurance carrier.

We have had several local club members who changed their coverage to P.I.C. recently and had no problems getting their coverage issued on their A.

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:03 PM   #20
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmodela View Post
You may want to look into that again. Could you replace your car for that cost? Could you build a car for that price?

For car owners, car restoration isn't a profitable venture. You'll have more in the car than it's worth, and I think you'll find that in the event of a loss, the $16,500 in replacement won't leave you with a happy feeling.

So you may want to ask yourself how much you have in the car, or what would it take to replicate this car and not what the car is worth.
This is a great point that many need to heed! Most hobbyists are underinsured on their Model A coverage based on what I have experienced in my profession. For example, even if you are "only" involved in an accident, $15K won't go far with professional collision damage repair, and it is likely the insurance company would consider it a total loss and exchange your $16.5K agreed amount for your vehicle title in which they will sell to a salvage company to recoop a portion of their loss.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote