Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-03-2015, 03:22 PM   #1
harleynut

Default tranny gears

Just to get another opinion, if you can tell by the picture if the cluster gear and slider are junk. This is from a spare transmission that I was going to rebuild. Do to the cost of new gears and some doubt of the quality of new gears, I'm having second thoughts.

Last edited by harleynut; 02-21-2016 at 01:02 AM.
harleynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 03:32 PM   #2
Pete

Default Re: tranny gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleynut View Post
Just to get another opinion, if you can tell by the picture if the cluster gear and slider are junk. This is from a spare transmission that I was going to rebuild. Do to the cost of new gears and some doubt of the quality of new gears, I'm having second thoughts.
Contact Mac VanPelt at: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/member.php?u=64

Besides being a neat guy, he knows just about all there is to know about these transmissions.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 03:33 PM   #3
2manycars

Second gear on the cluster looks very worn, and pitted. I would not use it. I suspect it might slip out of gear, and it wouild probably be quite noisy.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 03:39 PM   #4
Mike

Yes they are junk
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 04:14 PM   #5
PepeLoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Yes they are junk
Hey Mike,
Why are they all junk? Or what is it that you see to draw that conclusion?
I am learning to know.
THANKS!!!
Pepe
PepeLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 04:32 PM   #6
wrndln

The problem with the gears is they are pitted and galled. Look at the sides of the teeth - note the pock marks on them. I would never use gears like these in any of my transmissions.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 04:48 PM   #7
Tom Endy

I would not use this cluster gear in a rebuild. The teeth in the second and first position are severely worn, with pits where the surface has come off. It would work in a transmission, but would be noisy in first and second. Best to find a better one.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:07 PM   #8
harleynut

Thanks guys......that's what I thought also. Just wanted to be sure. First time I had a transmission apart. Good learning experience.
harleynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:46 PM   #9
Synchro909

Although I wouldn't use gears like those in a rebuild, the gears in the 'box in a 1928 Tudor I imported from the US a few years ago has gears worse than those.
When I take delivery of a "new" car, I check through everything and found the oil level was so low that only the big gear at the front of the lower shaft was touching the oil. I have no idea how far it had gone like that. When I mentioned it to the previous owner, he said "That could be, I've never checked the oil" All of the gears were in terrible shape but at that stage, I had no spare transmission so I topped up the oil and left it at that.
I've done about 8,000 miles since then and the gears behave just as they should and are NOT NOISY. Neither are the bearings. I have 2 spare transmissions now but "if it aint broke......" so it stays where it is.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:46 PM   #10
RonC

If you you want to spend for new gears get the Mark Auto gears they are the best in the market, you won't be disappointed .
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:03 PM   #11
1955cj5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC View Post
If you you want to spend for new gears get the Mark Auto gears they are the best in the market, you won't be disappointed .
Do they have a web site? No luck with google.....
1955cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:13 AM   #12
RonC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1955cj5 View Post
Do they have a web site? No luck with google.....
They no longer sell direct to the public you have to buy them through a Model A parts dealer. I know Brattons sell them. Mark Auto is also the sole maker of the repro Zenith carb.
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:03 AM   #13
JohnLaVoy

The gears Mark Auto sells are great. We've used two complete sets. They are USA made and that is one way to make sure you are getting their product. The first set I used was on the sedan in 2007, the transmission has served me well since then with about 40,000 miles on it to date. No noise no popping out of gear etc.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:16 AM   #14
Rowdy
BANNED

I have an old Auto Gear Company Standard Transmission and Overdrive catalog that has the Werner part numbers. When I know I may have a transmission rebuild in the near future I use the computer and start searching using the numbers in the book. Over time I have picked up NORS gears for a fraction of the price of the new gears sold by vendors. Rod
Old 07-04-2015, 12:49 PM   #15
ursus

Look for whole transmissions at swap meets. These are usually covered with grease and ignored by most everybody. Sometimes the seller will allow you to pop off the top and look inside. Otherwise it is a crapshoot as to the condition of the internals. If the pilot bearing race on the input gear is within spec it may indicate the unit has been rebuilt at some time. Even if it is nicely painted and sold as "rebuilt" it may have new bearings but worn and pitted gears. I have bought some junk but have found a number of transmissions for around $25 that didn't look like much but contained nearly new Ford or similar quality gears.

The last one I bought been converted to some industrial application because the output shaft had some gizmo welded onto it and the shift lever was shortened to a foot in length. The seller assured me it had good gears, but nobody wanted it because of the alterations. I gave him 20 bucks for it because the input shaft was like new. When I opened it up I found that all the gears were virtually new and were NOS Ford gears. It is the quietest running "A" transmission I have ever had.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:49 PM   #16
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
The problem with the gears is they are pitted and galled. Look at the sides of the teeth - note the pock marks on them. I would never use gears like these in any of my transmissions.
Rusty Nelson
I've seen gears that were a little worn at the point they engage. I have seen and heard of these gears working fine. BUT, your picture like wrndln says are galled and pitted. Get rid of them now rather then later.