Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-22-2016, 09:06 PM   #21
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania
Default Re: Zenith carburetors

Purchased the Marvel carb that's on my 31' Tudor off eBay a few weeks ago from a guy in Texas for $175. He sells both Tillotson and Marvel "re-manufactured" carburetors with free Priority Mail shipping. Just looked and he presently has no Marvels offered. Those rebuilt Marvel carburetors apparently sell like hot cakes. The night that I bought one, he sold three just before my purchase. With that overhauled as new Marvel Schebler carb, the 85 year old Ford just sits there now at idle percolating away so smoothly.

Below is a link to a Marvel carburetor being now offered by this mentioned eBay seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Scheb...AAAOSwBnVW8qaW

Last edited by Capt Quahog; 03-23-2016 at 12:17 PM.
Capt Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:28 PM   #22
harleynut

I run a high boy on my Marvel
harleynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:56 PM   #23
pgerhardt

I'd have to dig out (It is in one of my swap meet totes.) my air maze to test, but the O.D. of the air inlet is 1 3/4 inches.
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 02:21 PM   #24
pgerhardt

I dug out my zenith. An Air Maze should fit. The air inlets are the same size as a zenith. However I don't run an air filter. My engine just has to last as long as I do!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2304.jpg (58.6 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by pgerhardt; 03-23-2016 at 02:26 PM.
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 02:52 PM   #25
Brianfrench65

So....is it recommended to leave a Marvel, aluminum finish, or paint it clear....or black?

Thank you.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:59 AM   #26
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania

The outlet (correct terminology?) on the Marvel seemed to be a little smaller in diameter than the Zenith carburetor. Then again, perhaps that was my imagination. Had two of those older air filter unit things that came with the car's extra parts when purchased. Busted them down and combined the two using the better components. The nut tightened down okay and the filter unit mounted snugly upon the Marvel carburetor. Have not driven the car any distance yet down the local washboard roads to see if with a few bunps the air filter deal falls off.

Quote:
So....is it recommended to leave a Marvel, aluminum finish, or paint it clear....or black?
Would think the reason some carburetors get painted is to prevent rust? Might figure that Marvels and Tillotsens would remain in the white metal.
Capt Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:27 AM   #27
jm29henry

Float set too high
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:42 AM   #28
41plym

I just installed a marvel I bought off eBay from the guy in Texas. (my second purchase from him, great to deal with) My car runs better than it ever has.
41plym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:06 PM   #29
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Quahog View Post
Purchased the Marvel carb that's on my 31' Tudor off eBay a few weeks ago from a guy in Texas for $175. He sells both Tillotson and Marvel "re-manufactured" carburetors with free Priority Mail shipping. Just looked and he presently has no Marvels offered. Those rebuilt Marvel carburetors apparently sell like hot cakes. The night that I bought one, he sold three just before my purchase. With that overhauled as new Marvel Schebler carb, the 85 year old Ford just sits there now at idle percolating away so smoothly.

Below is a link to a Marvel carburetor being now offered by this mentioned eBay seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Scheb...AAAOSwBnVW8qaW
Just got off the phone with the fellow, he's sending out a Zenith to me tomorrow that he's rebuilding at the moment. He doesn't have any Marvels in at the moment but might have one end of the week that he'll be rebuilding. Older fellow, been rebuilding carb for many many years. Fine fellow to talk to. He has that home grown Texas accent......

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:28 PM   #30
JD 1931

Send me you unwanted Zeniths, I will take them all day long and if properly built are the best for the model A...
JD 1931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:55 PM   #31
mshmodela

For those who rebuild carbs, is there a big difference between the flot design of a Zenith vs a Marvel?

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:20 PM   #32
Bruce

We used a KNOWN, GOOD Zeinth for the drive from Illinois to Colorado and back. No problems and we were having so much fun I never got around to changing in a newly rebuilt, beautiful, Zeinth with flowed jets that made the ride in bubble wrap. I didn't trust my workmanship for so long a drive. Last night I installed it ...
... What a sweet, smooth idle. Hardly needed any adjustment. And it pulled great all the way to 60 mph in OD. Back in the garage I did the finger-sniff test. Carb was completely dry. No drips.
No. I don't want to rebuild carbs for $$$. But I do love that efficient Henry Ford design with just one bolt holding it together! Sweetness!
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:47 PM   #33
31 Model A

With all these posts that talk about Henry's designed Zenith carbs, am I to understand that all Model A's came off the line with one of his Zenith carbs attached and not another carb?????????

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
Old 07-06-2016, 04:57 PM   #34
30ccpickup

"Tom Endy", when you are on this forum long enough, you know who to listen too! Follow his procedures, skip nothing, and smile when your "A" passes a modern car!!!

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:13 PM   #35
31 Model A

First I heard of this...................
The fuel line:
It is prudent to wrap both ferrule ends of the fuel lines with white Teflon tape.
Do not wrap the tape around the threads, as this is not where it seals. The seal is at the ferrules. The ferrules after much use will become deformed and wont seal off inside the fittings at the carburetor and at the firewall fitting. The tape will ensure a proper seal. Do not allow the tape to get over the ends of the fuel line. See photo below.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:52 PM   #36
Will Ziegler in LI NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
With all these posts that talk about Henry's designed Zenith carbs, am I to understand that all Model A's came off the line with one of his Zenith carbs attached and not another carb?????????
Yes they did.
Will Ziegler in LI NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:23 PM   #37
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Ziegler in LI NY View Post
Yes they did.
As it's said...."proof is in the pudding"!!!

Thanks

Old 07-06-2016, 06:57 PM   #38
Cool Hand Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
First I heard of this...................
The fuel line:
It is prudent to wrap both ferrule ends of the fuel lines with white Teflon tape.
Do not wrap the tape around the threads, as this is not where it seals. The seal is at the ferrules. The ferrules after much use will become deformed and wont seal off inside the fittings at the carburetor and at the firewall fitting. The tape will ensure a proper seal. Do not allow the tape to get over the ends of the fuel line. See photo below.

I know that a lot of guys like to use the teflon tape but I have found small slivers of that tape in places it shouldn't be. It can plug up small orifices in the carb or in valves, anyplace you don't want it to be. I won't use it on anything but household plumbing and even there I want to use pipe dope for the sealing and lubrication benefits.

Even using teflon tape around the ferrules in a compression fitting can create problems.
Here is proof inside a solenoid valve. Don't do it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Valves & Table 002.jpg (41.9 KB, 25 views)
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote