Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
Weaponsusmc

Default They say the only stupid question is the one unasked, so here it goes

I have two questions. first one is, are you suped to disconnect your battery after use, and why? (ok that was two questions, but I need to ask a third then).
What is a slant window? My 30' coupe has the front window that can be pushed out, is that it? (ok four questions).
Weaponsusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
Aok

Default Re: They say the only stupid question is the one unasked, so here it goes

You should not have to disconnect battery. My coupe will start after sitting for a month or more. If your battery dies in a short period you have a short somewhere. No a push out window does not make it a slant
Aok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: They say the only stupid question is the one unasked, so here it goes

I never disconnect my battery, and see no need to. My modern car has about 100 times the wire and electronics, and I don't disconnect that battery either.

Slant windshield cars were introduced in early 31 and have a sloping windshield when closed. They also have much less wood than earlier Fordors.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #4
stainless steve

either disconnect or put in a cut off switch does two things one you notice there is no fuse box so if parked and you have a short many BAD things can happen ,Two if you disconnect batt. it keeps it from haveing a draw down.Mainly SAFTEY.The other quesstion is the body style that has the windsheild laid back Im not sure of the body type, but its not becuase your windsheild opens out
stainless steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:03 PM   #5
Del in NE Ohio

Some guys disconnect battery, some don't. I don't.. Couldn't tell you really why others do.. Perhaps a more saavy member will reply with good answer. The "slant window" designation refers to certain '31 closed cars that were produced with no visor over the windshield and the A post actually is slanted aft of vertical. By the way, when you ride in a S/W car, you will notice less wind noise at speed due to lack of a visor!
Del in NE Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:03 PM   #6
Mitch//pa
BANNED

No you do not need to disconnect. a stock A has no draw
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:05 PM   #7
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaponsusmc View Post
I have two questions. first one is, are you suped to disconnect your battery after use, and why? (ok that was two questions, but I need to ask a third then).
What is a slant window? My 30' coupe has the front window that can be pushed out, is that it? (ok four questions).
You can disconnect the battery (ground cable is the best one to remove) if you want. Or use a disconnect switch in that cable and click it off after you park the car. (That's what I do.)

Some people disconnect the battery so that if you have a little current drain in the system somewhere, it won't kill your battery. Or if you forget and leave something on, like parking lights, it won't kill your battery.

Some people disconnect the battery so that a short to ground in the wiring while the car is stored will not result in an electrical fire (with drastic consequences).

It is not the swinging out windshield that makes something a slant windshield body style. Starting in the 1931 model year, some of the body styles were produced with windshield posts that were tilted back just a touch from vertical. By today's standards (or cars from the later 30s) it was not much a slant, but it was a touch.

HTH.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #8
green30coupe

I have a semi-hidden disconnect switch on the ground side that has a removable key. Its a heavy duty switch from a Caterpillar. (got it for $2 at a swap meet and it was like-new) In addition to the obvious advantage of isolating the battery that is connected to a Battery Tender when not in use, I have it so my grand children can't jump in and blow the horn or turn on the lights. Although not intended, an added plus is that it serves as a theft prevention device.
green30coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #9
Kevin in NJ

The slant window design is for two reasons (maybe more).

For safety. The straight window bodies had the windshield parallel to the rear window. This creates parallax where you can not tell if a car is in front or behind you at night.

The body also looks better. I think this is Edsel's design influence being allowed by Henry. The slant cabriolet had the windshield and rear window angled for style.

Taking the battery off is basic safety. I even do it on my 65 Mustang so there is no chance of any shorts. I take the cable off. You have to be careful as low cost disconnects are known to melt with start current. The kind that just screw down on a bracket attached to the battery will do this.
A stock A with a contact point type cutout can stick closed and cook the generator. A single wire alternator can have a slight current back through the regulator which will discharge the battery during longer storage.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:03 PM   #10
Marco Tahtaras

I've never disconnected a battery except to change it or work on an electrical system. Some folks just aren't at ease with anything electrical. Others experience a problem and never understand the cause so they feel the need for "insurance".
Old 02-10-2013, 10:21 PM   #11
columbiA

I use to have a heavy duty "Cat"disconnect switch on the ground side on my coupe.One day it wouldnt turn over-the switch had an open circuit on the "on" side.I did away with it & installed a 30 amp breaker beside the starter switch & no problems.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:44 PM   #12
ctvpa

Well I have a disconnect, and it fits neatly with a bracket available at any A parts place. I know they are not original, but a lot of thing arn't.

My story, I have had the car since 1975. One day I came out and the dash was burned, soot all over. The wire to my dash light had broken and at some time during the night and burned the whole cable to the dash. Rember these lines ar in direct contact with the gas tank, and the dash has a glass window that may crack with heat pouring gas onto the fire.

Next, if I am out with it, and I consider I have a problem, (smell smoke) I can cut the power in 15 seconds. Preventing further damage. The other people who answered will get to watch it keep burning. Think of how long, even at best, will it take you to get to the battery and cut the power. All the time, it can be getting worse.

The cars are 85 years old, things short. Just last week a member of the club came out to see his horn all burnt and distorted. It's 85 years old and it shorted.

Do you buy insurance? Well a battery disconnect is cheap insurance. And add a fuse.
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:45 PM   #13
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctvpa View Post
Next, if I am out with it, and I consider I have a problem, (smell smoke) I can cut the power in 15 seconds. Preventing further damage. The other people who answered will get to watch it keep burning. Think of how long, even at best, will it take you to get to the battery and cut the power. All the time, it can be getting worse.

The cars are 85 years old, things short. Just last week a member of the club came out to see his horn all burnt and distorted. It's 85 years old and it shorted.

Do you buy insurance? Well a battery disconnect is cheap insurance. And add a fuse.
I'll bet the wiring was not 85 years old in either case. Did anyone determine the cause of either short? If anyone did then it could educate others near you what NOT to do or have. If you don't know the answers then yes, it's wise to protect yourself from the unknown. That's exactly what many folks do. Also I believe someone noted that the common fuse block would have protected the cars in both cases.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:04 AM   #14
quickchange

I never allow a vehicle to park in my garage unless battery is disconnected, mine or custmers, either by removal on cable or with a switch , Just recently in Newhall CA two A,s desroyed by fire through one having an electrical fault, not too mention the building & all the speed gear plus plus plus, Sure it was a custmers vehicle but for a few $$$$ why take the risk ?? Many thousands of $$$,s damage, Plus two less A,s.I am not prepared to take the risk, But then some folk don,t even carry insurance, But are 1st too cry & beg for help after the fire, Sorry its a kill switch for me, Derek in sunny warm NZ .
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:14 AM   #15
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickchange View Post
I never allow a vehicle to park in my garage unless battery is disconnected, mine or custmers, either by removal on cable or with a switch , Just recently in Newhall CA two A,s desroyed by fire through one having an electrical fault, not too mention the building & all the speed gear plus plus plus, Sure it was a custmers vehicle but for a few $$$$ why take the risk ?? Many thousands of $$$,s damage, Plus two less A,s.I am not prepared to take the risk, But then some folk don,t even carry insurance, But are 1st too cry & beg for help after the fire, Sorry its a kill switch for me, Derek in sunny warm NZ .
When you are dealing with customers cars you are in fact dealing with an "unknown" in every case. Your choice is a wise one. My cars have never fit into that category. Along the lines of what I mentioned previously, if you don't know (and some never will) then take precautions. We all must manage within our comfort zone and knowledge. To do otherwise is simply foolish.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:48 AM   #16
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaponsusmc View Post
I have two questions. first one is, are you supposed to disconnect your battery after use, and why?

Nothing in the owners manual about doing that, but as you read some do your choice.
(ok that was two questions, but I need to ask a third then).

The slant window vehicles came out at then end of production. I have found the lights at night to be a distraction in my straight windshield car but I also think the S/W car looks like something is missing over the windshield.

And no, there are no stupid questions here!!!
Old 02-11-2013, 01:53 AM   #17
H. L. Chauvin

"Keyed" Battery Disconnect Anywhere In the U.S. -- Not a Bad Idea Today -- Even Moreso Tomorrow:

In the 1950's, on my 1930 coupe, instead of a keyed ignition switch, I had a push-pull toggle switch for an ignition switch, accompanied with non- locking vehicle doors, which I parked daily on a ferry landing, crossed the ferry, & attended high school, & never even thought about getting my only car stolen -- we did not lock doors on our residences back then either when "all" U. S. citizans were gainfully employed in the then proud American work force.

Since the detrimental Government changes in the 1960's, until today, with the current ever increasing crime rate, & with our jails & prisons overloaded with increasing numbers of "idle", able-bodied non-working welfare & food stamp recipients, I presently have a Model A keyed ignition switch in lieu of a push-pull toggle switch; Model A door locks to lock my investment; plus a "keyed" battery disconnect switch, hoping that these measures will make my Model A just a little more difficult to "try" to steal so that these honorable Government entitlement citizens cannot sell my Model A or parts, to purchase more drugs when their multiple welfare & multiple food stamp debit card swapping money runs out.

Also, many are aware that "intelligent'" dogs on your property are usually a wonderful deterrent to maintain a certain degree of security. Just had to include dogs!
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:35 AM   #18
Tom Wesenberg

Right on H.L.

From the frozen wasteland of liberal loonies.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #19
MrTube

If you feel you need to disconnect a battery for safety then you need to fix your car. If its not safe to sit still, then its not safe to roll down the road.

Seriously, think about it. Do you really want to risk shorting that lead acid battery that sits below your feet while you're driving? I know I don't.

If the 80+ year old wiring is unsafe due to age or cracking insulation then replace it. There are plenty of suppliers of new wiring harnesses that work just fine and are affordable.
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #20
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
"Keyed" Battery Disconnect Anywhere In the U.S. -- Not a Bad Idea Today -- Even Moreso Tomorrow:

..... plus a "keyed" battery disconnect switch, hoping that these measures will make my Model A just a little more difficult to "try" to steal so that these honorable Government entitlement citizens cannot sell my Model A or parts, to purchase more drugs when their multiple welfare & multiple food stamp debit card swapping money runs out.
Every Model A I've heard of being stolen over the last 25 years was in or on a trailer and the trailer was stolen. In present times the only folks that could steel a Model A are those that own or have owned one in recent decades. Nobody else can even get one started!