Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-06-2011, 07:09 AM   #41
ratamahata

Default Re: Model A Huckster Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincorley View Post
New to the site and Model A's, I am bringing a 1930 Huckster back to life from being in a shed for 10 yrs.
Welcome to the Ford barn Captaincorley do you have more pics of your huckster? Thank´s
ratamahata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:42 AM   #42
TimM

I was wondering if there is any way to tell when a Huckster body was built and, if so, by who? I've read some of the posts here and they know what company built theirs and have some great history of the company, but how can you tell? Did original companies leave any type of marking or tag on the body? Can one look at certain features or parts and make a determination from that?

In looking at the photos here and on the web in general, it appears as though it might have been a free for all! Many design features appear to be in common, but no real "standard" seems to have been in place.

My Huckster came from Hawaii where it was used in the movie, but I have wondered if it was "built" specifically for that and was just cobbled together then, or if was a period body. It has several "unique" features about, such as the wooden windshield frame which I don't see on very many. Tends to make me think it was more of a prop than an original car. Still love to own and drive it, just wondering about its "upbringing"

Tim
TimM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:05 PM   #43
PetesPonies

Anyone have pics of a huckster pickup??
Old 07-31-2011, 10:43 PM   #44
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimM View Post
I was wondering if there is any way to tell when a Huckster body was built and, if so, by who? I've read some of the posts here and they know what company built theirs and have some great history of the company, but how can you tell? Did original companies leave any type of marking or tag on the body? Can one look at certain features or parts and make a determination from that?

In looking at the photos here and on the web in general, it appears as though it might have been a free for all! Many design features appear to be in common, but no real "standard" seems to have been in place.

My Huckster came from Hawaii where it was used in the movie, but I have wondered if it was "built" specifically for that and was just cobbled together then, or if was a period body. It has several "unique" features about, such as the wooden windshield frame which I don't see on very many. Tends to make me think it was more of a prop than an original car. Still love to own and drive it, just wondering about its "upbringing"

Tim
I am no expert on this subject but I don't know of any way you could tell when a huckster body was built. In the early days (1929-31) someone would buy the Model A chassis and then build a huckster body on it. York-Hoover was one company that did this but just about anyone could buy the chassis and do their own thing. There may have been other companies also that built the huckster bodies that I am not aware of.

So this being said, you could find any number of ways people or companies would have attached the bodies to the chassis. The one we have is suppose to be patterned after the York-Hoover body and it attaches to the metal windshield window frame. I have seen pictures of ones that have wood around the windshield and a lot of other different "styles" of hucksters. They were build like now days when someone buys a Ford or whatever chassis and mounts a motor home on it but I think there were a number of people in those days, that did this.

If anyone knows more of the huckster history than I do (which I know very little) please post it. I would like to get more information about the history of hucksters.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:51 PM   #45
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesPonies View Post
I am not an expert on this subject but the question I have is what is the difference between a huckster and a huckster pickup. Hucksters are like a pick up in that you can haul things in the back with a top over it and side curtains on it. Maybe a person considers a huckster pickup a pickup that has a top built over it??? Guess I don't know the difference.

This is our huckster.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:41 AM   #46
PetesPonies

Well I guess I'm wrong in using the term Huckster. Possibly its just considered a woodie. What I like is the wood cab, but back to metal bed.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:53 AM   #47
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Well I guess I'm wrong in using the term Huckster. Possibly its just considered a woodie. What I like is the wood cab, but back to metal bed.

I don't recall seeing one like this before, but I like it too.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:30 AM   #48
Elcastor

It seems like it would have been cheaper, and easier, to just buy a cab to put on it instead of building one out of wood. That said, I too like it. Very nice looking.
Elcastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:33 PM   #49
'29wagon

WoW ! very nice.
'29wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:05 PM   #50
PetesPonies

Its definitely a cool piece. I would like to see other pics if anyone has something similar.

Here's the front view:

Old 08-01-2011, 03:55 PM   #51
Tarheel

Here is a photo of one that I copied from the Internet awhile back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Woody Pick-up.jpg (83.0 KB, 298 views)

Last edited by Tarheel; 08-01-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:21 PM   #52
Fred K-OR

Yes very nice.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:57 PM   #53
Fred K-OR

Quote:
This may be what you had in mind??? Found it in Hemmings classifieds.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:09 PM   #54
PetesPonies

Actually what I had in mind was what my picture shows. Its the only one like that I have seen and wondered if anyone else had seen some?? I was just wrong on what to call it I guess?????
Old 08-12-2011, 10:49 PM   #55
PetesPonies

anyone else?
Old 10-22-2011, 09:10 AM   #56
mjw

I am going to revive the thread with my Huckster project.

I sold the roadster body so I could concentrate on the unfinished Huckster that I got with the Roadster from the estate of my friend Rich.

Rich built two of these in the 70s or 80s using parts of an old Huckster as a template/guide. One was sold to a friend or Club member and may be still out there. The other he kept as his own but did not finish it. I have all the original parts and drawings he made of the hardware.

I have put more pictures in an Album under my user name.

As you see this is a closed cab with wood frame doors with stamped metal skins and roll up windows. You may not notice right away but there are four hinges on the door not three as most have and because of the wood cowl I am assuming it is a 28/29. Right now it is sitting on the 30/31 rolling chassis from the Roadster body was on.

I will be posting more photos in my Album as I go through all the original parts and the hardware.

If anyone has any info on what this is a replica of I would appreciate it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0391.JPG (58.0 KB, 271 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0395.JPG (47.3 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0396.JPG (72.3 KB, 275 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0397.JPG (74.1 KB, 291 views)
mjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #57
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw View Post

I sold the roadster body so I could concentrate on the unfinished Huckster that I got with the Roadster from the estate of my friend Rich.

Rich built two of these in the 70s or 80s using parts of an old Huckster as a template/guide. One was sold to a friend or Club member and may be still out there. The other he kept as his own but did not finish it. I have all the original parts and drawings he made of the hardware.

As you see this is a closed cab with wood frame doors with stamped metal skins and roll up windows. You may not notice right away but there are four hinges on the door not three as most have and because of the wood cowl I am assuming it is a 28/29. Right now it is sitting on the 30/31 rolling chassis from the Roadster body was on.

I will be posting more photos in my Album as I go through all the original parts and the hardware.

Looks like a great project.

I don't know what your body is a replica of but it does look like some huckster pictures I have noticed in the past of hucksters that were built in the 30's and were painted green. But it is hard to tell.

From what I have found out so far, it seems like there were a number of "huckster" type bodies made back in the Model A days. A number of companies made them after getting their chassis from Ford. The huckster body I have, is suppose to be a replica of one made by York-Hoover company. I have found pictures that look like the body I have but they were on Chev (can't mentioned that word here) chassis. So don't know if my huckster is a "true" Model A type.

Good luck with your project. Keep the pictures coming.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:59 PM   #58
PetesPonies

Cool pics. So I could use the plans for that Huckster and build only enough to make a pick-up cab. I REALLY WANT TO DO THAT.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:12 AM   #59
[email protected]

Here is a link to a photo album of building my huckster out of some spare parts I accumulated over the years. It was built from Red Oak from some of my own trees that I harvested from my lot when I built my house. It is titled as a 1928 but has 30 wheels and has 33 rear fenders.

I have the most fun with this vehicle over my other Model A's. It is a summer weather truck with no side windows. Pull the pins from the door hinges and the doors come off. The rear window also comes out with the removal of four eye bolts. I haul different items for different parades such as milk cans, wooden crates, bushel baskets of apples, and beer kegs. It is fun to mix it up and find something else to haul. This truck always get a lot of thumbs up. Also when I built it I took the cab inner dimensions of my 1930 coupe to comfortably fit my 6 foot plus frame.

https://picasaweb.google.com/RockFor...cksterProject#

Last edited by [email protected]; 02-12-2012 at 08:50 PM. Reason: fixed broken link
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:21 AM   #60
mjw

Found out it is a Schurmeier Whitney replica with some slight differences most likely due to Rich not having a complete body to use as a template. I have been collecting parts 28/29 parts for the cowl and picked up a Briggs cowl also with the idea of possibly using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw View Post

mjw is offline   Reply With Quote