Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-11-2020, 08:46 AM   #21
vernlee

Default Re: Juice brakes

Thanks Bruce , I had seen that article , pictures are worth a 1000 words
vernlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:31 PM   #22
CarlG

I probably would have gone that way, but when I saw all the cutting and grinding required, I opted to go the Randy Gross route with "stock" cast drums. So far I haven't been sorry for that decision, plus it was about half the cost of the MT conversion.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 12:03 AM   #23
PotvinV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernlee View Post
PotvinV8 , yeah those brakes are sweet alright , but I'm not ready to sell the farm yet to get one , about all I'm lacking at this point to have everything to finish the job is the proper Master Cylinder , it will be manual braking , so I'm told it must be a manual MC , with a small bore , dual port , any suggestions ?
You actually want a large bore master. I think the '40 master was 1 1/16" bore if memory serves me right. Standard swap for a dual master is the '67 Ford Mustang for a drum/drum setup, that's what I used. If you get lucky, it will have the residual pressure valves built into the master, so one less thing to mess with. You can stick a paper click in the port and if it feels spongey, that's the valve.

Have you figured out how you're going to actuate the master? Stock Model A pedal is set up to pull as opposed to push, which can make things interesting.

Good luck and enjoy your A!
PotvinV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 01:58 AM   #24
updraught

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWPASADENA View Post
You can purchase the reproduction "Lincoln" backing plates that are made to fit the Model A front spindles. Then you use the 40-48 Ford front hubs and drums. Everything will fit.

Just a suggestion,

Chris W.
I think you also need the specially made hubs.
http://www.bolingbrothers.com/model-...ke-conversion/
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:56 AM   #25
midgetracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotvinV8 View Post
You actually want a large bore master. I think the '40 master was 1 1/16" bore if memory serves me right. Standard swap for a dual master is the '67 Ford Mustang for a drum/drum setup, that's what I used. If you get lucky, it will have the residual pressure valves built into the master, so one less thing to mess with. You can stick a paper click in the port and if it feels spongey, that's the valve.

Have you figured out how you're going to actuate the master? Stock Model A pedal is set up to pull as opposed to push, which can make things interesting.

Good luck and enjoy your A!
What is the bore on the 67 Mustang drum/drum master cylinder? I need a 1 1/16 bore or the pedal travel is too much and the brakes go neatly to the floor. Asking at the parts store is a waste of time.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:31 AM   #26
vernlee

Potvin V8 , I have yet to figure out my MC linkage , I'm thinking of locating the battery in the trunk then welding a lever to the bottom of the brake pedal so that it is pushing instead of pulling , I see a lot of different ideas out there , shouldn't be to hard to come up a plan . ( yeah Right )
vernlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 02:32 PM   #27
Chris Haynes

My '40 master cylinder is on the passenger side of the car. Bolted on the front of the cross member and actuated by the mechanical brake crossover shaft.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 04:31 PM   #28
PotvinV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetracer View Post
What is the bore on the 67 Mustang drum/drum master cylinder? I need a 1 1/16 bore or the pedal travel is too much and the brakes go neatly to the floor. Asking at the parts store is a waste of time.
The bore on my master is 1-inch. My pedal doesn't travel halfway through its stroke before it becomes solid. You probably need to play with the pedal ratio.

I have my master mounted on the crossmember and fabricated the linkage to pull on the master cylinder. This design allowed me to control the amount the pedal traveled vs. bore stroke in the master by adjusting the pivot points and thereby changing the pedal ratio similar to a hanging pedal setup.

[IMG]1930 Ford Master cylinder and brake lines-91 by PotvinV8, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 10-12-2020, 06:46 PM   #29
midgetracer

Thank you Potvin
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:03 PM   #30
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
I'm getting tired of explaining all this stuff! 39-48 brakes fit the A spindles with a kit, we used to just use a Model A piston ring and a hard-seat for A valves to space the bearings. Yes, the backers need some slight elongation, doesn't weaken them. Afraid of cutting a slight slot in the rear backers? Gimmee a break! Are hydraulics better than mechanicals??? If not we'd be driving our Toyota's around with mechanicals, and spending a lot of time and/or money trying to keep them working right! Afraid of rust? Use silicon fluid. How many late-model cars have break failures? Not many, almost zero. Opinion from a very experienced 83 year old phart.
p.s., don't know about F-150 brakes.
Hydraulics are better than mechanical brakes because they are self equalizing. A Toyota engine is better than a model A engine. An automatic transmission is better than a model A transmission . But you won't see them in my car . For me the joy of Model A ownership is all the things that some people want to replace (as is their right). For me fiddling with the original design is like painting a moustache on the Mona Lisa- Having said that I won't compromise safety -My mechanical brakes are properly set up with original parts properly adjusted. On our mandatory annual safety test they match brake performance on modern cars .
Opinion from a less experienced 57 year old younger perhaps more idealistic phart

r
Old 10-22-2020, 12:53 AM   #31
PotvinV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Hydraulics are better than mechanical brakes because they are self equalizing.
Original Ford juice brakes were NOT self-energizing until at least 1946 when Lincoln introduced their Bendix-style hydraulic drum brake. Take a look at a '39-40 backing plate and you'll see that the lower pivot for both shoes are fixed.

Quote:
On our mandatory annual safety test they match brake performance on modern cars.
I'm calling BS on this. There's no way your Model A with mechanical brakes stops anywhere near as efficient as a modern car of equal weight equipped with 4-wheel disc brakes and ABS. That's just silly. The tires alone would improve the braking abilities many times over the stock Model A.

Show me a 60-0 brake test and then show me the third, forth, and fifth result...LOL