Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-18-2015, 03:09 PM   #61
MrTube

Default Re: How do you avoid people swarming your car when you stop?

Easy.

Switch to restoring antique refrigerators. This way, no one ever gets to see your hard work because it's stuck in the kitchen!

Sorry, I started realizing this when bringing home another unit to restore and a guy driving a model B saw it in the back of the truck and we started talking about it. Kinda depressed me actually.
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 04:06 PM   #62
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
I blame this uncivil behavior on the glut of 'reality' TV shows that are all about flipping old cars for profit.
Thank you. Glad someone else sees this too. I feel that those shows have done a lot of harm to the old car hobby. The emphasis is always on 'Look at the profit I made.' And it's not as easy as those guys make it look.

Naw, the Flippers get REAL old tired of their nonsense.

Jembow..... NICE three window Coupe in your avatar in post #56! The '35 and '36 three windows are about the nicest looking early V-8's out there!

Last edited by Jeff/Illinois; 09-18-2015 at 04:27 PM.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 04:18 PM   #63
Cool Hand Lurker

I think people who ask 'how much' don't care about your personal finances, they are just curious. I usually give them a range of two or three thousand in the ballpark and they are satisfied. And it might give them the idea that maybe they could afford one and then another Model A is saved from the street rodders.... for awhile....

When we go down the street EVERYBODY stops what they are doing and looks and smiles, no matter what their age. They ask for the horn so their kids can hear it. If the situation is right I let them sit inside and may even give them a ride. And they DON'T CARE if it is a 500 point car or just an 85 year old one. I hope I am around long enough to tell them when it is a 100 year old car!
When I get out of the car I am usually in a good mood. A really good mood. Life is good.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 04:23 PM   #64
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Lurker View Post
I think people who ask 'how much' don't care about your personal finances, they are just curious. I usually give them a range of two or three thousand in the ballpark and they are satisfied. And it might give them the idea that maybe they could afford one and then another Model A is saved from the street rodders.... for awhile....

When we go down the street EVERYBODY stops what they are doing and looks and smiles, no matter what their age. They ask for the horn so their kids can hear it. If the situation is right I let them sit inside and may even give them a ride. And they DON'T CARE if it is a 500 point car or just an 85 year old one. I hope I am around long enough to tell them when it is a 100 year old car!
When I get out of the car I am usually in a good mood. A really good mood. Life is good.
We agree in every regard! Yes life is good when you can bring joy and smiles to everyone including yourself ! Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 09-18-2015 at 05:01 PM.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 04:29 PM   #65
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Lurker View Post
Life is good.
Yeah good and COLD by the looks of your avatar
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 05:09 PM   #66
BILL WILLIAMSON

Some criticize TV shows for "flipping" cars, but how many of us have done the SAME thing?
Bill W.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:41 PM   #67
CarlG

I was once looking for a 10+ year old Explorer. Saw one with a sign on it, wrote the number down and called a couple days later when I had the chance. "Sorry, it has already been sold." came the reply.

Continued looking, found one in the newspaper a week or so later. Went to look at it. Same @#$@ car as I had looked at the week before. Different seller this time.

He owned it a week, probably gave it a good cleaning and "flipped" it for $800 profit.

Yes, I bought it. Was still a good deal, just not as good a deal if I had not procrastinated calling in the first place.

That's my "flip" story, and I'm sticking to it!
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 05:47 PM   #68
John Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by stouchton View Post
I find it amusing that I get more attention at the local gas station than at the car shows!

But last night was absolutely the best. Was at a car show answering the usual questions. A lady walked up with the help of a cane - she looked like she was easily over 100 - she could not talk well, she tried but could not say what she wanted too - she merely pointed at the car and cried. Then with a smile and a whispered "thank you" she left.

That was the absolute best time I had showing off the car.
When I see an elderly lady looking at my roadster I always ask her if she ever did anything in the rumble seat. Get a lot of sly smiles.
John Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:42 PM   #69
stewwolfe

Default How do you avoid people swarming your car when you stop?

I have many people ask me if they can take a picture of whichever car I'm driving that day. I love to tell them that I can't allow that, but if they would sit in the driver's seat I would be happy to take their picture. Most people can't believe that I would let them get in the car. I tell them that the majority of the fun in owning it is sharing it with others,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2015, 07:17 PM   #70
Franchise_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
When I got into Model A’s I had no idea how attracted people were to these little cars/trucks. I’m a people person so I don’t mind folks swarming the car when I stop and get out… but sometimes it does get old. Mine is a daily driver when the weather allows. I may put close to 10k miles on it by years end. There are times when I’m climbing out of the car and I see people moving in with the regular questions when I duck to the side and make an escape. I did this the other day and left my wife to take the questions and stories. She was rather overwhelmed by it all as I sat back 50 feet undercover and watched in amusement.
Do you ever get tired of the same stories and questions? How do you avoid it without being rude?
I guess you should be glad that people are interested and want to talk about it.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:36 PM   #71
dumb person

5 rotten onions and a dead possum in a flax or cheesecloth bag. Tie under the muffler with some wire. Keeps everyone except the determined and very curious away.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:22 PM   #72
ian Simpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian Simpson View Post
I try to follow all of the commandments except number 9. My wife and I will take as much time as needed to answer any and all questions, regardless as to how often we hear them.

It is part of the responsibility of owning museum pieces.
I was a little hurried in my first response and would like to add a little more filler. Firstly, the car door is always opened to inquisitors, those with the temerity to ask are always allowed to sit in. Youngsters are INVITED to sit in.

We have learnt so much and made so many friends as Bill W. states that we would not dream of foreshortening any conversation about any of our collectors, regardless of the circumstances.

It never ceases to amaze me how many older ladies lost something of value on the back seat of a Tudor!
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:40 PM   #73
JupiterBandit

I never had that happen. I have a 30 roadster and recently had a 31 roadster and people honk and wave or say nice car but that is rare. Never been swarmed and I live in Holden Ma
JupiterBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:34 AM   #74
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

For me there is only one reason to cut people short and leave the area and that is because i'm on the way to a show. I then invite them to come on by and/or give them the clubs business card.

In the years that I have owned my car I have never gotten "tired" of answering questions.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:36 AM   #75
Brendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barber31 View Post
Actually, I feel proud that I put so much hard work into building it, it made somebody happy enough to strike up a conversation with a stranger. To me that makes me happy. And I feel Blessed that I'm fortunate enough to have the vehicle to begin with. The only 2 ones that bother me are the guys who start asking financial questions. "How much did you pay" " how much is it worth" "how much have you spent on it". Asking about my personal finances is pretty rude and very common for me unfortunately. The other is the guy who feels the need to list his vast collection of valuable cars that he once had but no longer does for whatever reason. I never know what to say to that. Like, aww... Sorry you don't have them anymore but you can watch me drive mine. Awkward.
I had a guy ask me financial questions. I asked him what is your wife's bra size? that ended the conversation

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:13 AM   #76
JD 1931

First question they ask is "what years is it". I have had the A for many years and still enjoy the response I receive from the people and all the thumbs up, had an old coupe once standing by the rumble seat and I overheard them saying and laughing about what they did in that seat on there A.....
JD 1931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:26 AM   #77
Tinbasher

Buy A Chev. Always interest in Model A's. When I'm working on my car with the garage door open people will stop by and what to see what's going on. Ask questions and have a good day. There's just something about these cars.

John Poole
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 01:12 PM   #78
rocket1

Fly swatter!
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 01:16 PM   #79
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Keep them in your driveway where it is safe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (69.7 KB, 52 views)
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:30 PM   #80
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V4F View Post
very bad job .

best I can say , don't stop !
Obviously some doctors are better than others, same as model A mechanics! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote