Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-22-2017, 07:12 PM   #1
Ianruth123

Default First barn find

So I'm be had quit a few projects. Nothing older than a 64 though. So, I finally made the plunge. I've looked for a long time and have always wanted to, but I got a deal I couldn't pass up. I now own a 1946 Mercury 8 Town sedan. The body is in great shape, the interior is rotted, and the engine is non existent. But it cost me a whopping 600. So now I need to to start putting things together. I've never worked on a flathead, and I don't know where to start. (Especially since it isn't there). I also rather not buy a turn key crate engine. I'd like to learn. So, any tips, advice, or hints for my new toy are greatly appreciated. IMG_0864.jpg

IMG_0860.jpg

IMG_0859.jpg

IMG_0858.jpg

IMG_0857.jpg

IMG_0856.jpg

IMG_0855.jpg
Ianruth123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:08 PM   #2
jagnweiner

Default Re: First barn find

From one Mercury owner to another, welcome!

'47 Mercury Convertible
'25 Dodge Bros. Touring Car
'63 MG Midget
jagnweiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:13 PM   #3
tubman

Looks like a good start! They even saved you the trouble of having to pull the old engine out. I see the transmission is still there, though. Flatheads are a little more expensive than the usual alternative, but you got a good enough deal to more than make up the difference. A 59 series engine would be nice, but I wouldn't pass if a good deal on a later flathead came along. Goof luck.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:59 PM   #4
Clem Clement

Congrats. I love old Mercs
clem
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:33 AM   #5
HDowse

And wait until you hear those horns fire off, sounds like a steamship coming into the dock. Good luck with your project.
HDowse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:35 AM   #6
corvette8n

Welcome to the barn, great project, keep us in the loop as you progress with your Merc.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:30 AM   #7
chap52

Welcome aboard, great find. Use the tools like "swap meet" and "search" to track down both the parts and the info you will certainly be needing. Remember no question is a dumb one. Ask, process and go for it always remembering that it is "your car" so do it up the way you want it. Enjoy the adventure.
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:01 AM   #8
Capt Kirk

For me, the first thing I do when taking on a project like this is to first decide what it is that you want and what you want the final result to be. Next, get a pretty good idea of what the cost will be to achieve that result...when you get that number, add 15%. Make sure that number is within your budget and make sure you have the wherewithal to see the project to completion. Too many times, people get started on projects only later to find that they didn't have the money to complete or they loose interest. If this were mine, I'd start with the hunt for an engine, I'd open up the trans and rebuild if necessary...get the car mechanically sound.
Empty wallet
Capt Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:51 AM   #9
Ol' Ron

I'd like to know your location. Here on the north east, we have a few places where you can get a reasonably stock engine for a reasonaable price to start with. He's been building these engines for the past 60 years and there all still running.
Yes, welcome to the barn.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:47 AM   #10
Ianruth123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
I'd like to know your location. Here on the north east, we have a few places where you can get a reasonably stock engine for a reasonaable price to start with. He's been building these engines for the past 60 years and there all still running.
Yes, welcome to the barn.
Im in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Ianruth123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:19 AM   #11
rotorwrench

The 42 through 46 Mercury cars were all very similar. Mercury cars are longer than the Ford cars from the firewall forward for their increased wheelbase. Thankfully, many parts cross over between Fords & Mercurys in the mechanical stuff. Looking for a complete 59 series flathead engine assembly from 1946 through 48 may take a while but you can scrounge up the parts separately from various sources. You are going to have to get some information to find out what you are missing there. As Tubman mentioned, a later 8BA series engines from 1948 (trucks only) and 1949 through 53 can be made to work with a stamped steel half bell housing and the right clutch & flywheel (F1 pickup 10-inch Long type or 1949 through early 51 Mercury 10-inch Borg & Beck type).
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:57 AM   #12
jagnweiner

Can any of our photo gurus here on the site blow the photos up? I'd be interested in seeing them a little bigger.

'47 Mercury Convertible
'25 Dodge Bros. Touring Car
'63 MG Midget
jagnweiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:07 PM   #13
markdtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Kirk View Post
For me, the first thing I do when taking on a project like this is to first decide what it is that you want and what you want the final result to be. Next, get a pretty good idea of what the cost will be to achieve that result...when you get that number, add 15%. Make sure that number is within your budget and make sure you have the wherewithal to see the project to completion. Too many times, people get started on projects only later to find that they didn't have the money to complete or they loose interest. If this were mine, I'd start with the hunt for an engine, I'd open up the trans and rebuild if necessary...get the car mechanically sound.
I agree but I don't think 15% is enough. I would add 100% for a realistic budget, at least add 50%. So many little things you find when you get into a project that add up.
markdtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:31 PM   #14
Graeme / New Zealand

I love these big old fordoor Mercs and Fords. Fordoors were the staple in NZ for US sourced cars.. known as "houses" here as you can bloody well near live in them. You have the basis for a real nice car. When i bought my first v8 in 1979 I bought it for the looks, I always liked the look of old fords over other stuff, I knew nothing about them mechanically, in fact I nearly bought a 46 ford b/coupe with a 283 SBC in it (glad I didn't). I eventually got a stock 47 cpe complete with flatty, I taught myself about them and hung around with the right people. As others have said no question here is stupid, there's a font of knowlegable folk so if you strike a problem someone is bound to have the answer. I've just finished restoring the 48 club cpe you see in my avatar, I would have been lost without their help. Oh also..welcome to the Barn

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"

Last edited by Graeme / New Zealand; 03-23-2017 at 12:37 PM.
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:51 PM   #15
Mike in AZ

Welcome to the 'Barn.....nice first flathead powered car....took the engine and left the battery....lol.....what are you plans?.....or what would you like to end up with?....fully restored, etc??.....have fun....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 01:24 PM   #16
al pa.

review swap meet
al pa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:19 PM   #17
Dutchwonder

I like the happy looking grills on them!