Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-10-2016, 02:08 AM   #21
maxandmickey

Default Re: It is with great sadness I must inform all of you of the passing of Doc

very sad news,sorry to hear this.
maxandmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:23 PM   #22
Gary Karr

Default Re: It is with great sadness I must inform all of you of the passing of Doc

Sadly, those of us that knew Doc knew that he was slipping away quickly over the last year. He has been such a giant in our hobby and a coach to so many of us that strive to do authentic restorations on Model As. I first met Doc about 25 years ago at Hershey. and always visited his space first when I got on the field. He always had great stuff and willing to answer any questions. He was one of my coaches when I restored my '29 Tudor for fine point and up until minutes before judging began, he would continue to give me pointers.
Doc really taught me how to scrounge at swap meets. He and I would go off shopping together at Hershey and after about two rows would split up as he had his head buried in a box of old rusty parts.
Doc's space at Hershey was always a place to congregate and see old friends and meet new people. Wednesday evening brat fries were always one of the best social times of the week. Those carried on to MARC National Meets as well.
I have for the past year and will forever miss the 0530 wakeup calls from Doc, asking me what's happening on the "left coast?" He was never shy about talking freely about his political views with anyone, whether you solicited them or not!
We will all miss Doc. I went through a box of parts this morning and saw many of his tags attached with notes on the correct applications or months the part is used. I'll miss that.
We have all lost so many Model A friends lately. It just make me think that I need to attend as many National Meets and swap meets to see friend as we never know when that might be our last. I am attaching a couple of pictures of Doc and others that we remember from his brat fries and past MARC National Meets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brasil parade,party,hershey cars 024.jpg (61.1 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg 2008-06-28 Dallas 015.jpg (60.3 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg 2008-06-28 Dallas 014.jpg (71.7 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg 2008-06-28 Dallas 019.jpg (43.9 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg 2008-06-28 Dallas 017.jpg (51.8 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg 2008-06-28 Dallas 070.jpg (45.9 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg 2008-06-28 Dallas 071.jpg (48.7 KB, 99 views)
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:12 PM   #23
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Great pics gary,., Would appreciate if everyone would share their memories of doc for an article please.......
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:27 PM   #24
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmaron View Post
I have just received notice of the passing of Hans (DOC) Kalinka last night., This hobby has truly lost one of the great legends. A man so dedicated to this hobby, to early cars, to restoration to helping everyone and anyone. So much has been learned about Model A's from him and his research that many of us with E28 would never have known. I am honored to have been able to be his friend. We mourn the loss of a wonderful man today from our hobby, may his spirt be remembered and may he rest in peace. Our sincere condolences to Alice and his entire family...
You might want to dedicate a seperate post to this gentleman. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:35 PM   #25
henry's 31

We have lost another giant in the Model A Hobby. My deepest sympathy to the family. We have all benefit from his great attention to what was original in our Model A's. It would be great if any of the 2 National Organizations would gather all his writtings and perhaps publish a book with all of his information. May he rest in peace.

Last edited by henry's 31; 07-12-2016 at 03:56 PM.
henry's 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:26 PM   #26
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

A loss like this has a tremendous negative affect on our hobby. His knowledge can never be replaced. My condolences to his family and I fiends. Rest in peace brother. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:11 PM   #27
phonconn

Ah doc the AR KING. Hows that grab you brother?! Wow he was my best friend in the hobby and we talked a few times a week about projects we were both working on together as well as those we were working on apart.
My memories of the importance of the swap meet at the National meets and Doc's remarks about the thousands of mini seminars that took place daily between the vendor and restorer. We did hubcaps together(mostly) and alas most are now misplaced. His article on amp meters and the mirid of photos taken and amp meters we took apart by the dozens to catch the very best.
Project after project. It was my plan to see him this next month on my trip to see Bill Sturm and had just gotten the phone number to the home he was in as he was not answering his cell phone any longer.
I can remember a call when he first arrived. He stated in his usual authoritative voice, "Bixby if you have a choice of going into a home or NOT, choose NOT." I know he was not happy in his surroundings but he knew it was a necessary step in life's path. We did share one thing that is most encouraging and that is he was a Born Again Christian and although we both probably have disappointed some folks out there we are forgiven.

My best story is from 25 years ago and his Brat fry at Iola. After enjoying some adult beverages and a few brats, bid all a good night and went on to sleep in the back of a truck bed with a camper shell on. Around 2-3 AM my stomach began rolling and as I made my way to the Johnny on the spot it was most evident that I wasn't going to make it. I will let the rest go to your imagination but suffice it to say I crawled back minus my jeans, socks, and underwear.
One year almost to the day I was again invited to the Brat fry and again enjoyed the evening with fellow enthusiasts. A few adult beverages and a few brats and this time was with my wife and we had put a tent up at Doc's spot. Around 2-3 in the morning stomach began rolling as from past experience I knew it was a mistake to even try to make the Johnny on the spot some distance from the swap spot. I will not go into detail but I will say that a terrible accident did occur just outside of the tent and my, then wife reminded me of the horrors she encountered that night.
One year later and again the Doc Brat fry and a large crowd was invited as was customary. Roy Nelson, Gary Johnson, John and Jackie Alinder, Lee Votrabek, Mary Joe and Richard, and finally come dragging in after we had begun was Dave Cella carrying a package of hot dogs. My remark to him was ?Why the Hot Dogs? . Dave remarked cause Doc's Brats give me the shits. DING DING DING the light bulb finally went off and it some three years later was evident that my past stomach ailments had a root cause in Doc's Brats. They were from a local butcher he knew and I think that after a few days in an ice cooler that they just didn't survive very well.

Ah the warm memories and the National Meets sharing flee market spots next to each other was a real blessing for me and to have someone that had so much passion for the hobby and the encouragement he gave me to become a swap meet vendor at the National meets and fuel my passion as well. I am sure we will all miss the Doc but mostly in the hobby me as we did talk for hours in a week, week in and week out. Back in the day of toll calls I bet I spent a couple thousand dollars a year in long distance with Doc and it was all worth every single cent.

Look me up next time we are at a swap meet and I will tell of you the "poop in a box" story and we can have a good laugh about fond memories of our good ole friend Hans Kalinka. Bye Doc. See ya in a few years. Dan B
phonconn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:27 PM   #28
Steve Plucker
BANNED

I met Doc in 1984 at the MAFCA Portland Meet with Fred Gooding. Comunicated with him frequently over the years. Will miss him and his Model A/AA Ford thoughts greatly.

Rest In Peace Doc.

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 08-05-2016 at 04:44 AM.
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 03:30 PM   #29
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

No better stories than a DOC Story for sure!!! I loved when he used his ropes as belts!!
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:08 PM   #30
Carb Guy

Sad news about Doc's passing. Talked to Doc many times at Iola and the Milwaukee swap meets, great person to know. Condolences to the famlly, rest in peace Doc.
Carb Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 03:27 AM   #31
Bick in New Zealand

It is with great sadness that I read of Doc's passing. As has been stated by others, he was an inspiration to many, myself included. I always looked forward to reading his articles in MARC News, and particularly those pertaining to the 'early birds'. When I obtained the remains of *CA67 * I wrote a number of letters to Doc, who always relied promptly with his advice and opinions. When I finally got to meet him at Hershey it was great to be able to finally meet him and share photos of various parts of the project.

Model A's don't leak oil they just mark their territory.
Bick in New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:37 PM   #32
swo4rd

I join those who will miss him. I met Doc a mere six years ago at Hershey. His processes for acquiring knowledge about automotive history are instructional...his spirit will live on in those works...he spent hours of time sharing that knowledge which became encyclopedic...fortunately published in his "on the hill" notes. I guess I'll have to wait till the hereafter to get that set of Fine Point Schraeders...
Wherever that is, I will meet you at your swap tables on the chocolate fields, dear friend.

Last edited by swo4rd; 08-04-2016 at 05:38 PM. Reason: grammar
swo4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:52 PM   #33
Gary Karr

I think I might have your set of fine point Schraders! Why wait till the hereafter?
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote