Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-06-2020, 12:15 PM   #1
bpaupst

Default 1936 Ford Pickup - Commercial vs Passenger

Hi all,
Was looking to get some clarifications on the differences and similarities between the 1936 Ford Passenger Pickup and Commercial Pickup. Are the cabs the same? The front fenders are different, but is the only difference the wheel opening size on the exterior? Is the rest of the front end the same? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
bpaupst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 12:22 PM   #2
frnkeore

Default Re: 1936 Ford Pickup - Commercial vs Passenger

The PU, is a commercial vehicle, all of them. They use the basic car frame and running gear though.

The only other commercial size, was the 1 1/2 ton truck. It used the same cab, hood and grill as the PU but, fenders and running boards are different.
'54 Ford Tudor Mainline
frnkeore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 12:57 PM   #3
bpaupst

Thanks!, that's a big relief as I bought the body and fenders from a commercial truck while building a passenger truck. Luckily everything is good but the fenders.
Old 11-06-2020, 01:05 PM   #4
DavidG

As the man said, there's no such thing as a "passenger" pickup. They were all commercial vehicles. Big trucks were not referred to as "commercial" trucks, just "trucks". The distinction was the length of their chassis wheelbases.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 01:12 PM   #5
bpaupst

Understood!, that's a bad habit ill have to kick. So to clarify, I bought a 1 &1/2 ton pickup body but have the truck frame. Thanks for your help. There's a lot to learn and not nearly as much information out there about these trucks.
Old 11-06-2020, 06:55 PM   #6
alanwoodieman

you purchased a 1 1/2 ton truck (not a pick up)??? or do you have a commercial frames or a truck frame that you are building? I am lost as to what you are asking
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 07:36 PM   #7
DavidG

Maybe it would help if you just tell us what the wheelbase is of what you are working on. If it is not 112" (the commercial chassis), but either 131 1/2" or 157" (the two then-available truck chassis) then we'll all be on the same page.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 09:12 AM   #8
bpaupst

Haha alright, here’s the story. I bought the cab and forward of the body of what I thought was a 36 pickup. I than bought a new rolling chassis for a 36 Ford pickup that’s correct to the original frame. When I started putting it together I couldn’t figure out the front fenders because they were hitting the frame where they tie in below the door. Luckily I found and “harassed” a kid that I accidentally found selling an all original 1936 Ford pickup. I bought that for the rear fenders and as a parts car depending on the condition. When I brought that home and started comparing, I realized the fenders I bought first were wrong and off the 1 and a half ton truck. So i have been trying to confirm all my theories and figure out how best to move forward. I will hopefully turn over the old flathead v8 in the coming month which will also help decide the trucks fate.
Old 11-10-2020, 10:12 AM   #9
uncle buck

It looks like we got the terminology straightened out, but could an Australian Ute be considered a passenger pickup? It kind of does fit both descriptions?
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 10:40 AM   #10
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
As the man said, there's no such thing as a "passenger" pickup.
And far from it, The Coopman would NEVER attempt to confuse matters! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 10:40 AM   #11
rotorwrench

While the cabs are likely similar between 1/2-ton commercial pickups and larger trucks, the fenders are made to fit the larger wheels and tires of the truck. The hood and grill are likely different as well. Bolt up of the smaller pickup fenders to the cab may also be different but I don't know how similar the cabs are.

The 1935 and 36 1/2-ton pickups are a lot alike and a lot of stuff interchanges. In 1937 there were a lot of changes and they are kind of a one year only design. It's not as easy to find stuff now days for these old commercials. We don't know where you are at but you must be around farm country somewhere to find so many Ford trucks in this year range.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 12:52 PM   #12
bpaupst

Haha, I'm actually just outside New York City. I guess it was just a lucky find. Ill keep measuring the front grill and hood though. it all looked the same based off of basic measurements. The front fenders are where I could find the differences. Based off everyone's great input here i was able to start figuring out what to do and am starting to research some new parts to hopefully replace the ones I mistakenly bought.

see this thread for pictures from the truck I found and bought

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...36+ford+pickup
Old 11-10-2020, 01:05 PM   #13
KiWinUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
And far from it, The Coopman would NEVER attempt to confuse matters! DD

Coopman. To confuse things even more. That’s me standing beside Hamtownal’s pickup. How on earth or where in earth did that pic come from.
Cheers
Tony
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 01:15 PM   #14
JM 35 Sedan

Coopman downloads a lot of pictures posted here on Fordbarn and probably other old car websites. I know this because I see him reposting many of my own pictures here.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 01:19 PM   #15
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiWinUS View Post
Coopman. To confuse things even more. That’s me standing beside Hamtownal’s pickup. How on earth or where in earth did that pic come from.
Cheers
Tony
Tony, I was pretty sure that was you, but are you in hamtown al's garage or did he happen to be down in your neck of the woods?

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 02:33 PM   #16
Steve in Denver

I like that '36 passenger pick up, but how was it made? Was the cowl removed from a passenger car and put onto the pick up cab? Somewhere I seem to remember seeing that that cab was actually not really a '36 as well. Anyway, looks great. Wish I had time, room and money, but don't we all!!
Steve in Denver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 03:31 PM   #17
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Coopman downloads a lot of pictures posted here on Fordbarn and probably other old car websites. I know this because I see him reposting many of my own pictures here.
Well John, if it flatters you any at all, I just download the "good stuff", or at least that which can serve as reference material for 'Barn folks seeking info. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE

Last edited by V8COOPMAN; 11-10-2020 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-10-2020, 03:45 PM   #18
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiWinUS View Post
Cheers
Tony
Ha........! How soon we forget (wait 'til ya get old like me). That picture came from a thread here on the 'Barn in July of 2010. Being my usual 'horse's ass' self, I went looking for "ANY" picture of Al's little pick-up just this morning to insert into this thread 'jokingly', and that was the first one that I ran across. The link to that thread is below to re-charge your memory! DD

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ght=hamtown+al

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 11-10-2020, 05:21 PM   #19
rotorwrench

Someone must have kept it preserved. A lot of stuff in the northeast gets pretty rusty and the 35 & 36 pickups I've seen had plenty. That one still has a lot of hard steel left on it.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 06:38 PM   #20
KiWinUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Ha........! How soon we forget (wait 'til ya get old like me). That picture came from a thread here on the 'Barn in July of 2010. Being my usual 'horse's ass' self, I went looking for "ANY" picture of Al's little pick-up just this morning to insert into this thread 'jokingly', and that was the first one that I ran across. The link to that thread is below to re-charge your memory! DD

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ght=hamtown+al

HaHa Thanks DD yes my memory is short & that awesome visit with those awesome Hamtown guys seems just a few years ago. Thanks so much for resurrecting my memories & posting all the great pics you do.
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote