Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-15-2020, 02:16 PM   #21
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso
Default Re: Ford from Holland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Concord Ca View Post
Welcome Clint, in the picture of the engine compartment, I see you have a air conditioner installed, I also have a a/c installed in my town sedan, do you use it much in the Netherlands? I see an air filter on the other side of the engine, what type of carburetor do you use?
Enjoy your car!
I think that is a picture of PalAl’s engine compartment.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 02:41 PM   #22
PalAl

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
PalAl, what kind of starter is that?
Hi katy, that starter is a 12 volt, Pro-Tork Ford Model A , High Torque Mini Starter. Nice thing is it works on the front side of the flywheel ring gear so it hits on never used gear teeth. I put AC in my car because of my being hospitialized twice with heat stroke, last year I missed out on several tours because of the heat. Now I can tour and be cool, my Wife also likes it but we keep a jacket and blanket in the car....lol. The AC requires 12 volt. For me, adding AC and switching to 12 volt has worked very well. I just touch the starter button and the engine is singing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Tork-Fo...-/113831170330
PalAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 03:06 PM   #23
PalAl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Concord Ca View Post
Welcome Clint, in the picture of the engine compartment, I see you have a air conditioner installed, I also have a a/c installed in my town sedan, do you use it much in the Netherlands? I see an air filter on the other side of the engine, what type of carburetor do you use?
Enjoy your car!
Hi Herb, I think your looking at my engine, PalAl Orangeville IL. I just completed my AC and 12 volt conversion and love it. The air cleanner you see is a K & N High Boy and is attached to a Zenith I

https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/P...earchByKeyword
Old 08-15-2020, 03:15 PM   #24
PalAl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
Welocme to teh Barn, Nice looking car.

Lots of stuff going on under the Hood. Looks like a cut down 4 blade plastic fan. Do
not recall seeing that before. Why?
Hey Closed Cab Pickup, I think your looking at my picture, PalAl Orangeville IL
That fan is 6 Blade plastic with a steel hub that I needed to for clearance when I installed the AC.
Went by the Museum the other day on the way to the "Smokin Coop" was going to stop but there seemed to be something going on and I didn't want to interfere.

Old 08-15-2020, 03:17 PM   #25
PalAl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
It's likely due to the air conditioning installation. The car has been modernized to some degree but it is still a model A.

It's good to have more folks from other parts of the world. The Ford Barn is an international forum and it shows how popular the Fords still are after 90+ years. It's a good place to get relatively quick responses.

Welcome to the forum.
Hey Roto Wrench that AC picture is my car, PalAl in Orangeville IL

Your right still a Model A
Old 08-15-2020, 06:56 PM   #26
1930-Pickup

Hi Clint. WELCOME! Great looking car.

Like Joop, I'm from the Netherlands (Delft), but I grew up mostly in Dearborn Michigan (yes, 'Ford Country').

Alex
1930-Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:09 PM   #27
Synchro909

In our Model A club of about 150 members, not one has air conditioning and summer temperatures here are into the 40s for at least a few days each year. Add to that the fact that driving a RHD Model A is much hotter work than a LHD one because the heat from the exhaust comes straight in around the steering column and pedals and up the driver's leg.
I am puzzled as to why anybody would fit air cond. It leaves me wondering how many have fitted power steering and automatic transmission too. They had hot days back in the 20's too, yet people (often with health issues) drove these cars day in and day out.
How soft have we become?
Please save the vitriol - not interested in a verbal stoush.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:56 PM   #28
PalAl

Please save the vitriol - not interested in a verbal stoush.

YUP...... I'm sure many feel the same.............
Old 08-15-2020, 11:09 PM   #29
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalAl View Post
Hey Closed Cab Pickup, I think your looking at my picture, PalAl Orangeville IL
That fan is 6 Blade plastic with a steel hub that I needed to for clearance when I installed the AC.
Went by the Museum the other day on the way to the "Smokin Coop" was going to stop but there seemed to be something going on and I didn't want to interfere.

Thanks, have not seen a 6 blade fan before other than online in the Vendors parts, the pictures in the spares online have nothing in the pictures to compare to, so I did not know the blades appear shorter.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 12:00 AM   #30
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
Thanks, have not seen a 6 blade fan before other than online in the Vendors parts, the pictures in the spares online have nothing in the pictures to compare to, so I did not know the blades appear shorter.
I'd always thought the blades looked shorter but after your comment, I went and measured them. 7" vs 8" for the original style fan.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:44 AM   #31
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalAl View Post
Hi katy, that starter is a 12 volt, Pro-Tork Ford Model A , High Torque Mini Starter. Nice thing is it works on the front side of the flywheel ring gear so it hits on never used gear teeth. I put AC in my car because of my being hospitialized twice with heat stroke, last year I missed out on several tours because of the heat. Now I can tour and be cool, my Wife also likes it but we keep a jacket and blanket in the car....lol. The AC requires 12 volt. For me, adding AC and switching to 12 volt has worked very well. I just touch the starter button and the engine is singing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Tork-Fo...-/113831170330
Thanks
Old 08-19-2020, 09:16 AM   #32
Clint's Ford

Hello everyone!

How cool that there are so many reactions! I will tell some more repair and travel stories along the way! Also very nice that I can come here with questions.

In the attachments added a photo of my grandfather (the child in the car) with his parents, they bought this Ford model A Tudor from 1929 in 1930, one of the few Dutch people from that time who could buy a new car at the time. because they had a grocery store. Where this car went is unknown, a lot happened then (The war was coming and he soon lost his wife).

Does anyone know where the A fords for the Netherlands were produced? I know there was a Ford assembly factory in Rotterdam, but it was short-lived, because henry himself said the location was way too far from the coast, and in 1933 the Ford factory was opened in Amsterdam.
There was also a Ford factory in Antwerp, but I don't know much about it, anyone more information about where the Dutch Fords are assembled / made?

Kind Regards,

Clint
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled (002).jpg (62.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled (004).jpg (37.4 KB, 22 views)
Clint's Ford is offline   Reply With Quote