Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-22-2019, 09:45 PM   #21
Youngtudor

Default Re: Non-Authentic Paint Schemes

I’m doing my Tudor in Washington blue, black firewall, Bronson yellow wheels and pinstripe. It was originally niagra and ditched blue with a grey pinstripe, too much going on for me.
Youngtudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:55 PM   #22
Railcarmover
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Concord Ca View Post
When I restored my 31 Slant T/S I chose Ford commercial colors to get a better selection of colors. Of course, you can have the car judged, but that wasn't planned any way.
My upper body color is Cherokee Gray and lower body color is French Gray and Hessian Blue pinstripe and wheels.
I've received many compliments on the car.
its a interesting point,Ford expanded commercial colors in 30/31,that could possibly be the beginning of marketing influence,Mr Fords trait was to marginalize something he was unsure of,yet give it a chance to grow..Banking and financials already taken away from him,manufacturing long gone from his control,engineering was on the precipice,Ford clung where he could..marketing was given a toe hold,a spot to bloom from,Ford commercial in 30/31 could have been the spot..or perhaps the place the ideas grew from outside of his control..still the point is dont marginalize him yet,he's still cresting from the T..but other dynamics are in play.the 'old man' is being levered..
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:59 PM   #23
whirnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinde2 View Post
I just couldn't bring myself to change the color, just to be a "correct" hobbyist.
After making sure it would go, and then stop.. with a new interior instead of a 5 gallon bucket to sit on, the budget has just about reached a reasonable limit.!
I still get waves and nods of approval, (and I suppose a jealous look from some
that wish they had one), even a few top ten trophies at local car shows.
I'm a happy Model A owner, trying to stay within my means. kb
My experience exactly, and as a coincidence, my roadster has almost the same combination of colors except add a light brown belt line.
Very popular with the public....

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 09:16 AM   #24
Bob Bidonde

Too much talk about Ford policy is hijacking this post. Lets see more pictures of cars and trucks with non-authentic paint schemes.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:14 AM   #25
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
Too much talk about Ford policy is hijacking this post. Lets see more pictures of cars and trucks with non-authentic paint schemes.
Jeez Bob, what's the hurry buddy? If you are in a hurry and want to see unauthentic or incorrect paint jobs on Model-As, just go to Google and type in 'Model-A' in the search bar. About 90% of the images that come up will be incorrectly painted or unauthentic paint jobs.

On the other hand, if you are seeking hits on this thread to keep the topic at the top, then every comment posted just brings it back to the top where other posters will see it and potentially post a picture. Either way it's all good.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:43 AM   #26
Railcarmover
BANNED

My apologies,drifted off on a tangent..Going to shoot the 29 Sport coupe Bobcat charcoal grey..found a quart at the shop,the partsman said he couldn't sell it here in CA...xylene based acrylic enamel..he searched other stores and found 3 more quarts at another branch,80 bucks all in and another swipe at the ridiculous rules of engagement here in Kommiefornia. Add hardener 2oz to 8oz premix for gloss and durability.
Im considering doing the top in aluminum trailer skin and buff it like an airstream trailer..or is that a little too far off the reservation?..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bobcat-white-paint-quart-6902235-4-wm.jpg (6.0 KB, 27 views)
Old 06-23-2019, 01:43 PM   #27
springerpete

Check my avator picture. The red is 1978 Ford "dark red" code 2M
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 02:07 PM   #28
denniskliesen

springerpete, a friend of mine has his 30 coupe painted that color and the pictures never appear to be close to the color looking at it in person.

I have the color chart with the chips and have compared them with the original color on my car that has been covered in an area never exposed to heat or elements that would cause it to fade or change color as far as I know. It has been repainted at one point in it's life a different color than the original. It's my Model A and I'll paint it the color I want it to be in the scheme I want it to be. And it might not be a color used for the year it was made...
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 02:09 PM   #29
denniskliesen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
Original Model "A" paint schemes are way too conservative, so I did it my way. If your Model "A" has a non-authentic paint scheme, please post a picture of it here.
Bob, so which picture is your way? The one on the left or the one on the right?
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:09 AM   #30
Bill G

My wife has been a real partner with me on this '29 Tudor project. We have both wanted a Model A project car for forty years! And, purely as a hobby and to take it out on evening drags, daytime tours and the ubiquitous show and shine competition. Our radar was always set on local showing, and nothing for "real" points. We almost definitely did not like the color combos from the original palettes. Too dark, too drab. Times have changed and it is hard to turn folks eyes and attentions when mine looks just like the one parked three spots down. We chose colors that would have been used in that era on Ford cars, but not the exact or even remotely exact combo. We chose a light gray for the body with dark blue for the upper back, reveals and the belt. Black fenders/running boards. The gist was that our car is starting to draw compliments, and we haven't even gotten it out much yet in its unfinished state,

My wife is a god-send when it comes to colors! Me, I see color and am not color blind, but I sure as Heck can't effectively put two or three colors together in any artistic form. That is where my wife can bring on her skills and we have a great thing.

I have taken the car to the gurus of our club and once we get past the fact that everyone agrees they were not on Henry's list, we do have a nice car with colors that were around at the time, but in our case, the body of the car is being painted with a color that only the pinstripe would have gotten back in 1929. The results, I think, is not a total shocker, but pleasantly different. In the end, we have had good response.

I really love my wife's input and sometimes her downright insistence on certain things. We both want her to know this is her car just as much as it is mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4003.jpg (62.0 KB, 43 views)
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:04 AM   #31
ronn

Im considering doing the top in aluminum trailer skin and buff it like an airstream trailer..or is that a little too far off the reservation?..
CANT WAIT TO SEE IT!
YOU CAN TELL EVERYONE AT THE SHOWS THAT IT WAS HENRYS PERSONAL CAR.

a little fib now and then can brighten the history lesson...............
ronn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:26 AM   #32
Railcarmover
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
CANT WAIT TO SEE IT!

Funny you mention Mr Ford's model A..he had a '28 coupe, with crotch coolers..(cowl vents) been considering that very thing...makes you wonder,If the boss had them why didn't they make it into production?
Old 06-24-2019, 07:48 AM   #33
77Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
CANT WAIT TO SEE IT!

I'm pretty sure (and most of you probably already know about it) that there was either a model A or a '32 that was done in stainless and polished. I believe it was done in conjunction with maybe alcon? and was displayed in the HQ building in Pitt. They also did a late 50's TBird the same way. I saw that at the AACA in Hershey, they may have had the early ford as well I cant remember.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:51 AM   #34
jb-ob

Cowl Vents look 'cool' but fail the mission, as they open forward, directly behind the louvered hood side, collecting all the engine heat.
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:13 AM   #35
Railcarmover
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Birdman View Post
I'm pretty sure (and most of you probably already know about it) that there was either a model A or a '32 that was done in stainless and polished. I believe it was done in conjunction with maybe alcon? and was displayed in the HQ building in Pitt. They also did a late 50's TBird the same way. I saw that at the AACA in Hershey, they may have had the early ford as well I cant remember.
Got pictures for pattern from a friends car done in tin..figure ill do some buck work too,roll it right it takes a nice line.I have a problem dropping a grand on a soft top thats fixed..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 49017892_522932611539599_6746422370996584448_n.jpg (65.1 KB, 48 views)
Old 06-24-2019, 08:57 AM   #36
katy

1936 Ford in stainless steel:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1936 SS Ford.jpg (75.3 KB, 32 views)
Old 06-24-2019, 12:43 PM   #37
Don Turley

Does anyone know whatever happened to "Dusty" who used to be here on the Barn? He had the most non-original color Model A that I can remember!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg green-green coupe (dusty).jpg (74.4 KB, 43 views)
Don Turley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:55 PM   #38
Werner

Hello! I always want my vintage cars as they were made in the factory. But the traces of use may remain. A good car, but not a new one. No high gloss!

Something else is a hot rod. This is no longer a classic car, but the American Graffity level. There is no such thing in Germany. Barely possible.

This different flavor must be separated in the head. Not everyone can do that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190329_180630_resized.jpg (67.5 KB, 36 views)

Ford Model A, Roadster, 1928
Citroen 11 CV, 1947
Hercules W 2000, 1976; (with NSU-Wankel Rotary Engine), Canadian version
Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:49 PM   #39
Railcarmover
BANNED

The Red Army used the AA chassis during the great patriotic war,it powered the Red Army all the way to Berlin..
Old 06-24-2019, 11:28 PM   #40
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Turley View Post
Does anyone know whatever happened to "Dusty" who used to be here on the Barn? He had the most non-original color Model A that I can remember!
I've asked the same thing and never got an answer.
Last I heard, I thought he mentioned getting married, then he vanished.

I think we need to file a missing persons report.
Maybe she took his money and did him in.

BTW, I really like the colors of his car.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote