Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
Ian NZ

Default Crab distributor condensors

I would like to obtain U.S made crab type distributor condensors, I have been in touch with a U.S supplier of 1953-54 Chevy condensors which is recommended but they seem to be made in China and most of the Ford condensors are made in Argentina etc, some have suggested the brass Malory type, I can obtain a Japanese type here but I would think they are only suitable for small Japanese and English cars, Where do we go from here?
Ian NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #2
ken ct
BANNED

Default Re: Crab distributor condensors

Ive been using a napa cond # IH-200,seem to work very well on crab dist. You have to trim the tab on them and they have a wire for connection. Been using them for 6-7 yrs now and no problems with any yet. ken ct Probebly used 75 0f them over the yrs. USA.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
bobH

Per Ken and others, I've currently got the IH 200. Mine came in a SMP box (Standard Motor Products), since I don't have a napa store anywhere close. Before the IH 200, I used the 53-54 Chevy condenser, for the last 12-13 years. No problems with either. I don't know the country of origin - I have not seen any markings. BTW, I don't mount my condenser in stock location - I've got my coil, with condenser, mounted on fender inner-panel - hopefully better protected than stock ???
(With the condenser mounted as I described, I run a separate ground wire from the condenser to the distributor. On my car, I found that this made a difference.)
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:03 AM   #4
Mart

I may be way off base here, but I seem to remember on my 40 I had the coil mounted on the fender brace and had the condenser mounted next to it, connected at that end of the coil to distributor wire. It seemed to work ok. It made the condenser easily accessible. Don't know if it is a recommended thing to do but it did work.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:16 AM   #5
Dec211975

I was told that Echlin from NAPA was bought by Standard Motor Products (by a NAPA Jobber). I don't know if new stock will say Echlin or Standard Motor products.
Dec211975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:50 AM   #6
BUBBAS IGNITION

We have used the FA-54 Napa Echlin condensors for a long time with very little failure . I have checked hundreds of this part on a sun condensor checker and find very few ( if any) problems.
This FA-54 checks at .23 mfds and the spec is .20-.25 mfds on almost every thing built for the 30s thru the 50s.
I like the factory mounting and the short lead .
Echin ( Dana) was purchased by Standard Motor Products however the echlin product is still made by the echlin folks. Every now and then the CS47 contacts will come in with some of the good echlin stuff and then a poorly made set will pop out of the box made by someone else at Standard Motor etc.
We use the echlin and send back the standard motor stuff...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_9500.jpg (28.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 100_9501.jpg (33.1 KB, 6 views)
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:53 AM   #7
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
I may be way off base here, but I seem to remember on my 40 I had the coil mounted on the fender brace and had the condenser mounted next to it, connected at that end of the coil to distributor wire. It seemed to work ok. It made the condenser easily accessible. Don't know if it is a recommended thing to do but it did work.

Mart.
Actually you want the condensor as close to the contacts as you can get it. Resistance and flow in the circuit change quite a bit with a long lead wire etc.
On many factory vehicles two condensors were used , one in the distributor to work with the ignition and one on the coil for noise suppression.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:55 AM   #8
Bluebell

Bubba, what condenser capacity would you reccommend for a 12 volt system?
my understanding is any condenser will work, it's just that the points won't last long if the condenser capacity is too high or too low.
Can you make a suggestion (capacity in microfarads) for a universal type 6 volt coil and 12 volt coil?
I'm assuming the .20 - .25 mfd is for the ford 4 1/2 volt coil.

I enjoy your detailed informative posts. I'm sure you've covered some of this before, but like me there will be new guys climbing on board all the time.
Again, thank you!
Bluebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #9
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebell View Post
Bubba, what condenser capacity would you reccommend for a 12 volt system?
my understanding is any condenser will work, it's just that the points won't last long if the condenser capacity is too high or too low.
Can you make a suggestion (capacity in microfarads) for a universal type 6 volt coil and 12 volt coil?
I'm assuming the .20 - .25 mfd is for the ford 4 1/2 volt coil.

I enjoy your detailed informative posts. I'm sure you've covered some of this before, but like me there will be new guys climbing on board all the time.
Again, thank you!

Six or twelve either one will work , condensors are usually rated at 40 to 100 volts plus. This is based on the primary voltages when the coil fires , not unusual to see a few hundred volts at the coils negative terminal.
Most coils are wired with a primary turns ratio of (example) 100 to 1 to transform the low voltage primary to high voltage secondary.
When the coils fires the plug at ( lets say) 6,000 volts the coil transforms the six volts into 6000 volts. The reverse also happens with the inductive kick and the 6000 induces (lets say) 175 volts into the primary as well.
This voltage will increase every time the coils output increases and we have measured some 300-400 volts at the primary on a broke high voltage car....
So the condensor has got to be pretty tough to handle this system....
Old 06-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #10
Bluebell

My observation has been that 6 volt systems us a physically larger condenser, than (the more modern) 12 volt systems.
Is this to do with manufacturing and materials, or is it capacity related?
To have a balanced system and to expect a a long life from the contacts, what condenser capacity should we be aiming for with a 12 volt set up?.. or are you saying the .20 to .25mfd is right for both?
Bluebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:49 PM   #11
russcc

I have seen recommended here on Fordbarn, the preferred use of the Vertex condenser as superior to what ever is out there now. Contact MRI, "Mason Racing Ignitions" , in PA. Pat Mason was previously head 0f Mfg for Vertex Magnetos.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:02 AM   #12
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by russcc View Post
I have seen recommended here on Fordbarn, the preferred use of the Vertex condenser as superior to what ever is out there now. Contact MRI, "Mason Racing Ignitions" , in PA. Pat Mason was previously head 0f Mfg for Vertex Magnetos.
We also stock the high quality Vertex condensors they are rated at .30-.40 mfds and work very well on most systems especially the early helmets etc..
They run $ 20 each shipped to your door......
Old 06-12-2013, 08:07 AM   #13
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebell View Post
My observation has been that 6 volt systems us a physically larger condenser, than (the more modern) 12 volt systems.
Is this to do with manufacturing and materials, or is it capacity related?
To have a balanced system and to expect a a long life from the contacts, what condenser capacity should we be aiming for with a 12 volt set up?.. or are you saying the .20 to .25mfd is right for both?

The early helmets use a .30-.40mfd condensor and the crabs use the .20-.25 condensors...
Assuming the contacts are properly adjusted you can run a little higher than normal in capacity.
A under capacity condensor will cause a arc at the contacts and a condensor thats too high will also cause a arc. The storage capacity of each has to be great enough to store this energy allowing a clean make-break of the primary circuit. Incorrect capacity will also cause the engine to skip and misfire on a single cylinder etc...