Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-18-2011, 06:10 PM   #1
Chris

Default Another early Ford convertible follows me home...WHATS WRONG WITH ME??

You know I was perfectly happy. I JUST bought a 1948 Ford convertible project a few weeks ago out of Missouri. It got here, I was working on it, collecting parts, ect. I had BIG plans for it. Life was good...

Friday I was at work and the Wheels Deals guy dropped a stack off at the front door. Like every Friday I garb one and thumb through it. I get about in the middle and stumble across an add for a 1941 Ford convertible from a place called Silvers Collector Cars. Let me give you a little history lesson.

Silvers is an antique car auction place. They sell old cars and have auctions. The owner of this place has had this convertible for a couple years, and he wanted 21K for it. I never looked at the car, it was simply too much money.

OK, back to Wheels deals. So I see the add. It said 11K OBO. I was just headed to lunch so flew up there, thinking it was a type-o and it was suppose to say 21K. Well it wasn't. The owner was super nice, made me a great deal. He was just leaving town for the weekend and I left him a deposit as he said he would be back Monday AM. Perfect, I don't work Mondays

I bit my nails all weekend hoping that someone wouldn't offer more or the owner decided not to sell or whatever, got there today and he said "good thing you left a deposit, my phone rang ALL WEEKEND on that car". He knows no history, he got it with some other cars a couple years back. It has chrome garnish moldings, dual spots and anntenas, two tone dash, custom interior...looks like a 50's high school kids car.

So, here it is. I LOVE 41 Fords, I used to have a tudor sedan so this one is extra special. My dad swung by after work and we got the top down, the top is in nice shape. Overall a decent old survivor with one repaint. Had something living under the back seat but no damage done, just a mess to clean. Odometer shows 43,000 miles. One head has been pulled, but engine turns over. If I can get it running, do the brakes, gas tank, wiring, ect...it MIGHT make it to the E vs. W run in 2 months!!! Sorry to say the "new" 48 ragtop will probably go down the road, but how many does a guy need

Here she be:

Pulling it out of a storage building

http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=IMG_9907.jpg

Old 07-18-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
Chris

Default Re: Another early Ford convertible follows me home...WHATS WRONG WITH ME??

Top down

"nest"

Old 07-18-2011, 06:20 PM   #3
jdl

Send a message via ICQ to jdl
Default Re: Another early Ford convertible follows me home...WHATS WRONG WITH ME??

Nothin wrong with you.. you are a lucky guy! my 1st car at age 15 was a 41 coupe, $50. a long long time ago.
Good luck withyour new treasure.
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:24 PM   #4
Joe AZ

Chris.....you certainly have "the knack" for finding old Fords. Can't fault you for that. I guess you're the first person I'm going to contact if I'm looking for something in particular. I'm sure you'd come up with it.
Probably need to unload that roadster in the background? LOL
Joe
Joe AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:11 PM   #5
Shadetree

Looks like a good find! The body really looks good, the rest you can fix.

As they say, if the top goes down, the price goes up!

Shadetree
Old 07-18-2011, 07:18 PM   #6
Vic Piano

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Chris, Another excellent find. By the way, need has nothing to do with it... None of us need multiple cars... I love convertibles and so far, I've been lucky enough to collect seven of them. Good luck with the '41. Vic
Old 07-18-2011, 07:41 PM   #7
41ford1

What's wrong with you? Absolutely nothing! At least you have garage space you don't have to rent.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:57 PM   #8
bluesman

Chris,,,, all i can say is! I bet your family has a hard time keeping up with u?Your the man,, nice find Randy
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:01 PM   #9
Grandadeo

Yer killin me Man!

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50
Grandadeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:35 PM   #10
JM 35 Sedan

You are unbelievably lucky at finding nice old Fords!! Do me a favor and just pretend you are looking for a nice '35 3w coupe and when it turns up give me a call. LOL
I'm actually happy that somebody is finding these old Fords and will get them back on the road where we can all enjoy seeing them.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:45 PM   #11
Russ/40

Congratulations on a great find. You just have the knack I guess. You can't have too many old Fords. The only way to control it is to not have the money to buy them. You have some very desirable iron in your garage.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:54 PM   #12
Strick

Another great find! I've always like the 41 Ford convertibles...Quite a stable you got there.
Strick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:22 PM   #13
Brendan

nice car , i wold get it on the road and drive it!

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:25 PM   #14
Tim Ayers

Dang, Chris. Another great one. Besides early V8 roadsters, I also love '41 converts. They make some of the nicest customs. Great score and good luck.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:59 PM   #15
FL&WVMIKE

Me thinks that you did good !
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:15 PM   #16
tierod

Talking Re: Another early Ford convertible follows me home...WHATS WRONG WITH ME??

you lucky guy. Had one like that in hs that i pd $100. For. Tthat was 1954/5. Good luck.
tierod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:53 PM   #17
felix37

Nice find! I wish I had your luck! Hope you get it cruising soon.
felix37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:07 AM   #18
Chris

Thanks guys! I have been sweatin my butt off all day cleaning this ol pig. I gutted the interor and cleaned it out. I was AMAZED to find mostly black paint, even under the "nest". No rot. The trunck is very nice as well! I gotta do a little more scraping and then hose the thing out. The drivers door did not latch when I got it, had a broken spring. Dug through some of the boxes of stuff I got at the swap meet last weekend and found a set of NOS latches! Now it closes very nice

Back seat cleaned up nice so far, front seats next

Old 07-19-2011, 01:12 AM   #19
Chris

Oh, and as far as finding stuff yes, I'll admit the junk finds me pretty easy. I dunno why that is, but I have had a lot of early Fords. I really don't have a lot of money, I work a regular job that does not pay the greatest but every time there has been something I have wanted I usually find a way. This time it was selling my Model A roadster to my Brother
Old 07-19-2011, 03:51 AM   #20
35cab

Congratulations Chris, There is nothing wrong with you, nothing.
I love following your adventures here and on the hamb.
This one looks amazing, what a great few weeks ahead cleaning it and getting it running.
Maybe a pair of fender skirts lurking in your stockpile? Now got to get back and look at the pictures again.
Gordon.
35cab is offline   Reply With Quote