Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-27-2010, 12:28 PM   #1
TheoDouglas

Default Allow myself to introduce myself

Hello, folks,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a new member, from Southern California, and I'm putting together a 1949 Ford Club Coupe that was a yard car when I found it three years ago.

It still had 1959 New Mexico plates on it and a pre-Surgeon General's warning Lucky Strikes pack in the ashtray.

Now, it's up on four wheels and just the front cap rehung, wiring, and gas tank nozzle cinched up to run.

This will probably take me a lot longer to finish than it would you--but I'm having fun doing it.

I'm attaching a couple pix of my progress thus far.

Yes, I clipped it with a Street Rod Engineering front clip and a new Ford 9-inch out back; yes, I added a smallblock done up to early style; and yes, it will be nosed, decked and shaved.

But with the hood down, I don't intend it to look any different from what you might have seen roaming the streets circa about 1954. That's why it still has the stock column and shifter--adapted.

Last, yes, those are 16-inch wheels, with 6.00-16 Firestones. They're International truck wheels, which have the late pattern--but I also have a crusty set of 16-inch 1949 Ford export wheels. Just in case ... .

And the chrome speaker grill ... looks great in a photo--but in reality, it was all rusty when I found it. It's old chrome--as are the set of window garnish moldings I have for it, when it first gets running. Later, when I find the money, I hope to move up to good chrome.

That's how I'm doing it. Hope it entertains you.

Cheers,

Theo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2900.jpg (83.4 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3228.jpg (56.3 KB, 75 views)
TheoDouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
Brendan

Default Re: Allow myself to introduce myself

did you say ,chevy
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:30 PM   #3
TheoDouglas

Yep, I did.:ee k:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
did you say ,chevy
Old 05-27-2010, 02:01 PM   #4
PeteVS

Nuthin' too much wrong with an orange motor. (Some folks round here say they got too much parts tho.)
Old 05-27-2010, 02:11 PM   #5
TheoDouglas

Thanks, Pete.

I wish it weren't an orange motor--but for now, it's about as much as I can do, both mechanically and financially. Later, I want something that's Ford on Ford on Ford, but that's a different story.

Engine aside, I want this car to be respectful of Henry, and I hope you guys see that. I wish I could tell you how many hours I've spent searching out parts. I have three incomplete sets of rear side window garnish moldings alone--and I actually found a bunch of NOS lower window pivot arms to fix 'em.

I am really intent on finishing this coupe and then driving the wheels off it.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:40 PM   #6
uncle max

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoDouglas View Post
Hello, folks,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a new member, from Southern California, and I'm putting together a 1949 Ford Club Coupe that was a yard car when I found it three years ago.

It still had 1959 New Mexico plates on it and a pre-Surgeon General's warning Lucky Strikes pack in the ashtray.

Now, it's up on four wheels and just the front cap rehung, wiring, and gas tank nozzle cinched up to run.

This will probably take me a lot longer to finish than it would you--but I'm having fun doing it.

Yes, I clipped it with a Street Rod Engineering front clip and a new Ford 9-inch out back; yes, I added a smallblock done up to early style; and yes, it will be nosed, decked and shaved.

But with the hood down, I don't intend it to look any different from what you might have seen roaming the streets circa about 1954. That's why it still has the stock column and shifter--adapted.

Last, yes, those are 16-inch wheels, with 6.00-16 Firestones. They're International truck wheels, which have the late pattern--but I also have a crusty set of 16-inch 1949 Ford export wheels. Just in case ... .

And the chrome speaker grill ... looks great in a photo--but in reality, it was all rusty when I found it. It's old chrome--as are the set of window garnish moldings I have for it, when it first gets running. Later, when I find the money, I hope to move up to good chrome.

Cheers,

Theo
How do you spell OFF TOPIC?
uncle max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:24 PM   #7
Russ/40

You might do better on the street rod forum. Flatheaders found here.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:28 PM   #8
TheoDouglas

Well, Uncle Max,

I spell Off Topic O-f-f SPACE T-o-p-i-c.

Is that right.

So tell me this, guys, should I cancel my membership because this isn't a 100 percent restoration?

If enough of you say "Yes!" by midnight tonight, I'll cancel my membership first thing tomorrow.

I don't like haters, and I sense that there's a lot of you out there, so go for it. Bring the hate. Tell me how much of an asshole I am for clipping my car and putting a Chevy engine in it.

I know you want to.

All I want to do is look at old Fords and (slowly 'cause of dough) fix mine up and get it driveable. That's all I want. But hey--I'm not you. So go ahead and run me off.

Midnight tonight. I'll tally the responses tomorrow morning and either stay on here or cancel my membership.

Thanks.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:29 PM   #9
TheoDouglas

For those of you counting, it's 3-1 in favor of me cancelling my membership.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:30 PM   #10
Cecil/WV

Talk about thin skin??
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:35 PM   #11
TheoDouglas

Cecil,

Maybe you're better than I at reading what's going on here. Am I genuinely not welcome on here 'cause I have a Chevy in my Ford--or am I just getting razzed by the old guys?
Old 05-27-2010, 03:38 PM   #12
STEVE1103

Do what you have to do, you drive it, you own it, know where your coming from!!
STEVE1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:39 PM   #13
TheoDouglas

That's what I think, too. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE1103 View Post
Do what you have to do, you drive it, you own it, know where your coming from!!
Old 05-27-2010, 03:40 PM   #14
Russ/40

No intention to razz you, just letting you know that this group is oriented toward the V8 Flathead Ford. You will find more like company on the street rod site.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:41 PM   #15
general gow

i think it's just that there's already the HAMB for that kind of stuff. believe me, i dig it. i am on the HAMB a lot too, more than here. but here is here. you don't go to a steakhouse and act surprised that they don't have much for vegetarians...
general gow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:41 PM   #16
TheoDouglas

Thanks, Russ.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:42 PM   #17
Django

I like the air cleaner but you should have painted the motor Ford green.

Hi Theo!
Old 05-27-2010, 03:48 PM   #18
joe plumber

To each his own.Not a big deal to me.
joe plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:01 PM   #19
1938 Woody Cape Cod

There is nothing wrong with what you are doing..........you're just on the wrong site..
1938 Woody Cape Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:07 PM   #20
36tbird

I just sold my '36 Tudor RestoRod that had a 283, turbo400, 8" rearend, disc brakes, air conditioning. I painted it a spring type color like Ford did but it was not a correct color for that year. I got an interior kit stitched in the original way but not brown which was all Ford offered. I had the original gages. WWW's on 15" wheels with '50 Ford hubcaps because they were close to what '36 hubcaps are like. Anyway, I am a member of my local Early Ford V-8 Club and I found it very ironic that the one guy who notoriously runs down non-flathead powered cars in the club never drives his flathead coupe to the meetings. I was there all the time in my '36. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy flathead powered, restored cars, but to me it is more of a "philosophy" of driving and enjoying the old cars versus strict restoration. So, my vote is you should stay on this forum because it may be a resource for other work you may do on the club coupe that doesn't have a thing to do with the engine.
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:27 PM   #21
Mr48

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr48

I have a friend in the local V8 club who does pretty much the same 36Tbird. He drives the wheels of his Ford with later engine under the hood but just never opens the hood in public. He is also one of the hardest working members in that club as far as club activities go. If you follow the 20 foot rule his car appears to be pretty much stone stock though right down to the correct paint color and wheels and tires. He just has a lot less trouble going up steep hills than his club members do.
I on the other have the correct engine but no car although my 8-BA in my avatar spent many years under the hood of a Jeep station wagon.
Mr48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:34 PM   #22
Vic Piano

Like others have said "it's your car, do what you want with it", just know that this site favors Flathead V8 powered Ford products. You may get some flack but it is usually in the form of lighthearted jabs. I like Flatheads but I don't adhere to the "as Henry built it" way for restoration. Welcome to the FordBarn.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:44 PM   #23
FL&WVMIKE

Hey FORDBARNERS . . . . . . . . .
It's more Ford that Cheby.
Personally, I'd rather see a flathead in it, but it's no skin off my nose. It's his car. He can do what he wants to with it. Now, if he chopped the top, I'd vote to send him over to HAMB. I think that he is plenty welcome here.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:07 PM   #24
Drunkandgreasy

Not a big deal to me either. Headsup, ignore the douchebags, for everyone one of them on here there are 20 that arent. As for the HAMB, it's opposite.

Keep posting pics and progress, so I can stare at your pics. I dont care if it has the stock flattie or a SBC, its a 53 or earlier and it's totally bitchin.

Cheers and beers
Hodge
Drunkandgreasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:25 PM   #25
Ross in East Texas

Send a message via AIM to Ross in East Texas

Hang around, there are some soreheads that think that the3y run the show but in reality, you have found the place to learn about how your Ford should be. In reality, I believe a SBC looks more normal in a Shoebox than a Flatty in a Corvette!
I am keeping mine Henry with early "Hot Rod" accessories. (Edlebrock, Edmunds, Ect.) In reality this isn't pure Henry either I guess?
Old 05-27-2010, 05:33 PM   #26
HOTRODPRIMER

There are a lot of guys here that have cars that are hot rods and the same guys own restored or near restored old Ford's with flatheads,,,I have one of each,,,

The prudent thing to do is stick around and enjoy the site.

You know it's kinda funny,,some of the hard core old Ford Barn guys are as bad as some of the hambers with their attitudes! HRP
Old 05-27-2010, 05:37 PM   #27
Drunkandgreasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross in East Texas View Post
Hang around, there are some soreheads that think that the3y run the show but in reality, you have found the place to learn about how your Ford should be. In reality, I believe a SBC looks more normal in a Shoebox than a Flatty in a Corvette!
I am keeping mine Henry with early "Hot Rod" accessories. (Edlebrock, Edmunds, Ect.) In reality this isn't pure Henry either I guess?

I agree man, show me a pure henry that is driven as a daily driver...Not gonna happen. I drive my 58 everywhere on a daily basis, it's my only driver. If not for the original 352 interceptor, I would have a freakin 351 in it with all the bolt on go fast stuff.

Theo loves his car, and I love his car too. Even if it has a motor made by the dark lord himself!LOL!!!

Cheers
Hodge
Old 05-27-2010, 05:38 PM   #28
TheoDouglas

Thanks, guys!
Old 05-27-2010, 06:02 PM   #29
Frank The Plumber

Theo,
You could have put a 351 w in it, you would have been all Ford, It was cheaper to put the blue motor in it, my 38 has a blue motor in it, its really red but blue, when it all comes down to it this group of guys does not want to see pictures of my 351 w either, this is a flat head ford site, all I usually post about on here is body and frame related, when I go on the hamb I get attacked by the Chevy guys. If the big guy had an injected hemi in his 39 it would all be different, all fords are cool and all ford owners are proud, 25 years ago when you couldn't get speed parts for a Ford it took a guy who really could stomach a lot to keep running blue ovals, it cost twice as much to beat a Chevy with a Ford, I lost a lot of thousands and three teeth racing Fords. And I would never do it different. Stroked 427 windsor, 150 shot, 2500 stall c6, reverse pattern manual valve body, 9 inch 411, My 4000 pound pig ran an 11.50 best in three runs on pump gas and I drove it home, Oh and I had the AC on during my best pass cause I was kinda hot and I didnt want to become stinky.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:39 PM   #30
Cecil/WV

Quote:
Cecil,

Maybe you're better than I at reading what's going on here. Am I genuinely not welcome on here 'cause I have a Chevy in my Ford--or am I just getting razzed by the old guys?
You will find that most of the guys on this site frown on a Chevy engine in an old Ford. I feel the same way, however, many don't mind using a Chevy distributor and valves on the flathead engine. Personally, I have owned Chevy's, Dodges, & Olds, heck, I even had a Rabbit once, but not for long. But I want my Ford to be all Ford. I presently have 9 Fords, 2 Chevys, and 1 Dodge.

What you do with your car is up to you. I heard the part about your eventually returning it to all Ford. That would be good, in my book, even if it is a 289 or 302. Welcome to the Fordbarn.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:47 PM   #31
BrianCT

1938 I think what he is doing is wrong but it his car . How can this site be of any help to him when he has removed a large part of Henry's parts?
Old 05-27-2010, 09:53 PM   #32
timcharles

I have two projects . An early 50 ford pickup f1 that will be powered by the sbc 350 and a 51 ford panel that I will eventually return to stock condition. They're mine and I'll make them the way I want. I love hot rods and stock flatties.
timcharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:11 PM   #33
55 dude

sounds like it's time to install that 22-R motor in my 38'! welcome to the fordbarn. drunkandgreasy you used my favorite catch word "DOUCHBAG"!
55 dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:10 PM   #34
Mike in AZ

good luck with your project...as you've seen, most here like the flathead, etc....can put different transmissions, etc....but flathead powered is the way to go, IMO....so you could probably get some answers about the body parts, etc....heck, even probably some answers about other stuff, too.....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:36 AM   #35
Graeme / New Zealand

Welcome to the barn Theo....... sorry some have made you feel "as welcome as a fart in an astronaut suit." Most of us are a friendly lot.... you never know a tricked out flattie might eventually find its way into that engine bay.

GB
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:21 AM   #36
tub1

that car belongs to a man who is proud of his car dont tell him he is wrong at least he is getting the car on the back on the road were it should be not rusting away un loved hey his next car maybe a full resto 32 vicky then every one will tell him he is wonderfulperson to much critism drives car people apart i know it happens here in australia all the bloddy time
tub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:20 AM   #37
chuck stevens

49's are cool my has a 286 with three duces, 3 on the tree with overdrive.
Oh yea 180 louvres in the hood keeps it cool, Chuck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 49 ford 001.jpg (132.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 49 ford 014.jpg (99.5 KB, 8 views)
chuck stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:20 AM   #38
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Hello, folks,
Cheers,
Theo
__________________________________________________ _____________

Hi Theo, If you could actually get a good tally here of all the folks who have cars like/similar to what you are building, I think you would be surprised at the actual number. The difference may be that you were honest about what you intend to do, while others who post here may not be willing to admit that they have an OHV/some off brand engine in there heap. Don't let a few negative posters here run you away. Please feel free to continue posting and asking questions relative to building your car. We can all get along if we try. Regards, JM

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:55 AM   #39
TomT/Williamsburg

First, welcome and nice car.

I agree w/JM - hang in there, Theo, talk to us about your updates and keep us posted on your progress. Yes, this is a site that is devoted to Fords and flatheads and some are perhaps overly sensitive to a non-flathead powered car but your DID say you wanted to EVENTUALLY be all Ford when your pocketbook can afford it.

So, now that you know how we are oriented, and I definitely agree w/Vic that most are lighthearted jabs at you being C---- powered - hey, it's your car, you build it, and enjoy the process.
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:52 AM   #40
Mike B

Here's my take, and how I have used the FordBarn for the past several years..

I have two '36 Ford PU's I'm building, one is similar to your car (Fuel Injected 5.0, Heidts, AOD, 9inch rear...ect) I NEVER ask a question here reagarding my suspension, engine, etc, etc...only things that are specific to '36 PU's.

My other '36 is in the "chassis stage" with a 221 FH, 3spd and open drive rear...not much of deviation as it was originally built, but won't be a "restoration project" either.

I've had no issues asking question about either truck while working on them, but I keep the questions "Early V8" related.

I don't think you'll find help here asking "what driveline should I look for for my combo", or "what radiator cools a SBC in a '49 Ford the best", but Year model question and such will most likely get a helpful reply.

Sure, most regulars here deviate some and it's accepted, but concept of this Forum shoul be respected.

Good luck, as other's have said, stick around...and don't for get the HAMB!
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:54 AM   #41
hbleadsled

Hi Theo, I agree stay it is a shoe box,keep the hood closed.I have a 51 shoebox with a 3/4 race some people do not like that but a lot of guys on the fordbarn have built motors Harold Ca.
hbleadsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:54 AM   #42
uncle max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
Here's my take, and how I have used the FordBarn for the past several years..

I have two '36 Ford PU's I'm building, one is similar to your car (Fuel Injected 5.0, Heidts, AOD, 9inch rear...ect) I NEVER ask a question here reagarding my suspension, engine, etc, etc...only things that are specific to '36 PU's.

My other '36 is in the "chassis stage" with a 221 FH, 3spd and open drive rear...not much of deviation as it was originally built, but won't be a "restoration project" either.

I've had no issues asking question about either truck while working on them, but I keep the questions "Early V8" related.

I don't think you'll find help here asking "what driveline should I look for for my combo", or "what radiator cools a SBC in a '49 Ford the best", but Year model question and such will most likely get a helpful reply.

Sure, most regulars here deviate some and it's accepted, but concept of this Forum shoul be respected.

Good luck, as other's have said, stick around...and don't for get the HAMB!
Nutshell of the day!
uncle max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:29 PM   #43
jimTN

Garbage truck engines not part of this site.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:56 AM   #44
Royal Ryser

Nothin wrong with what you are doing. Most of our flatheads have some changes/modifications. Maybe we all would like to have a perfect restoration but can't for one reason or other. Stick around.
Royal Ryser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:12 PM   #45
Drunkandgreasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55 dude View Post
sounds like it's time to install that 22-R motor in my 38'! welcome to the fordbarn. drunkandgreasy you used my favorite catch word "DOUCHBAG"!

LOL!!!! yeah, that slipped out.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:12 PM   #46
BIG MIKE

HEY I OWN A TANK am I on the Correct SITE? Even tho i'm on 6 other militaryt vehicle sites I LOVE this one the Best and the NEW look Too! Cheers Lads! BIG MIKEY
BIG MIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:22 AM   #47
chester meredith

Hi Theo. Cool old Ford. Keep up the good work. thanks for sharing the photos with us all. CM
chester meredith is offline   Reply With Quote