Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-29-2019, 02:07 PM   #1
nick c

Default 29 ccpu sun visor cover

I bought a sun visor cover from Mikes for an original frame, the frame has 2 tabs sticking up on each side, do they poke through the cover, then is there a sheet metal strip that goes over the tabs and gets bent down?
The kit comes with 12 pic's and instructions, the first instruction says, attach thin cloth to the top of visor frame using contact adhesive, what type of fabric should I use? and what type glue?
thanks nick c
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 02:44 PM   #2
1955cj5

Default Re: 29 ccpu sun visor cover

There is a sheet metal strip for each side with holes for the tabs as you mentioned. The tabs go through the fabric and then the strips help hold everything in place.

I don't remember where I got these.....they did not come with the visor kit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000934.JPG (164.7 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by 1955cj5; 05-29-2019 at 02:53 PM.
1955cj5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 02:46 PM   #3
Dan Partain

Nick, yes, there is a metal strip and tabs that bend over the strip on the original visors. Here's a photo.
I used contact cement years ago on this one and it held up fine. For the cloth over the visor frame use something with a little substance, I used some old denim, probably from some of my old levis and it worked great. You could also use some of the cotton duck that is used in the top of the 82-A.
-DAN
Attached Images
File Type: jpg visor 06 (1024x765).jpg (115.9 KB, 74 views)
Dan Partain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:36 AM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
The kit comes with 12 pic's and instructions, the first instruction says, attach thin cloth to the top of visor frame using contact adhesive, what type of fabric should I use? and what type glue?
thanks nick c

Nick, in the industry we use a product called Weldwood Landau Top adhesive. This is a yellow glue that is sprayed from a gun however it can be brushed also.

I am curious how the instructions suggest to sew the fabric on the inside of the frame as shown in Dan's photo.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 12:07 PM   #5
Dan Partain

Brent, the replacement visor covers I have seen have all had the stiches on both sides of the cover, and after it's mounted and glued together it gives the appearance of being sewed together.
In addition to that, the replacement visors have the stiches squared off in the corners. The original visors were covered and sewn together after the cover was mounted, this left the stiches rounded in the corners.
-DAN
Old 05-30-2019, 12:19 PM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Partain View Post
Brent, the replacement visor covers I have seen have all had the stiches on both sides of the cover, and after it's mounted and glued together it gives the appearance of being sewed together.
In addition to that, the replacement visors have the stiches squared off in the corners. The original visors were covered and sewn together after the cover was mounted, this left the stiches rounded in the corners.
-DAN

Yes, I knew that hence the reason I was asking. I had not seen the sewing method like you described however I also have a Singer long arm sewing machine where we do it correctly as Ford did on those, so I really had not inquired how others were doing it.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 03:19 PM   #7
Dan Partain

I figured you knew the proper way to do the visors, and it's good to know there is a place to have it done correctly.
The visor in my photo was a kit from Lebaron Bonney from about 1971. The fit was excellent on my original frame, it would make a good pattern for a new one.
-DAN
Old 05-31-2019, 04:25 PM   #8
nick c

Mine was all glued and did not come with any stitching, I did not think it was fun to install. Would anyone suggest a thin bead of caulking between the visor and the wood header where the 7 screw are?
thanks nick c
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote