Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-11-2015, 04:02 PM   #1
john charlton

Default Right Hand Drive Door Latches etc etc .

It has always seemed odd to me that to enter your locked model A you have to unlock the passenger door and reach across to unlock the drivers door . RHD cars are just the same . Cabriolets and fordor doors where the lock is in the door and not in the handle are RHD or LHD . So I have a RHD cabriolet door which is the LEFT door !!! My fordor has a LHD door which is the RIGHT door . I was looking at Tudor door latches and noted that they too are LHD or RHD . The latches from a RHD Tudor left door there is no "slider latch" spot welded to the inside of the latch plate ,the one I looked at is marked "HAM" so I guess of USA manufacture . On LHD cars there are no "D" nuts on the inner door that would hold the inside latch on the passenger door . On RHD cars BOTH doors have the "D" nut . So you have a RHD specific door on a RHD Tudor which is the right door (confusing aint it) So the left door is both RHD and LHD . I guess having the locks set like this was a safety thing so Milady didnt get side swiped while unlocking her car out in the street but she still has to walk out in the roadway anyway to get into the drivers seat , In a Fordor or pickup with a bench seat it is easy to slide across if you dont get tangled up in the shifter or handbrake lever . Doing it in a Tudor with separate front seats is not so easy . One solution is to put a locking handle on the drivers door in a Tudor /Pickup but not possible on most Fordors/cabriolets .Another thought if Madam gets a flat in her roadster/pickup with a side mounted spare I would think she would be far more at risk of getting zapped when wrestling the spare out of the fender well than if she was doing it curbside !!! On RHD cars the fender well is on the drivers side as well maybe it was to stop you standing in a wet gutter but then again any one of your four wheels could be the flat ,its a mystery .

John in cool dark Suffolk County England .

Last edited by john charlton; 10-11-2015 at 04:30 PM.
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 04:08 PM   #2
Brentwood Bob

Default Re: Right Hand Drive Door Latches etc etc .

Henry Ford oversaw the building of each model. It was his company. So I blame him for this issue. Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote