Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-11-2019, 10:44 AM   #1
kenparker

Default head light bucket - reflectors

I have inherited a pair of headlilght buckets. Looks new. The reflectors also look new and are very shiny. How do I tell if the reflectors are chrome or the good silver (aluminized) ? kenp
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:30 AM   #2
redmodelt

Default Re: head light bucket - reflectors

Good chance if they were not replaced in maybe the last 4 or so years they are chrome. Chrome might have a blue tint to it, aluminized might be more on the warm scale.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:43 PM   #3
Badpuppy

The aluminized one from Bratton's has the word 'top' stamped on it.

https://www.brattons.com/newly-re-to...eflectors.html

If you measure from the throat of the socket sleeve to where it touches the rim and there is a difference of about 1/8" between top and bottom, it is either original Twolite or aluminized repro. I don't think any of the chrome ones had the 1/16" offset.

On the other hand, there may be aluminized reflectors without this offset; the other vendors don't mention it. These would be appropriate for the earlier H-type lamps.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:51 PM   #4
cpf240

If I may ask - what were the original reflectors made out of, the base material, not the reflective coating?

I took one of my headlights apart, and the reflector feels like it is plastic. In addition, the reflective coating isn't very reflective, so I'll probably be replacing them.

Sorry for the sidetrack....
cpf240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:59 PM   #5
redmodelt

90% sure brass
Old 02-11-2019, 07:12 PM   #6
kenparker

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
cpf. No apologicies necessary. It is not a side track.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Now for a followup. The reflectors I was refering to do have a very faint blue tint to them, thus I am going to suspect they are chrome. These were bought by the previous owner and have beeen wrapped in the original shipping newspaper since 1988. A lot of his stuff from 1985 to 1988 was supplied by Brattons. Their base material is brass.

I have two other sets of original reflectors. One set is one light and the second set have two light bulbs. All four reflectors are base material of brass, but all the original silver plating is long gone.

Having a hard time measuring any of them accurately, so not sure about the 1/16" offset
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:39 PM   #7
J Franklin

Your chrome reflectors can be recoated with aluminum by UVIRA, look them up. The original reflecting coating was silver.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:05 PM   #8
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
Your chrome reflectors can be recoated with aluminum by UVIRA, look them up. The original reflecting coating was silver.
UVIRA ((541) 474-5050) is definitely the place to take your original reflectors. If your reflectors are not original the older repros had a reputation of being the wrong shape. This leaves the best solution to be to buy the reflectors from Bratton's. They invested the tooling to make the correct shape reflectors and I don't think they are wholesaling them to the other suppliers. To make things better they have the aluminum plating. Aluminum may sound cheap but this is the surface they use in medical mirrors and spacecraft mirrors, not a place to cut corners.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:30 AM   #9
Badpuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpf240 View Post
If I may ask - what were the original reflectors made out of, the base material, not the reflective coating?

I took one of my headlights apart, and the reflector feels like it is plastic. In addition, the reflective coating isn't very reflective, so I'll probably be replacing them.
The originals were silver plated brass.

Tap the back of the reflector - "tink-tink" is metal, "tunk-tunk" is plastic. You can also scrape the outer edge with a knife.

The best (and cheapest) silver polish is vinegar and salt. Cleans it right up. Also works for other metals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenparker View Post
Having a hard time measuring any of them accurately, so not sure about the 1/16" offset
Just stick a ruler or metal tape into the socket opening (front) and note where it touches the rim. Noticeable difference between top and bottom (or not). Top and bottom usually marked with small v-notches in the edge.

The offset (for Twolite) isn't absolutely necessary, but keeps the beam height from creeping up and down while focusing.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:39 AM   #10
Joe K

Somewhere here on this board are comparison pix of original reflectors and the then available reproduction reflectors. IIRC the originals are "deeper" and the difference can be measured.

I'm not finding the comparison pix - but Vince Falter has the reflector original print on his site. See http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/Aheadlampreflectors.htm

Joe K
Old 02-12-2019, 05:36 PM   #11
denniskliesen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
UVIRA ((541) 474-5050) is definitely the place to take your original reflectors. If your reflectors are not original the older repros had a reputation of being the wrong shape. This leaves the best solution to be to buy the reflectors from Bratton's. They invested the tooling to make the correct shape reflectors and I don't think they are wholesaling them to the other suppliers. To make things better they have the aluminum plating. Aluminum may sound cheap but this is the surface they use in medical mirrors and spacecraft mirrors, not a place to cut corners.

Charlie Stephens
Bert's in CO have them, the polished aluminum plated. I bought a pair from them last year and they have a blue dot at the top also and have an offset socket hole.

https://modelastore.com/head-lights?product_id=4271
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:32 PM   #12
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

http://www.abarnyard.com/workshop/lamp_focus-2.htm