Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-02-2020, 10:55 AM   #1
AnthonyG

Default Henry’s plan 2 mitigate Chevy

Very cool & interesting Henry F Flatty strategy. Long but very interesting!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RB3z1er9Sw
Old 04-02-2020, 11:36 AM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: Henry’s plan 2 mitigate Chevy

Gee, I sure hope we don't reach the point again when we pay our traffic tickets with
chickens and produce.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 01:57 PM   #3
AnthonyG

If I don’t check my emotions seems that’s where we’re headed! Thought it amazing Henry’s factories brought raw materials in one end, iron ore, coal etc. & cars & trucks came out the other end! Loved the Flathead story, first inexpensive mass produced V8 & he & his development guy kept the secret even w the main plant across the street from main plant in Edison original lab & machine shop. All very interesting!
Old 04-02-2020, 02:55 PM   #4
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
Very cool & interesting Henry F Flatty strategy. Long but very interesting!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RB3z1er9Sw

Or was it Edsel's plan? From what I've read over the years Henry was content to keep producing the Model T. And once he agreed to a new model, he wanted no part of using a six cylinder engine because of a bad experience with the Model K. Thus the V8. It's interesting that Ford''s next six, in 1941, could keep up with the V8 and get better mileage.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:07 AM   #5
redmodelt

RE" he wanted no part of using a six cylinder engine because of a bad experience with the Model K." Very untrue. The K was a success and profit per unit allow expansion to produce the T, which is the direction Ford wanted to go anyway, a low cost car for the masses. The Model A was a stop gap while they got the V8 going. Ford said, if it's cylinders they want I will give them 2 more. Among his early race cars there were a couple of 6's and he built a couple of Model N's with 6's as experiments. There was no hate of the 6, it just was not the direction he wanted to go at the time.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:16 PM   #6
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
RE" he wanted no part of using a six cylinder engine because of a bad experience with the Model K." Very untrue. The K was a success and profit per unit allow expansion to produce the T, which is the direction Ford wanted to go anyway, a low cost car for the masses. The Model A was a stop gap while they got the V8 going. Ford said, if it's cylinders they want I will give them 2 more. Among his early race cars there were a couple of 6's and he built a couple of Model N's with 6's as experiments. There was no hate of the 6, it just was not the direction he wanted to go at the time.

Thanks, Red. I was just regurgitating what I read years ago as to why Henry did not have a six in his cars. Made sense at the time, as do a lot of myths (unless you do some research).
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 12:17 PM   #7
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post

A little more to that, Henry could never allow someone else to take the lead. He always, in all things, went his own way. Chevy had the six, Ford would go beyond and then some. Ford understood that in business competition, never just call: always double down and raise to the limit.