Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-10-2017, 05:58 AM   #21
willowbilly3

Default Re: oil filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
I think you may be correct as the oil filter spin-on style conversion kit has a B7A PN Prefix.

All of those '57 FORD's I had and cannot remember...

At a car show, what upsets me (other that a SBC install) is a DIE=HARD BAT, STANT radiator cap and aftermarket plug wires with a genuine CHI-COM 14" open air cleaner.
I usually enjoy the parking lot most at a car show.
willowbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:01 AM   #22
raceron1120

Quote:
At a car show, what upsets me (other that a SBC install) is a DIE=HARD BAT, STANT radiator cap and aftermarket plug wires with a genuine CHI-COM 14" open air cleaner.
Agreed, I'm kind-of the same way. But I'm not paying the Chinese for some of that stuff so whatever. . .

And I just walk away from any Ford with the 5-letter word power plant.

As the saying goes, we can step IN it, or AROUND it.
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:21 PM   #23
KULTULZ

Red face Re: oil filter

Quote:

I think you may be correct as the oil filter spin-on style conversion kit has a B7A PN Prefix.

All of those '57 FORD's I had and cannot remember...
The INSTRUCTION SHEET from the changeover kit indicates some post-1957 applications, especially Light Truck.

I stand corrected once again...

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:28 PM   #24
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceron1120 View Post

Agreed, I'm kind-of the same way. But I'm not paying the Chinese for some of that stuff so whatever. . .

And I just walk away from any Ford with the 5-letter word power plant.

As the saying goes, we can step IN it, or AROUND it.
By CHI-COM, are you referring to some of the newer so-called re-pro parts?

Get this. Go to my local FORD dealer this morning to buy a high cost service replacement part and it is marked MADE IN CHINA.

(Well actually, I shouldn't be surprised as a few years ago I bought a set of MOTORCRAFT Taurus front rotors and they were MADE IN CHINA. But they still charge the same high dollar price).

Just a few more years and it is going to be all over...

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Old 02-03-2018, 03:04 PM   #25
KULTULZ

Post Re: oil filter

WHISTLING THROUGH THE GRAVEYARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford coupe View Post

THANKS GUYS ..I WANT THE MOTORCRAFT AS I WAS UP AGAINST A NICE 55 A COUPLE YRS AGO AT A CAR SHOW AND GOT SECOND SO I ASKED ONE OF THE JUDGES HOW COME THE GUY BEAT ME AND HE SAID TO TAKE THAT fRAM FILTER OFF AND INSTALL A MOTOR CRAFT AND YOU WOULD HAVE WON..Probably bs BUT??

tHANKS AGAIN fORD cOUPE
Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post

The judge at the show should have said to make it correct, to put on the original steel canister with the center bolt and a filter cartridge. I don't think 272's were buitl after 1957, and didn't think spin on filters we used by Ford yet.

Sal
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post

Yep. If the Judge is being picky enough to score your car 'not as correct' because of the brand of oil filter he should have known that a spin-on filter of any brand isn't original on an early Y-block, and scored that item more equally for both cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by willowbilly3 View Post

Maybe I'm wrong but the 272 was available in 57 as was tyhe spin on filter, so a spin on could be correct. As for the Fram on judging, I would cringe a little too on that level of event to see cheapo aftermarket stuff.
A SPIN-ON was available as an option, as was a two stage fuel pump-

-1955 TBIRD OPTIONS LISTING-

Quote:
Full-Flow Oil Filter ($9.15)
Now what gets me is that the judge said MOTORCRAFT, which was not released/available until 1973. It would have had to be decorated (ROTUNDA) of the period.

I am so anal that I could never been a judge. If there was a butt in the ashtray and it had a filter, I would have gigged him...

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 02-03-2018, 03:59 PM   #26
dmsfrr

Quote:
The adapter kit (cartridge to spin-on) is ..... B7A 6882-A .....
With a B7A part number would that mean it became available in '57, wasn't available in '54-'56 ?
Ford coupe mentioned his 272 equipped car being *up against a '55* so I was assuming pre-'57.

(trying to salvage some dignity from my previous 'not on early Y-blocks' reply)

Isn't the oem bolt-on canister filter a 'full flow' style filter???
Meaning; all the output of the oil pump goes thru the filter. Many early/earlier engines had 'bypass' style oil filters. There was a separate oil passage to the filter that filtered just a portion of the total oil flow at any given time.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 02-03-2018 at 05:55 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:08 PM   #27
KULTULZ

Quote:

With a "B7A" part number would that mean it wasn't available in '54 - '56?

Ford coupe mentioned his 272 equipped car being *up against a '55* so I was assuming pre-'57.

(trying to salvage some dignity from my previous 'not on early Y-blocks' reply)

Isn't the oem bolt-on canister filter a 'full flow' style filter???

Meaning; all the output of the oil pump goes thru the filter.

Many early/earlier engines had 'bypass' style oil filters. There was a separate oil passage to the filter that filtered just a portion of the total oil flow at any given time.
Well, No.1, you need not to salvage any dignity as you are most knowledgeable and I have learned quite a bit from you even though I am an old SOB...

I too thought all came through with cartridge style and couldn't remember for the life of me any different until one day I was reading old sales literature. At that point it finally dawned on me why I used to see those with and without.

The B7A is 1957 release but the Basic PN 6882 tells it is a kit rather than actual individual service parts. It made for an easier changeover without having to look-up/locate all the different service parts.

I remember very well the old days of cartridge oil filters and oil bath air cleaners and what a pain they were (My early days were as a Refueling Engineer/Technician).

And yes, during this period, both styles are free flow. The MPC shows the 1957 V8 as the last year for cartridge for PASS CAR, although the cartridge style was picked up again in the early sixties.

And my response was not meant to correct or rag on anyone. Maybe my personal skills need working on ...

OH! Did you see on the Option List a Oil Bath AC?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oil Filter - Cartridge Type _1.jpg (29.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Oil Filter - Cartridge Type _2.jpg (22.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Oiling System _1.jpg (38.9 KB, 7 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 02-03-2018, 07:53 PM   #28
dmsfrr

Quote:
..... Maybe my personal skills need working on ...
???
No problem here. I'm still learning and haven't been working on these things for decades like some other folks. So I'm occasionally cautious with what I think I know. Just had to pick up a fair amount of tech info real quick when I bought a '55 retirement project in late 2012 that 'went south'.

Oil Bath Air Cleaner option in '55 Bird

I thought they were all oil bath til sometime in '57.
There isn't an option price shown, maybe because it normally came that way.

the old days of cartridge oil filters
Around '69/'70 I pumped gas and did oil changes at a Chevron station that had a 1/2 ton '57 Ford for a service truck. It had the original canister filter, as did several other vehicles we serviced regularly. Yes they were annoying.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 02-03-2018 at 11:48 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:28 AM   #29
KULTULZ

Cool Re: oil filter

Quote:

???

No problem here. I'm still learning and haven't been working on these things for decades like some other folks. So I'm occasionally cautious with what I think I know. Just had to pick up a fair amount of tech info real quick when I bought a '55 retirement project in late 2012 that 'went south'.
I enjoy discussing any and all opinions/experiences as we can all learn. I know I have learned greatly as when I was young... ... the Y-BLOCK was discarded so as to keep up with GM and MOPAR Muscle Cars.

Quote:
Oil Bath Air Cleaner option in '55 Bird
Quote:
I thought they were all oil bath til sometime in '57.

There isn't an option price shown, maybe because it normally came that way.
The option was shown (listed) on the ad I posted, but like you say, no price. It is difficult to take FORD AD as fact.

I have never seen one, have one described or is there any reference in the 49/59 MPC FINAL ISSUE (although it has been heavily edited).

The 55 BIRD I had was the dry type. Do you have a photo of an Oil Bath ACL?

Quote:
the old days of cartridge oil filters
Quote:
Around '69/'70 I pumped gas and did oil changes at a Chevron station that had a 1/2 ton '57 Ford for a service truck. It had the original canister filter, as did several other vehicles we serviced regularly. Yes they were annoying.
We must have gotten started about the same time. Oil bath and cartridges were still popular on light and heavy truck.

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 02-04-2018, 02:52 AM   #30
KULTULZ

Red face Re: oil filter

As usual, I stand corrected-

SOURCE- https://www.larrystbird.com/product/...h-t-bird-type/

...never a dull moment around here...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P-9600A.jpg (40.9 KB, 0 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 02-04-2018, 10:05 AM   #31
triumphleroy

In my days as an "REFUELING ENGINEER" I'm remembering the pain of changing the old filter with the bolt through the center was capped with trying to get the old seal at its base dug out of the groove in the block ! More especially when an previous "Technician" had left an old one in there and just put another on top of it! I always felt obligated to do the job correctly no mater how little I made in those days, so always made sure got them both out! Do remember putting in those conversion kits also! Worked at the Holiday Inn Texaco in Dallas from 1956 till 1960 for $.25 / hr.
triumphleroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:42 AM   #32
Charlville

Go with the Motorcraft, read here ref FRAM etc

https://automotiveamerican.com/2017/...-russ-w-knize/
Sporadic progress on My 1929 Sport Coupe can be found here along with my blog
http://automotiveamerican.com/
Charlville is offline   Reply With Quote