Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-09-2010, 06:54 PM   #1
darrenct83

Thumbs down A few questions about my '46 truck

I need a little help from a few of you old timers. I'm a certified auto tech, but I was born in to the fuel injection era so working on my old toy is a whole new ball game to me. I recently bought a 1946 1-1/2 ton Ford with a 226 straight six. I put a little marvel down the cylinders with some brake work, and I was able to bring the old beast back to life. The problem is that I'm so young I don't even know how the thing is supposed to drive. So I have a few questions.

Vibration:
When I rev the engine up the whole truck vibrates. I can only describe it as how an out of balance driveline feels. It vibrates any time the engine is revved up.(in or out of gear, clutch in or out.) Is this normal of these old engines? Are they just not balanced because they don't have to rev high at all? OR do I have something out of balance that needs attention?

Double Clutching:
I've been taught how to double clutch, and slowly but surely I'm getting used to it. Sometimes though it will always grind. Even at a complete stop going in to gear with the clutch in it will grind(Not every time though). Is this normal of old transmissions? OR do I have other problems?

Split rear end:
I try to engage the split rear end when I go above 30 mph. Sometimes while cruising with it engaged it just pops out and I can't get it to go back in. What's the trick? I get nervous every time I use the splitter now. Are there things I need to know about how to use it? Also: how is the speedometer reading affected by use of the splitter?

Thanks in advance for any help. If you want to see pictures of the truck, and read about some of the work I've done to it you can read my blog at:
http://darren.thiesen.us/my-first-farm-truck/
darrenct83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
Brendan

Default Re: A few questions about my '46 truck

i wonder if your clutch is messed up, it should not grind into gear when you are not moving, i had a car that had a bad vibration, i replaced the clutch and pressure plate and the vibration settled down quite a bit, good luck , Brendan
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:18 PM   #3
Stewart

I have a 47 Mercury 1-1/2 ton flat head V8. Shifting gears takes some time to learn. Dificult to get in 2nd at a stop is normal, you must be in exactly right position or the gears will grind. Down shifting is also an art. Engine speed must match the forward speed in the gear selected. Just practice it will come. Started working on these trucks when the were new so have sorrt of got used to their habits good and bad.
Have fun
Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:26 AM   #4
jimTN

Shifting that transmission will take practice. There is no "splitter" in a 46 1 1/2 ton. What you have is an Eaton two speed. It should have a instruction tag on the dash or headerpanel that gives instructions. If it is poping out, you have a vacuum leak either in the diaphram on the rear end, one of the hoses or one of the hose connections. Grab each connection and see if it will move, if so it will leak and cause the rear end to jump out of gear.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:01 AM   #5
darrenct83

I've read the instruction tag, and I can get it to go in and out OK. My big concern is when it pops out. I will check for vacuum leaks in the line and diaphram. I have access to an automotive smoke machine, and it can find any vacuum leaks fast. How does the rear end stay in high gear when the engine is under load and there is no vacuum?
Old 05-10-2010, 11:17 AM   #6
Mick/mo

Maybe I shouldn't even respond to this as I'm not sure ,but I think there is a shifting fork that has a spring that flops over center when it's in either hi or low range. It takes a small amount of force to pull it out of gear.Don't bet to many beers on this . lol
Mick/mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:32 AM   #7
F6Forrest

Check the vacuum to the speedo if it applies to yours.
Mine will "pop" out of high because of leaks,
downshifting is a matter of blipbing the throttle so it doesn't grind.

Double clutching is a learned art, requires a lot of practice.
Enjoy, the big ones are a hoot!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg argus 014.jpg (88.5 KB, 8 views)
F6Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:41 AM   #8
boman5

Eaton 2 speeds are spring loaded to low and air/vacuum to high. the sliding clutch is torque locked into the high speed clutch plate in high range. the sliding clutch teeth may just be worn out causing your slipout.
boman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:55 PM   #9
darrenct83

Thanks for the info on the rear end. Anyone have any thoughts about the engine vibration? I'm hoping it's normal for the old monster to vibrate at "higher" RPMs, but I'd like to hear it from someone who knows these old trucks better than me.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:15 PM   #10
Henry/Kokomo

Is it possible there is a vacuum leak causing the engine to miss and vibrate? Might be related to the 2 speed slipping out of gear? I've driven a number of the bigger trucks in years past and never noticed a severe vibration at speed. I'm sure there are others on here with more experience. Maybe they'll weigh in on this topic. With practice, you can shift the truck, up and down, with little or no use of the clutch except when stopping. Good Luck
Henry/Kokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:31 AM   #11
Kurt in NJ

The rear can drop out if there is a vacuum leak (look at the speedo changer diaphram), the trans is spur gears, no syncros, it is important to have thick enough oil in there , I used to use 140 weight, you will clash them sometimes, with practice you will get better.
I used to have a 46 V8 truck with the 2 speed rear for Hershey, and other flea markets that we sold at, I put in a 49 Merc engine, it was a miracle, could climb any hill --and the wipers stayed working (vac pump on the fuel pump)---it also had the heavy grille guard --that and the dual straight pipes would keep most intersections cleared, and slow cars in the right lane usually moved over whern they looked in the mirror.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote