Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-03-2012, 12:02 AM   #41
40 Deluxe

Default Re: marvel mystery oil

Don't know that it really washes down cylinder walls. In '53 my uncles (3 batchelors) bought a new Ford flathead V8. They always used MMO in both gas tank and crankcase. This was a time when valve jobs at 50,000 miles or less were common, and rings were worn out before 90-100,000 miles. A ridge reamer was always needed to remove the pistons due to upper cylinder wear. This car went well over 100,000 miles and never had the heads off. It then started smoking and using oil. They tore it down and found a wrist pin keeper had broken and the pin gouged into the cylinder wall in one cylinder. The others were smooth and had hardly any ridge at the top so very little wear (usually a '50's engine had .012" to .020" taper by 100,000 miles). All the valves looked good; none were burned. The crankshaft was still standard.
This car sat outside in Minnesota winters so had to start on -30 deg. mornings, which is a sure recipe for washed-down cylinder walls and oil dilution. So, again, I find the cylinder-washing theory a little far-fetched!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:53 AM   #42
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffer View Post
Looks like Jeff is gettin drunk off this stuff . And it seems also good for oil and gas togeather. I don't see any bad things from all the members, so i'll give it a try.Thank you all for the info.
bob
Duffer,
Knew an old car painter who laced his shop coffee with about?? 1/8 teaspoon of lacquer thinner No, he didn't smoke! Bill W.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:28 AM   #43
Terry, NJ

I only use MMO in the crankcase, a couple of days before oil changes in my cars. I don't like what it may be doing to the oil's viscosity. MMO is basically a solvent. However, the modern injectors in my Saab and VW TDI, and my Ford truck are kept clean. I knew a guy, from the internet, who had been a aerospace engineer for Boeing. He used to tell me about Torqueing 12" nuts, to 8000 lbs and other esoteric stuff like that. We met on "Yesterdays Tractors". It was "Dell" that told me about MMO. Up until then, I always thought MMO was just another phoney additive
only suckers believed in. The inclusion of the word "Mystery" in the name was enough to turn up my flames of scepticism. Experience has shown me to have been wrong. In fact, MMO was the only additive that he endorsed. Being an engineer, he was more discerning than most people and he thought all additives were just a waste of petro chemicals, except MMO.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:05 AM   #44
Safari-wagon

I toss a couple oz in every time I tank up. I seem to have less vapor-locking issues on hot, humid days.

I have one of the old MMO Oilers that were sold in the 50's. Uses vacuum to draw a bit of oil into the cylinders as you run down the road. This device purportedly stops carbon build up & increases mileage.

Who knows? I just think it's kind of cool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 08 AutoramaEngineShot.jpg (86.4 KB, 119 views)
Safari-wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:58 AM   #45
P.S.

And I got hassled for adding some ProLong to the crankcase once... Added some to the gearbox also and it made an instant difference. Shifting was smoother, gearbox got quiet, and temp went down.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #46
kingbee

Send a message via AIM to kingbee
Default Cure for vapor lock?

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I don't think so. In a search for a cure, I insulated my carb, sediment bowl and fuel line, to no avail. Tried using 2 oz. of MMO per gallon of gas as a last resort.

Unfortunately, it was NO help whatsoever. I had to wait the usual 45 minutes to get started again.
kingbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #47
P.S.

Mine has only vapor locked once. I still got it started (barely) using some choke, just couldn't let the motor slow down at all.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #48
Duffy1

kingbee ;
Let me know when/how you solve the vapor lock problem . I have the same problem and have done everything you have done except adding MM .
Duffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:09 PM   #49
J Franklin

Kingbee, it's 4oz. to ten gallons! not 20oz.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #50
kingbee

If 20 oz didn't help, there's no way 4 oz would....
Old 09-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #51
California Charlie

After removing my 33 Chevy motor spark plugs, squirting some of that Marvel Mystery Oil down the cylinders and waiting a week with a prayer each night, I went to start my 33 Chevy with a somewhat stuck motor. I first managed to free the motor with a hand crank this morning (I now call it a foot crank because I had to jump up and down on the hand crank to break the engine loose) , and then with using the starter motor the motor turned over freely. Of course I ran it with white smoke coming out of the exhaust system for a few seconds, but the engine soon stopped smoking and was purring like a kitten after a while. That stuff has my seal of approval. CC
California Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:24 AM   #52
BILL WILLIAMSON

Is there a SNAKE that produces OIL? We could make a fortune!$$$$$$
Chief called ALL penetrating oils, "PANTHER P*SS." He also said, "If you "THINK" they work, then they do!"
John Cochran,
I think I'll pretend to take a pain pill, go to bed, and see if I feel better?? Why was pain invented?? Or why flies & mosquitos?? Why weren't we just equipped with like a check engine light, labeled, "PAIN!" I would have paid extra for that OPTION!
I used to dig antique bottles, why did they quit makin' some of those miraculous cures?
When Chief had his BAD heart attack that almost "PUT OUT HIS LIGHTS, all he did in the I.C. unit was complain about his painful ingrown TOE NAIL! He even asked if they would cut his toe off! Maybe MMO would have helped?? Bill W.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:09 AM   #53
steve s

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Charlie View Post
After removing my 33 Chevy motor spark plugs, squirting some of that Marvel Mystery Oil down the cylinders and waiting a week with a prayer each night, I went to start my 33 Chevy with a somewhat stuck motor. I first managed to free the motor with a hand crank this morning (I now call it a foot crank because I had to jump up and down on the hand crank to break the engine loose) , and then with using the starter motor the motor turned over freely. Of course I ran it with white smoke coming out of the exhaust system for a few seconds, but the engine soon stopped smoking and was purring like a kitten after a while. That stuff has my seal of approval. CC
Sorry to interject a downer into your success, but white smoke usually means antifreeze in the combustion chamber, which would also explain why pistons were frozen. Maybe a cracked head or leaking gasket? Any kind of lubricant or penetrant would have helped free things up.
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #54
steve s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy1 View Post
kingbee ;
Let me know when/how you solve the vapor lock problem . I have the same problem and have done everything you have done except adding MM .
After trying all of the insulation techniques, heat shields, additives, new carburetors, and new ignition systems, here's what cured it for me:

There have been several extensive threads on vapor lock, which you can find by searching the archives. They can get a bit testy; like women's pms, those who have never experienced it personally tend to view those who claim to have had the problem as wacky.

Steve
Old 09-04-2012, 09:55 AM   #55
Duffy1

Steve ;

Thanks for the response . I guess I am a little slow on the uptake . What did cure your VL problem ? Is it the new carb in the picture , It sounded like in the text that you tried a new carb and that did not help . I guess I missed something .
Duffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:00 AM   #56
Tom Wesenberg

Using only the good gas without corn crap is what curred my vapor lock problems.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:06 AM   #57
1952henry

Some of the various units produced to introduce it to the manifold. Three of those pictured are NOS as is a Shaler (similiar to the Allstate) that is not pictured.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #58
steve s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy1 View Post
Steve ;

Thanks for the response . I guess I am a little slow on the uptake . What did cure your VL problem ? Is it the new carb in the picture , It sounded like in the text that you tried a new carb and that did not help . I guess I missed something .
Sorry, you're right--I wasn't very clear. I meant other new carbs besides the 13922 pictured, that includes numerous rebuilds of Zenith A & B carbs, plus the brand new Zenith 1 reproduction. The latter was much better than any rebuilds I tried.

I'm not certain how the 13922 works its magic. There is no doubt that vaporization can occur in the sedimentation bowl and fuel line, and most likely that it also occurs in the carb too. Somehow the 13922 is able to pass along the vapor bubbles without them hanging up or causing a problem--vapor without the lock, I guess.

Steve
Old 09-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #59
kingbee

Does anyone know if adding an electric fuel pump would help with the VL problem?
Old 09-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #60
duffer

1952Henry,

Love the old stuff in the picture.

Bob
duffer is offline   Reply With Quote