Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-31-2020, 06:33 PM   #21
jrelliott

Default Re: Logical Decision Thought

Mine was a complete basket case that had been parked somewhere around 1957 as per license plate in a pole barn in MN. I purchased in 2000 after previous owner had disassembled. No fenders, hood, radiator, bumpers and interior a total mess.01 Model A as purchased 2.jpg
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 04:17 PM   #22
Farrell In Vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrisch View Post
When or what influences a Model A owner to completely rebuild their car (frame off) restoration or just repaint, upholstery and update all essential drive gear, besides the large differences in money? I just bought a ‘28 Sport Coupe and it is in good solid condition and runs really good. I’m trying to make a financial and logical decision.
Now you'll find out why some of us have two or more!
One to drive and one to fix on.
Either way enjoy the ride!
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:22 PM   #23
David R.

My AA would likely have been parted out if I hadn’t taken it on. I got it real cheap, but it will need everything done. I often think I bit off more than I can chew, but I am enjoying working on it. The engine is apart now almost ready to go to machine shop and then to babbit man.
David R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 01:25 PM   #24
40 Deluxe

Here's another aspect of "restoration" or keeping it "period correct", and that is the original purpose of the Model A. Maybe we could 'restore' our minds to 1929-'31 thinking! If we lived back then, why would we buy that Model A? Just to park it in the barn and try to preserve it in 'day one' condition? Not likely! That new A was our servant! We would have driven it almost every day without second thought. If we could afford it, we maintained it in top condition mechanically, but it would gradually accumulate scratches, dings, and faded paint.
So you see, if we 'restore' our minds to 1930's thinking, the result is keeping our A's as daily drivers, not 'trailer queens'!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 01:53 AM   #25
RB_Nielsen

I purchased a basket case with the intent of doing the restoration myself, and with the consent of my wife purchased tools and took evening school classes instead of paying a professional. This approach worked very well because it allowed time for reasonably meeting hobby expenses AND at the same time picking up invaluable skills like welding. I enjoyed spending time disassembling discreet components one at a time - figuring out how they worked - making repairs - then putting them back together. What I would have given for a Les Andrews book back then. Things seldom went well the first time but to me it was all just part of the hobby, and I relish the knowledge gained. Because I traveled a lot for work, I was able to visit local junk yards along with other hobbyists who sold me much needed parts. The horn was assembled from parts obtained in three different states. It's been a fun ride and a much needed diversion to a demanding vocation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2815.jpg (86.3 KB, 12 views)
RB_Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 11:59 AM   #26
DBrer

I think it's neat to look at an original car with the old faded paint and unrestored condition. If the car could only talk and tell us its history.
DBrer is offline   Reply With Quote