Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-11-2017, 03:39 PM   #1
albertaboy

Default 40 Ford pickup vrs panel truck

If theres a thread discussing this, i cant find it.
are 40 Ford pick up, front fenders and running boards interchangeable??
Direct me or link me to a thread if you can and save starting another... ?

Thanks
albertaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:25 PM   #2
albertaboy

Default Re: 40 Ford pickup vrs panel truck

Looks like the panel truck had the 122in wheel base, so that answers my running board question. I still can't find if the front fenders differed and I wonder about the hood. There is lots of discussion about the differences between truck and car sheet metal....
Old 11-11-2017, 06:55 PM   #3
Fordors

There was a 112” Panel, same front sheet metal and running boards as the pickup. Ford considered those Commercial Cars, as they were on the same chassis as the passenger cars. The 1 Ton vehicles were called Trucks by Ford and those were built on a 122” or longer wheelbase. Ford Truck models had a different grille, front sheet metal and running boards.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:13 PM   #4
albertaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordors View Post
There was a 112” Panel, same front sheet metal and running boards as the pickup. Ford considered those Commercial Cars, as they were on the same chassis as the passenger cars. The 1 Ton vehicles were called Trucks by Ford and those were built on a 122” or longer wheelbase. Ford Truck models had a different grille, front sheet metal and running boards.
I think that's where my research gets confused-what I think of a "pickup" ford called it a "commerical" throws me off every time.
I appreciate your information.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:04 PM   #5
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertaboy View Post
I think that's where my research gets confused-what I think of a "pickup" ford called it a "commerical" throws me off every time.
I appreciate your information.
albertaboy...Pick-ups back in the day were not nearly as accepted for "personal" transportation like they are today......hence, Ford differentiated them by categorizing their usual livery as "commercial", rather than "passenger car". There were enough differences to warrant doing so.

Below is a drawing (on the bottom) of the differences between 1940 passenger, and pick-up fenders.

Look at the pale yellow-enhanced, formed spear that is stamped into the side of the hood on this '40 pick-up. It continues rearward to meet-up with the wider, stamped horizontal spear which is stamped into the pick-up door. The '40 passenger doors and hoods DO NOT have this feature stamped into them. Also note the difference in the shape between the two hoods (passenger and commercial) at the rear where it fits the cowl on the side between door and hood.......totally different hoods. Hope this helps ya. DD

One more pick-up pic to help you see the horizontal, STAMPED feature in door and hood, not found on passenger cars, below.

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 04:33 PM   #6
GB SISSON

I have a '47 122" tonner panel. I used a front clip from a 1 1/2 ton stakebed and everything was perfect. Nothing from a 1/2 ton pickup or panel will work on your tonner. Your tonner has totally different front sheet metal than a pickup. One of the many good things about our 122" panels is that front fenders, grilles etc are the same as used on the big trucks. The big trucks have very little value and often they are stripped for their cab and the rest left behind. The fenders for a 40-41 big truck are unique and there is little demand, so you should be able to find them. One thing I found about 122" running boards for the panel is that the passenger side has the same part # as the tonner pickup, while the drivers side is unique to the panel. Why? Because there is a hole for the gas fill pipe, which isn't needed in the pickup as tank is under the seat. The hole isn't visible from above, so it's easy to make on a pickup running board. I'm afraid the running boards will be hard to find in good condition.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:09 PM   #7
albertaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
albertaboy...Pick-ups back in the day were not nearly as accepted for "personal" transportation like they are today......hence, Ford differentiated them by categorizing their usual livery as "commercial", rather than "passenger car". There were enough differences to warrant doing so.

Below is a drawing (on the bottom) of the differences between 1940 passenger, and pick-up fenders.

Look at the pale yellow-enhanced, formed spear that is stamped into the side of the hood on this '40 pick-up. It continues rearward to meet-up with the wider, stamped horizontal spear which is stamped into the pick-up door. The '40 passenger doors and hoods DO NOT have this feature stamped into them. Also note the difference in the shape between the two hoods (passenger and commercial) at the rear where it fits the cowl on the side between door and hood.......totally different hoods. Hope this helps ya. DD

One more pick-up pic to help you see the horizontal, STAMPED feature in door and hood, not found on passenger cars, below.

Much appreciate the info. I left a fender and running board at a salvage yard as they were marked "panel" on them. Being unsure they'd fit my "commercial" truck. I'll take this information and go have another look. Thanks again.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:13 PM   #8
GB SISSON

They should work as long as they are from a 122" panel. So you are working bon a '40 tonner PU? WE need a photo or three.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 11-13-2017, 12:57 PM   #9
albertaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
They should work as long as they are from a 122" panel. So you are working bon a '40 tonner PU? WE need a photo or three.
I'm working on a "commerical" car(?) 112 wheel base What Henry Ford didn't want to call a pick up or truck. Not a "panel" .
This is my build on the HAMB. I post the build there as my restoration will have mods and wont be 100% stock. '51 Merc flathead, T5 5 speed , parallel leafs, 8in diff are planned.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...-build.989632/
Old 11-13-2017, 01:06 PM   #10
GB SISSON

Sorry, I miss read your second post. So the fender and rb were from a 122" panel. I get it now. Neither will work on your 1/2 ton.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:00 PM   #11
Mart

I read your thread. Isn't it just a normal 1940 half ton pickup? That's what you are calling it on the build thread.

Looks like you are making good progress. I'm working on one myself, so I know what you are up against.

Would it be worthwhile using part of the 40 frame so the serial number matches?

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:09 PM   #12
albertaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
I read your thread. Isn't it just a normal 1940 half ton pickup? That's what you are calling it on the build thread.

Looks like you are making good progress. I'm working on one myself, so I know what you are up against.

Would it be worthwhile using part of the 40 frame so the serial number matches?

Mart.

Haha. Yes, I call it a truck or a pick up but apparently Ford didn't. Going by what fordors and v8coopman wrote, researching by "truck" gives specs based on 122 in wheelbase models and not the 112 inch "commercial" that we all think of as a "pick up".

Regarding the 40 frame and serial #. I've certainly thought the same but I've no frame table to ensure a splice goes straight and true. I'm still thinking about a solution though. Also keeping my eye open for another.