Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-18-2017, 05:08 AM   #1
Pat Martone

Default What is that slight whirring sound I hear when the clutch pedal is pressed?

I took my Model A out for the first time this season a few days ago, and heard for the first time, a subtle but noticeable whirring or light spinning sound when the clutch pedal was pressed in. Is this something to be concerned about? (I know that I greased the throw-out bearing via the grease fitting last summer and haven't logged many miles since.) Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Pat Martone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:36 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: What is that slight whirring sound I hear when the clutch pedal is pressed?

It is likely the throw-out bearing as you suggested. Likely flat spotted when it was installed onto the carrier. Also, chances are it is a sealed bearing so I doubt the grease is going to help. Personally, I would run it as-is as long as it is not screeching (locking up) as the worst case damage is it begins to wear the fingers on the clutch.

As a side note, it is a good practice to get in to by releasing the clutch whenever it is unnecessary to depress it. For example, at a traffic light, it is not the best practice to sit thru the light with the clutch depressed as this puts wear & pressure on the rear main bearing thrust. As the babbitt wears in that area, it allows the crankshaft to have more end-play. Excessive end play generally causes the rear main to drip oil. The best method is to use the clutch to place the transmission in neutral, and sit thru the light with the trans out of gear and the clutch pedal released. A few moments before the light changes to green, depress the clutch while quickly moving the gear selector to Hi followed by a quick shift into Low gear, and there will be very little, -to any gear mesh noise. Then accelerate as normal.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:37 AM   #3
SeaSlugs

Default Re: What is that slight whirring sound I hear when the clutch pedal is pressed?

was the car in neutral? Do a test: Start car, press clutch and then putthe gear lever in any gear. Is your whirring noise there? Then do the same but in neutral.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:18 AM   #4
midgetracer

Great advice Brent. It seems so logical, I don't know why I never thought of doing it before. Thank You.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:12 AM   #5
Y-Blockhead

X2 on Brent's advice. I didn't know about the shifting to Hi then low trick. I'm going to try it. My Town Sedan is 'difficult' to get into first occasionally.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 03:05 PM   #6
1928Pickuppain

Even in modern standards if your syncros are warn and your having trouble getting it in first pop it in third before first
1928Pickuppain is offline   Reply With Quote