Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-15-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
duffer

Default brake nut question

How tight should i tighten the nut on my wheel? I greased the bearings and cleaned everything good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_3195.jpg (51.0 KB, 20 views)
duffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: brake nut question

Duffer, Ideas/thoughts/manufacturer's specs will abound! I, personally, torque them to 5 to 10 Ft Lbs. There should be NO free play in order to keep them from "wobbling" around & causing the hub races from "eating" up the hubs & also to keep the toe in stable. Think of the weight & stresses that depend on the bearings being adjusted properly. Bill W.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
Patrick L.

All I do is spin the drum while tightening with pliers until snug, then back the nut off until the cotter can slide thru the first castle and hole.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:05 PM   #4
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
All I do is spin the drum while tightening with pliers until snug, then back the nut off until the cotter can slide thru the first castle and hole.
Patrick,
If doing it that way, I would at LEAST go 1 hole tighter to allow for "settling" in & for the minute wear that normally occurs. Bill W.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:11 PM   #5
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Patrick,
If doing it that way, I would at LEAST go 1 hole tighter to allow for "settling" in & for the minute wear that normally occurs. Bill W.
i agree dad but have been through this debate before on the barn and was overruled. i still do it my way and have never lost a wheel or smoked a bearing

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 07-15-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #6
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Duffer, Ideas/thoughts/manufacturer's specs will abound! I, personally, torque them to 5 to 10 Ft Lbs. There should be NO free play in order to keep them from "wobbling" around & causing the hub races from "eating" up the hubs & also to keep the toe in stable. Think of the weight & stresses that depend on the bearings being adjusted properly. Bill W.
and agree
Old 07-15-2013, 12:33 PM   #7
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
i agree dad but have been through this debate before on the barn and was overruled. i still do it my way and have never lost a wheel or smoked a bearing
YEP! Well let everyone do it their OWN way, it's NOT MY Car
A proper wheel bearing packing, using ONLY quality high temp disc brake grease is good for 30,000 miles, with a re-adjustment at about 15,000 miles. I hope I live for 30,000 miles longer!
Bill W. (Dad)
Old 07-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
BILL WILLIAMSON

Confession: When I ran my own shop, I "lost" 2 sets of wheel bearingsin a row, when I ran out of HIGH TEMP DISC BRAKE GREASE while waiting for an order from my oil company. Ran down to Mickey Mouse parts house & grabbed a small can of "ACME"?? all purpose?? bearing grease. Both cars came back later with a constant WHIRRR sound. All the races had minute circular "pot holes"! And I lost an outer front wheel bearing on a '59 Studebaker Lark I had bought because I procrastinated too long before packing the bearings. It didn't "smoke", it just went, SCREEEECH & seized the outer cone to the spindle +*%#^$ Bill W.
Scares me when some say they even use "all-purpose" grease or even chassis grease for wheel bearings!
I'm not a rookie at this, I've seen a LOT of WEIRD stuff happen in my long/screwy "career"!
Just use ONLY a HIGH QUALITY, HIGH TEMP, DISC BRAKE GREASE, torque them to 5 Ft Lbs & you're SAFE!
Bill W.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:33 PM   #9
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Duffer,

Never lost a bearing either, & also over 50 years ago was always told that a tiny amount of loose play was better than very tight.

Then after reading so many different tightening methods, I called Timken Bearing Co. several years ago & asked for a technical engineer to explain how to tighten Model A front wheel bearings.

FWIW: He said that:

1. If one tightens these conical bearings too much, the bearing races will begin to constantly rotate in the hubs until they get loose & can fall out. Then with loose races the hubs become loose.

2. He reiterated that these races are designed to be an "interference" fit; e.g. not tight enough to where they cannot rotate, but loose enough to rotate very slightly "on rare occasions"; but not loose enough to fall out and/or rotate constantly.

3. After properly installing the hub & tightening the nut, the in & out movement of the hub should be approximately seven thousanths (0.007) of an inch & that a very, very tight fit with absolutely no in & out movement can wear bearings & races in a short period & become a disaster.

After greasing the bearings, 0.007" movement in & out appears difficult to "feel", so if one wants to be about as accurate as a dentist making a crown for a tooth, one can use a dial caliper to measure 0.007" .............. Each to his own for accuracy.

Because the castellated nut always appears to be too tight for one cotter pin slot, & too loose for the other cotter pin slot, I ground down the back side of the nut with a grinder until it appeared to be positioned correctly when the cotter pin was inserted, then marked the nut's slot with typewriter correction white paint.

Amazing how long this white paint will last on a black painted nut -- furthermore, one does not have to later guess where to re-set the nut slot with respect to the cotter pin hole.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 07-15-2013 at 06:41 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:43 PM   #10
RonC

This is how Ford specified wheel bearing adjustment in the Jan and April 1928 Service Bulletins

Adjusting Front Wheel Bearing

If there is excessive play in the bearing it can be adjusted as follows: Remove wheel. Withdraw cotter key and tighten adjusting nut until the hub just starts to bind. Then back off the adjusting nut one or two notches until the hub can be freely revolved. Before replacing the wheel, be sure to insert cotter key in adjusting nut.

Important Information on Front Wheel Bearing Adjustment

1. See that front hub, inner and outer bearings are packed with grease.

2. Front hub grease retainer and lock washer should slide over threads on spindle body with fingers (loose fit).

3. Install nut, tighten same so that all component parts are pulled together snugly; that is, inner and outer bearings will be snug in cones, lock washer tight against roller bearing, and nut tight against lock washer. Grasp drum at top and bottom, apply side strain; see that bearings are tight in wheel hub with no side play. (A slight drag will be noticeable when drum is turned.) Not over eight or ten pounds' pressure is required on speed wrench to get these results.

4. Turn nut back two castle slots (this is approximately 1/4 turn of nut); insert cotter pin and try bearings for a slight side play and a free spinning wheel.
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:09 PM   #11
BILL WILLIAMSON

H.L,
Was this Timken Engineer an ooold engineer that had collected info from "old wives" & old Model A guys that may be steeped with inaccurate info? TOO TIGHT is a keyword here. 5 Ft Lbs torque is NOT too tight & will NOT cause races to spin inside the hubs, that is the job of the rollers & the grease to prevent that! What about the pre-load on diff carriers??? Bill W.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:14 PM   #12
john in illinois

I have learned from experience that Bill and Mitch have the right idea. I keep a preload on the tapered front bearings like the pinion bearings,But it sure isn't a popular idea. Worked for me for 17,000 mostly highway miles.

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:16 PM   #13
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC View Post
This is how Ford specified wheel bearing adjustment in the Jan and April 1928 Service Bulletins

Adjusting Front Wheel Bearing

If there is excessive play in the bearing it can be adjusted as follows: Remove wheel. Withdraw cotter key and tighten adjusting nut until the hub just starts to bind. Then back off the adjusting nut one or two notches until the hub can be freely revolved. Before replacing the wheel, be sure to insert cotter key in adjusting nut.

Important Information on Front Wheel Bearing Adjustment

1. See that front hub, inner and outer bearings are packed with grease.

2. Front hub grease retainer and lock washer should slide over threads on spindle body with fingers (loose fit).

3. Install nut, tighten same so that all component parts are pulled together snugly; that is, inner and outer bearings will be snug in cones, lock washer tight against roller bearing, and nut tight against lock washer. Grasp drum at top and bottom, apply side strain; see that bearings are tight in wheel hub with no side play. (A slight drag will be noticeable when drum is turned.) Not over eight or ten pounds' pressure is required on speed wrench to get these results.

4. Turn nut back two castle slots (this is approximately 1/4 turn of nut); insert cotter pin and try bearings for a slight side play and a free spinning wheel.
RonC,
We've learned a lot since these procedures were written in 1928. 5 Ft Lbs of torque is NOT a lot!
The above procedure is quite reasonable, EXCEPT for backing off the nut by 2 castellations. Bill W.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #14
Mitch//pa
BANNED

personally i dont actually use a torque wrench its a feel thing with a waterpump pliers but it ends with no end pay and a very slight preload...
the last time i called for tech assistance i got a person from the other side of the world and had to hang up because of the language barrier...
Old 07-15-2013, 07:53 PM   #15
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by john in illinois View Post
I have learned from experience that Bill and Mitch have the right idea. I keep a preload on the tapered front bearings like the pinion bearings,But it sure isn't a popular idea. Worked for me for 17,000 mostly highway miles.

John
John, Do all the folks in Illinois have good common sense, such as you exhibit? If so, I may move there!
Relax, everyone, I'm through HARPIN' about wheel bearing adjustment & SAFETY! If I had stayed off the Internet today, I could have finished & been driving Vermin by now, DANG! Bill W.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:55 PM   #16
Kurt in NJ

The method I have used aftert experimenting with many of the methods in shop man using torque wrenches---dial indicators etc. it comes out the same as the "fancy" methods---
If the castle nut moves easy on the threads with fingers ---tighten with wrench,or pliers while spinning drum(seats bearing), back off nut till "loose", tighten as tight as you can get it with 2 fingers while spinning drum, back off to first alignment of cotter pin hole

Never give in to the urge to "just a little tighter, the pin holes almost line up"
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:07 PM   #17
BILL WILLIAMSON

One LAST remark (I promise!)
To those who DON'T believe in a little pre-load, I ask, "What did you do as a trade"? Bill W.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #18
Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
The method I have used aftert experimenting with many of the methods in shop man using torque wrenches---dial indicators etc. it comes out the same as the "fancy" methods---
If the castle nut moves easy on the threads with fingers ---tighten with wrench,or pliers while spinning drum(seats bearing), back off nut till "loose", tighten as tight as you can get it with 2 fingers while spinning drum, back off to first alignment of cotter pin hole

Never give in to the urge to "just a little tighter, the pin holes almost line up"
Kurt is right .
Old 07-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #19
Bob C

I don't know if the guys a Timken know anything but here is
a link to there instructions. http://www.timken.com/en-us/solution...gs_English.pdf

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:03 PM   #20
H. L. Chauvin

Bill,

In my message above, I have no idea if the Timken Engineer's wife was very old or young, or if she was nice looking -- I even did not ask if he was married. or if he had a mechanically inclined dog. LOL

I think in my mentioning above, "FWIW" & "Each to his own", this type of open suggestion & guidance appears to work well with everyone's intentions over which we have no control.

"Each to his own" can work from what one feels he wants to eat for breakfast all the way through deciding who one wants to sleeps with at night -- then some nights, one may not even want to sleep -- that is OK with me too!

Many would agree that Mr. Timken's mentioning the expression "too tight" has many different meanings.

Hope this explanation helps to unravel Mr. Timken's advice.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 07-15-2013 at 09:04 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote