Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-03-2016, 07:43 PM   #1
SeaSlugs

Default For those attending Hershey

Reading all the posts about Hershey has got me excited and I'm not even going (not enough vacation time from new job). Its about a 12 hour drive from my house.

I've been going to IOLA and got a routine figured out for that place and accommodations but never been to Hershey and have alot of questions:

Best places to sleep and price (if you dont mind) - I know some stay in RV's some tent camp some use motel/hotel. I have a tent and can do that, I can make a sleeping area in the back of my truck with a topper, or I can get a hotel room. Plus/Minus of each? Whens the earliest one can start booking hotel rooms? Do you stay in Hershey or nearby and drive?

Getting around: I've walked all over IOLA dragging my boulder (4 wheel cart) - can usually do the swapmeet area in about 10-11 hours.(beer and cheese curd powered!) I've heard bicycles are allowed at Hershey - whats the rules on that?

I imagine all the restaurants and such around are packed at night - am I right?

Anything else one should know or any advice for a Hershey newbie? I know alot of you have been going longer than ive been on this planet haha
Old 10-03-2016, 07:58 PM   #2
phonconn

Default Re: For those attending Hershey

WEll you can just about go any way you want. I lot of guys stay in their swap spots but if you don't have a swap spot then you are in a camping area. I choose to find a flee bag hotel for around $100 and the prices double or more during the meet. If you can do Iola in a day you can do Hershey in three full days. I always started on my bike and begin on Tuesday AM and go to any new vendor as they arrive. By Wednesday no bikes or anything you can ride. The restaurants are crowded but we always find a nice place to go for dinner so no problems there. The further you stay away from Hershey the better and cheaper the hotels. You can stay in Carlyle and get a nice hotel for $100 or less but have a 35-40 minute drive each way. Best to share the ride with someone and then you can bunk with them as well and save some money on hotels. You cannot really cover Hershey before the vendors begin to pack up and leave. I have begun in the Red field and then try to begin the Chocolate field. Second day(thurs) I try to finish Chocolate and Chocolate Annex and off to Green field but is usually late. Third day is Green field and Orange and they are packing up around noon so for me I have never completed the whole thing even beginning on Tuesday.
The Chocolate Field is the richest in Model A parts but often the deals are with those vendors who don't have Model a parts but do have a piece or two that they are not aware of value. Green field is next and then the Red field has a lot of old Model A guys and between the Chocolate and Red you can usually find anything Model A but maybe not the deals.
If you have any specific questions I will try to answer them. I am not going this year as I don't need anything to complete any of my four restorations but I have been going for many years up until the past 4 years or so.
Best,
Dan Bixby in Kansas City
Put a week aside the last week of June for the MARC national meet in Branson, Missouri and come let us show you some real Model A fun.
phonconn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 05:19 AM   #3
Ed Saniewski

Dan, did you mean the National Membership Meet?

Model A Pick Up Owners and Enthusiasts
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/group.php?groupid=5
Ed Saniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:20 PM   #4
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Saniewski View Post
Dan, did you mean the National Membership Meet?
NOPE the MARC NATIONAL for 2018 "A DANCIN IN BRANSON IN 18"!!
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:50 AM   #5
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonconn View Post
WEll you can just about go any way you want. I lot of guys stay in their swap spots but if you don't have a swap spot then you are in a camping area. I choose to find a flee bag hotel for around $100 and the prices double or more during the meet. If you can do Iola in a day you can do Hershey in three full days. I always started on my bike and begin on Tuesday AM and go to any new vendor as they arrive. By Wednesday no bikes or anything you can ride. The restaurants are crowded but we always find a nice place to go for dinner so no problems there. The further you stay away from Hershey the better and cheaper the hotels. You can stay in Carlyle and get a nice hotel for $100 or less but have a 35-40 minute drive each way. Best to share the ride with someone and then you can bunk with them as well and save some money on hotels. You cannot really cover Hershey before the vendors begin to pack up and leave. I have begun in the Red field and then try to begin the Chocolate field. Second day(thurs) I try to finish Chocolate and Chocolate Annex and off to Green field but is usually late. Third day is Green field and Orange and they are packing up around noon so for me I have never completed the whole thing even beginning on Tuesday.
The Chocolate Field is the richest in Model A parts but often the deals are with those vendors who don't have Model a parts but do have a piece or two that they are not aware of value. Green field is next and then the Red field has a lot of old Model A guys and between the Chocolate and Red you can usually find anything Model A but maybe not the deals.
If you have any specific questions I will try to answer them. I am not going this year as I don't need anything to complete any of my four restorations but I have been going for many years up until the past 4 years or so.
Best,
Dan Bixby in Kansas City
Put a week aside the last week of June for the MARC national meet in Branson, Missouri and come let us show you some real Model A fun.
all good info, thanks! Yea I find the best deals from those guys that have a handful of everything including A parts that dont know what they are worth or B they do but just want it gone.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:00 AM   #6
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSlugs View Post
all good info, thanks! Yea I find the best deals from those guys that have a handful of everything including A parts that dont know what they are worth or B they do but just want it gone.
Those days and those people are getting fewer and far in between! More often than not the seller knows more than the buyer. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:18 AM   #7
captndan

The worst thing about tent camping is when you have to pee at three in the morning.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:39 AM   #8
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captndan View Post
The worst thing about tent camping is when you have to pee at three in the morning.
The price you pay for cheaping out! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 02:46 PM   #9
SeaSlugs

Thats what bottles are for - or stumble outside and pick a tree haha.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:18 PM   #10
SeaSlugs

Does anyone have any pics from the swapmeet area?
Old 10-07-2016, 12:22 PM   #11
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSlugs View Post
Does anyone have any pics from the swapmeet area?
I only took this one on Thursday,,, just went for the day
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (83.3 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 10-07-2016 at 01:07 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:11 PM   #12
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
I only took this one on Thursday,,, just went for the day

.................................. .....

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote