Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-05-2014, 08:34 AM   #21
V8 Bob

Default Re: Hanging flatheads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49fordv8f4 View Post
That photo is actually in the book Ford at Fifty. It was taken at the Atlanta assembly plant. I posted this same photo on FTE wondering about the engine colors. The orange engines are for the '53 passenger car, the green ones are '53 for trucks. I wondered too what the piece was bolted to the half bell.
Mark
The '53 truck engines were unique as they used a new stepped rear sump oil pan without a clean-out. The bell housings were full size (instead of 3") and had angled frame mounts to complete the new F-100 3-point mounting system using a center front mount. The pictured engines are pre-'53.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:58 AM   #22
38 coupe

I also posted a reply about this picture over at the FTE forum. All engines in this picture are correct for 1952 Ford production. The car engines are tangerine and the truck engines are green. The picture must have been taken during 1952 production and included in the 1953 Ford book.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #23
Mart

Having read the posts from people more familiar with the later motors, and taking into account the source of the photo, I'd have no problem believing this was a regular production facility rather than a rebuild setup.

I'd like to see more pics in a similar vein. I've been in the automobile industry for 40 years, so I'm fascinated by this stuff. I was at ford's Yucca proving ground when it was the 50th anniversary of that site and they had some great archive photo's on display. I wish some of those could be made available.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 05:56 PM   #24
supereal

They don't show the transmission, but flathead Lincolns were often fitted with the GM Hydramatic transmissions, a Ford didn't have their own automatic until later.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote